If we don't sign Nate | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If we don't sign Nate

To concur with Dasher, we do not FEEL like we are in 1st place with Nate, but they have no official word and have not been told anything negative , however, it's a "gut" feeling and they do not know if it is Nebraska or Washington in the lead.
When they have told me in the past, doesn't look great, 99.99% we lose, happened with Swider and the kid who just went to Duke (from white plains now in atlanta)
Also sounds like Carrigan is not an option, they have started working on someone else, do not know who, but they have wheels in motion.
I would prefer a grad transfer for 1 year if we need someone, especially when we are "in" the game on so many big time players for 19. It is very possible they go this route.
Regardless, they do want to add another body, not going into next season without adding another big.
We have been off the grid with Simi for months now, not happening.
I am thrilled with our class regardless, we are in great shape.

Have a great weekend

To be honest, hearing that Nebraska and Washington are our comp seems about right. I am not that impressed with his 2017 spring highlight film from that Catholic School tourney in the DC area. People in this thread have talked about Arinze and Rick as "below the rim" players, but this guy looks a lot more like Chino Obokoh to me than he does Arinze or Rick. I'm not sure he will ever be more than a role player for us, unless he's made huge improvements since March.

To be honest, hearing that Nebraska and Washington are our comp seems about right. I am not that impressed with his 2017 spring highlight film from that Catholic School tourney in the DC area. People in this thread have talked about Arinze and Rick as "below the rim" players, but this guy looks a lot more like Chino Obokoh to me than he does Arinze or Rick. I'm not sure he will ever be more than a role player for us, unless he's made huge improvements since March.

I think you make a really good point. With two top 40 recruits on board already, maybe we should set our sights on a bigger fish? Maybe we can do better than Nate? I'm of the belief that there are still big fish available out there and that may only increase with the number of players decomitting and the potential for more to come. Even UNC could lose some big recruits if they get the hammer.

I think you make a really good point. With two top 40 recruits on board already, maybe we should set our sights on a bigger fish? Maybe we can do better than Nate? I'm of the belief that there are still big fish available out there and that may only increase with the number of players decomitting and the potential for more to come. Even UNC could lose some big recruits if they get the hammer.

um, I am sorry, hammering UNC is not within the NCAA's hands off blueblood jurisdiction.

So if they're going simply on a gut reaction, how can they be 99.99 percent sure? That doesn't make any sense.
Trust your instincts.

disagree. he's a late bloomer who is still growing into his body. you recruit him for what he's going to be as a college junior, not for what he is now.

disagree. he's a late bloomer who is still growing into his body. you recruit him for what he's going to be as a college junior, not for what he is now.
That is exactly it. He may be Chino. But we aren't recruiting him for the player we think he is right now. It is who we think he will be in a couple of years.

Meh. Our track record with bigs who are projects has not been good in recent years.
he's not a typical project, though; they usually are defenders/rebounders who you hope can develop an offensive game. nate already has obvious offensive skills. but he just went through a major growth spurt and he needs to learn how to use his longer body.

I think Nate is an interesting prospect, and have no issue with pursuing him. Where my stance differs is that if we're willing to take on Nate, there is no reason to not try for other players who ARE still available, and possibly better. The strength of our recruiting class may help in the recruiting process, in ways not possible in the past because of the scandal. An elite school that is not being investigated or suspected that already has a top 10 class would be VERY enticing if I were an elite high school recruit today.

Euros or fifth year transfers.

But a big is a luxury, not an imperative, given the current roster composition. It helps if you have faith in Sidibe's potential.
I think a big is a must, more than a luxury. But that's mostly me having little to no faith that Chukwu will ever be a significant contributor. He can play 10 minutes, but I think we need more out of the Center position. If Sidibe will be that guy, that is great, but I want to see him first. We need depth behind Sidibe, at the very least, because if he and Chukwu aren't providing much impact, we have to find someone else. We don't have a Lydon type who can swing inside to play C in the zone, so we do need the help.

I think a big is a must, more than a luxury. But that's mostly me having little to no faith that Chukwu will ever be a significant contributor. He can play 10 minutes, but I think we need more out of the Center position. If Sidibe will be that guy, that is great, but I want to see him first. We need depth behind Sidibe, at the very least, because if he and Chukwu aren't providing much impact, we have to find someone else. We don't have a Lydon type who can swing inside to play C in the zone, so we do need the help.

That's fair, but we might have that guy in Moyer.

I would prefer to land a big. But I don't think it is the end of the world if we don't. And if we don't reel in Roberts, there will be other ways to land a quality prospect.

I've been saying the same thing for 5 years.
DeJuan was supposed to be that guy but he had a severe injury--which we were hopeful he could recover from. Then we lost Moustapha Diagne, who we thought could play PF and center and contribute right away, one month before school started. And also probably lost out on Thomas Bryant because of the sanctions. Now, one week before school starts, we lose our center TT, who had a very polished offensive game. We've had a string of bad luck at center lately.

DeJuan was supposed to be that guy but he had a severe injury--which we were hopeful he could recover from. Then we lost Moustapha Diagne, who we thought could play PF and center and contribute right away, one month before school started. And also probably lost out on Thomas Bryant because of the sanctions. Now, one week before school starts, we lose our center TT, who had a very polished offensive game. We've had a string of bad luck at center lately.
Boy you got that right. Prior to the ones you mentioned, we lost Arinze to a freak injury and Fab to some strange academic troubles. Then last season, Chukwu suffers a season ending eye injury. I mean, our run of bad luck (at center especially) has to be over, right?

Last edited:

Very good points. It underscores the need to get a big man. Like I've said, I like Nate's potential. But our willingness to take on a prospect like Nate to the exclusion of other available guys I find very strange. It makes no sense to recruit Nate but not show interest in other bigs ranked higher. Are there red flags out there on the other highly rated big guys available that would justify our lack of pursuit? I'm seriously trying to understand this. I think our top ten class combined with other schools in trouble gives us an added recruiting edge. I think JB and crew have done an AMAZING job with this class, so this really puzzles me.

That's fair, but we might have that guy in Moyer.

I would prefer to land a big. But I don't think it is the end of the world if we don't. And if we don't reel in Roberts, there will be other ways to land a quality prospect.
Maybe Moyer can play there. He's a 6'8" guy without a ton of bulk, so that'd hardly be ideal.

Hope this doesn't develop into a situation where the zone can't work successfully 100% of the time because we don't have the defensive pieces. Of course, there's more than enough time for this to sort itself out.

So much of this thread is puzzling to me. We have a top ten class, there are quality bigs available which is a need of this team. Why are we not pursuing another Big besides Roberts? Please help me understand:

1. We would recruit Nate Roberts, but not pursue the other available bigs that are rated higher?
2. Moyer can man the middle in lieu of Chukwu or Sidibe???
3. We would rather sign a grad transfer (that we do not know will be available or willing) when there are bigs right now that are uncommitted and rated higher than Roberts?

I've yet to have anyone satisfactorily explain the lack of interest in any big besides Nate. It's not a lack of confidence in anyone in particular on the roster. But quality 4/5 depth is a concern if we are seriously thinking Moyer can man that position. Chukwu and Sidibe might do a fine job, or they may struggle. Both are unknown commodities, given that Sidibe is a freshman, and Chukwu played very little last year due to his eye injury.

I think JB and staff have done an amazing job with this recruiting class. But I want another ring for JB, and a parting middle finger for his farewell tour. We need to keep this positive momentum going. If there is a reason for putting on the breaks, I'd love to know it...

So much of this thread is puzzling to me. We have a top ten class, there are quality bigs available which is a need of this team. Why are we not pursuing another Big besides Roberts? Please help me understand:

1. We would recruit Nate Roberts, but not pursue the other available bigs that are rated higher?
3. We would rather sign a grad transfer (that we do not know will be available or willing) when there are bigs right now that are uncommitted and rated higher than Roberts?

I've yet to have anyone satisfactorily explain the lack of interest in any big besides Nate. It's not a lack of confidence in anyone in particular on the roster. But quality 4/5 depth is a concern if we are seriously thinking Moyer can man that position. Chukwu and Sidibe might do a fine job, or they may struggle. Both are unknown commodities, given that Sidibe is a freshman, and Chukwu played very little last year due to his eye injury.

I think JB and staff have done an amazing job with this recruiting class. But I want another ring for JB, and a parting middle finger for his farewell tour. We need to keep this positive momentum going. If there is a reason for putting on the breaks, I'd love to know it...

Here is the simple thing you don't seem to get. The reason we are not pursuing higher rated players is because Boeheim already gauged their interest behind the scenes and found out they are not interested in coming here. Pretty much his only job is finding the best possible players to come play here, and he's got the second most wins all time so he's the best of the best of the best at this job. He didn't just forget to check in with the best players. He knows exactly which players he can get and which players he cannot get, and he goes all in for the ones that will make for the best team. Going after players who have no interest in coming here just makes it harder to actually land players who might want to come.

Believe it or not, your idea of recruiting the best possible players has already occurred to our coach, and to every other coach in the history of college basketball.

I share your concern about having quality centers on the roster, but who are these highly rated centers that we should recruit? I'm not seeing any with interest in SU.

You talk about going after top bigs who are still available, who do you see that is available and who would you go after first or the few you would go after?

Here is the simple thing you don't seem to get. The reason we are not pursuing higher rated players is because Boeheim already gauged their interest behind the scenes and found out they are not interested in coming here. Pretty much his only job is finding the best possible players to come play here, and he's got the second most wins all time so he's the best of the best of the best at this job. He didn't just forget to check in with the best players. He knows exactly which players he can get and which players he cannot get, and he goes all in for the ones that will make for the best team. Going after players who have no interest in coming here just makes it harder to actually land players who might want to come.

Believe it or not, your idea of recruiting the best possible players has already occurred to our coach, and to every other coach in the history of college basketball.

I fully concur with the concept of your argument but to play devil's advocate, the question is why would a program of Syracuse's stature only be able to attract guys in the 200 range? (appreciating he met be under-ranked).. Surely there are big men ranked considerably higher who we should be able to lock in, or at least have a number of options beyond Nate Roberts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom