If we go 15-3 and pitt goes 16-2 | Syracusefan.com

If we go 15-3 and pitt goes 16-2

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
do we get a 1 seed? im not saying pitt would get a 1 seed since their non conference sucked, but i would think we'd need to win the regular season in a down acc to get a 1 seed. if pitt 16-2 cuse 15-3 happens we'd probably need to win acc tournament to get a 1.

a duke win tonite would put us in better position to win the regular season, 2 up in loss column on pitt who i think can go 16-2.

pitt isn't going 16-2. No one in the ACC will pull that off.

15-3 for Cuse = 1 seed, IMO.

pitt isn't going 16-2. No one in the ACC will pull that off.

15-3 for Cuse = 1 seed, IMO.

pitt is very good and they have an easier schedule than us. i think its possible. their road games rest of the way are miami, north carolina, boston college, notre dame, and clemson. theyre tough to beat at home no matter who they play.

pitt is very good and they have an easier schedule than us. i think its possible. their road games rest of the way are miami, north carolina, boston college, notre dame, and clemson. theyre tough to beat at home no matter who they play.
I don't dispute that Pitt is very good, but it's extremely rare to waltz through conference play with 16 wins. You're asking them to finish 11-1. Every team will lose to someone they shouldn't, and it will probably happen twice.

Pitt is good. They're not Arizona. Not Kansas. Not even Kentucky, IMO.

This is the point of the season where it seems easy to project teams (nearly) running the table, but it really never happens.

Pitt non-conference wins away from the Pete- Stanford, Texas Tech, losses away from the Pete-Cincinnati
Pitt non-conference wins at home- Penn State

Syracuse non-conference wins away from the Dome-St. John's, Minnesota, California, Baylor
Syracuse non-conference wins at the Dome- Villanova, Indiana

Pitt can go 16-2 and if we go 14-4 we will have the higher seed in the NCAA Tournament barring them winning the ACC Tournament as well.

do we get a 1 seed? im not saying pitt would get a 1 seed since their non conference sucked, but i would think we'd need to win the regular season in a down acc to get a 1 seed. if pitt 16-2 cuse 15-3 happens we'd probably need to win acc tournament to get a 1.

a duke win tonite would put us in better position to win the regular season, 2 up in loss column on pitt who i think can go 16-2.
If we go 15-3 in ACC play (and 28-3 overall for the regular season), we would probably still be a #1 seed but could drop to a 2 if we did not win the ACC tournament.

To me, being a #1 seed isn't that important. I just want to finish in front of Pitt. That should guarantee us the Buffalo/MSG path to the Final Four that the team has been working for all regular season.

Hell Wichita State has a better non-conference resume than Pitt. They beat DePaul and BYU in Kansas City, beat Tennessee at home, and won @St. Louis(who is ranked), and @Alabama.

Pitt's non-conference schedule is a joke if we are even close to them they are nowhere near the 1 line.

im not saying pitt will be seeded higher than us if they finish 16-2, they would probably get a 2 seed, im just saying for us to get a 1 seed i think we need to win the regular season in a down acc.

It depends more on other teams as much as Pitt.

West : AZ call this a lock.

Midwest: KU or Wst or a BiG school? Probably 1-1 seed and 2 -2 seeds here possibly another 2-seed from the BiG. If there were a second they would be competing for the south more than likely.

South: Florida has to be in the running here but its up for grabs really.

East: SU in front. Nova has 2 losses one to us very hard to jump us. Pitt would have to win out, unlikely. Duke would have to beat us twice and lose only one more along the way also very unlikely.

Its really the group of teams that wants the Midwest 1-seed and how deserving Florida is as a 1-seed. If Florida runs out and 2 of those 3 Midwest teams deserve a 1 it could get close.

If Pitt finishes 16-2 and Syracuse get Buffalo/MSG honestly I won't care if we are 1 or 2 seed. Pitt's non-conference schedule is going to weigh them down. Also, because they don't have any big wins away from home because they are playing the top 4 ACC teams Duke, Syracuse, Virginia, Florida State all at home and already lost at Syracuse hurts them. The committee values neutral court/away wins a lot more. Pitt won't have any wins on the other top 4 ACC's teams homecourts and the best they could do is win neutral court games in Greensboro in March.

It depends more on other teams as much as Pitt.

West : AZ call this a lock.

Midwest: KU or Wst or a BiG school? Probably 1-1 seed and 2 -2 seeds here possibly another 2-seed from the BiG. If there were a second they would be competing for the south more than likely.

South: Florida has to be in the running here but its up for grabs really.

East: SU in front. Nova has 2 losses one to us very hard to jump us. Pitt would have to win out, unlikely. Duke would have to beat us twice and lose only one more along the way also very unlikely.

Its really the group of teams that wants the Midwest 1-seed and how deserving Florida is as a 1-seed. If Florida runs out and 2 of those 3 Midwest teams deserve a 1 it could get close.
I think its like this.

East-Syracuse, Villanova, Florida in contention

Midwest and South-Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas, Kentucky, Wichita State in contention

West-Arizona is a lock

I think its like this.

East-Syracuse, Villanova, Florida in contention

Midwest and South-Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas, Kentucky, Wichita State in contention

West-Arizona is a lock

Unless UK beats Florida every time they play them they cannot get a 1 seed IMO. Simply not enough good wins. They lost to every good team they have played other than Lville who is a team that was a wreck at the time and is just getting it back together.

Florida very well could be the team that wound up as the 1 in the east if they deserve a 1-seed but I would think they prefer the South geographically.

I think the BiG10 could take itself out of the running for a 1 because they are and will continue pound each other. More likely 2 2seeds right now but certainly they could pull a 1 seed.

BiG12 is weird because Kansas is on a roll and has the best schedule and RPI but they have 4 (I think, Nova, Fl, Col, one other) losses and will probably slip up once or twice along the way finishing at 5/6 loses. WichSt I think simply can only peak at a 2 and that's going on last years rep because that resume just doesn't have a lot of strength.

If we lose three and Pitt loses two in the ACC, then we have an equal number of losses, right (their extra loss being vs. Cincy)? We will have tied our head-to-head (assuming that's one of our losses), and we have an undoubtedly harder non-conference schedule. I'm not sure how all of that adds up to them getting a higher seed than us.

I'm not sure who would take a 1 seed from us is the issue. Maybe if we flame out in the ACCT, but if we win at least a game, i am not sure where the better resume comes from

It appears to me that the risk is You get Arizona, Kansas (or a B1G team), Florida, and Wichita State ends up stealing the #1 in the east. If we don't get the #1 seed, you have to assume the committee will ship us somewhere so we don't play a "home game" against a higher seed like we did in Albany. Look at our remaining schedule, we should all know we are going to lose a couple games. I am still worried that since those losses could be close together and close to the end of the season, they will look like a slide and cost us the 1 seed just on perception. I'm fairly convinced we will need a 1 seed to stay in the east. If WSU comes in gets MSG I will go ape.

It appears to me that the risk is You get Arizona, Kansas (or a B1G team), Florida, and Wichita State ends up stealing the #1 in the east. If we don't get the #1 seed, you have to assume the committee will ship us somewhere so we don't play a "home game" against a higher seed like we did in Albany. Look at our remaining schedule, we should all know we are going to lose a couple games. I am still worried that since those losses could be close together and close to the end of the season, they will look like a slide and cost us the 1 seed just on perception. I'm fairly convinced we will need a 1 seed to stay in the east. If WSU comes in gets MSG I will go ape.

the committe doesnt look at "last 10 games" anymore. its all about the "overall body of work." so technically losing 3 games in february shouldnt penalize us any more than if we lost 1 game in dec, 1 in jan, and 1 in feb.

I'm not sold we need a one seed to stay in the east. If we aren't a 1-seed we would be one of the higher 2-seeds and should still get our region at least. Like last year we were a 4 but got to play in DC for the regional. Just because no matter what eastern schools they put in the east regional we would have the most fans shouldn't and I hope wouldn't mean we shouldn't be there. Nova will be a protected seed in the east without being a 1 why wouldn't we also be?

the committe doesnt look at "last 10 games" anymore. its all about the "overall body of work." so technically losing 3 games in february shouldnt penalize us any more than if we lost 1 game in dec, 1 in jan, and 1 in feb.

I agree technically but perception wise it most likely still has an effect if you are splitting hairs between two teams for seed line and you know in the back of your head that one team lost 3 of he last 10 while the other won the last 10 including their conference tourney. Luckily there aren't that many teams we are competing with that can be undefeated in the last 10.

I'm not sold we need a one seed to stay in the east. If we aren't a 1-seed we would be one of the higher 2-seeds and should still get our region at least. Like last year we were a 4 but got to play in DC for the regional. Just because no matter what eastern schools they put in the east regional we would have the most fans shouldn't and I hope wouldn't mean we shouldn't be there. Nova will be a protected seed in the east without being a 1 why wouldn't we also be?

This is all about people thinking MSG is a second home court for us. Waaayy different than Nova getting placed there and waayy waaayyy different than us being put in DC last year. I hope we don't have to worry aout it, just get the #1, but if we don't get it, I'm worried it'll Buffalo and then a take steam ship to get to our regional.

This is all about people thinking MSG is a second home court for us. Waaayy different than Nova getting placed there and waayy waaayyy different than us being put in DC last year. I hope we don't have to worry aout it, just get the #1, but if we don't get it, I'm worried it'll Buffalo and then a take steam ship to get to our regional.

But it doesn't matter is the point. They try to get the top 4 seeds into the closest Geographical bracket they can anymore. Most would be fine moving down 1 seed line to play the regional at the closest sight possible. Remember the year Nova played the regional on their actual homecourt because they cut down the number of games they played there that season. Percieved homecourt should mean nothing we should be in the east regional unless we fall off the map.

IMO, SU can get Buffalo/MSG as a 2 seed . . . hell, we got Boston/Albany as a 3 seed back in 03.

I would almost rather see it happen that way, just so we could read all the pissed off (and scared) fans of whoever gets the 1 seed

I'll go on record as saying I think this year's Pitt team is excellent - and I think they could be that 3 or 4 seed that sneaks into the Final Four.

Pitt has a big week ahead of them. Lets revisit this conversation a week from today

Pitt has a big week ahead of them. Lets revisit this conversation a week from today
if everything goes in our favor, then on Sunday night the top of the ACC standings will be

SU 8-0 (beats Wake & Duke)
UVA 6-2 (loses at ND , beats Pitt)
Pitt 5-3 (loses to Duke & UVA)
Duke 5-3 (beats Pitt, loses to SU)

of course, that means Pitt loses 2 in a row at home, so more likely that Pitt & UVA switch places, but we can hope. I'd much rather have a 3 game lead on Pitt than on UVA

I don't think they would ship us out of the East to keep us from playing at MSG.

In 2008, Texas was a 2 seed with Houston as the regional. We were a 3 in Newark in 2011. Kansas was a 2 in St. Louis in 2012. UCLA was a 2 in San Jose in 2007 and a 2 in Oakland in 2006. Not all direct comps, but I am not worried about being shipped out because they dont want to give us a home game against a 1 seed in the elite 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom