If you were king for a day, what would you change about our program? | Syracusefan.com

If you were king for a day, what would you change about our program?

RF2044

Living Legend
Please note, this is not a thread intending / designed to bash Jim Boeheim. But if your preferences would be taken into account, what systemic changes would you like to see made for Syracuse University basketball?

Here's my list:
  • Recruit more basketball PLAYERS -- we've had a lot of success recruiting a certain profile of athlete to maximize their fit for the zone defense. But this strategy [while it can certainly optimize the defense] is directly responsible for some of the offensive struggles we've had in recent years. Especially with respect to the backcourt / wing positions. My opinion only, but I believe that there is a direct correlation to the poor offense we've seen some seasons, and having a deficiency of guys who can pass, dribble, and shoot. Guys like James Southerland are great defensively in the zone, but being limited with respect to perimeter versatility hamstrings the offense, especially when we face good defensive teams. By no means am I advocating going back to a situation where we have a 6-3 guy like Josh Pace manning the back line of the zone. But I'd much rather have wings who can shoot, put the ball on the floor, set up teammates, etc. -- a 6-6 or 6-7 guy who can do those things [like Theo Pinson or the guys Villanova seems to have manning the 3 seemingly every year] would offer adequate size on the back line [a la Kris Joseph]. We have lots of athletes, we need more guys who have high levels of basketball skill -- especially on the perimeter positions.
  • Expanded use of the bench -- Jim Boeheim isn't the only coach who uses a 7 player rotation, but this is one area where I philosophically differ, and would prefer to see a more expanded use of the bench. I'm not suggesting that we have to run platoons of 10-12 players like some teams. But given my druthers, I'd like to see our players NOT leading the nation in minutes played. Beyond getting a bit more rest, playing more guys would help develop the bench and also enable us to get after it defensively more aggressively. Which segues into my next point...
  • Defensive diversification -- I have no problem whatsoever being a heavy base zone team. In fact, I wouldn't care if we play zone 95+ percent of the time. But there are times when teams either get into a groove playing against the zone, or we allow them to dictate game tempo. Being able to switch out of zone to force the opposition to adjust would be disruptive and force the other team to react instead of just settling into a comfort zone [pun intended]. We use a press as a situational option, but generally only when we're trailing by a substantial amount. My strong preference would be to see us switch it up more often, while still employing the zone as a differentiating base package that is challenging for most teams to prepare for / simulate in practice. Mixing things up would also facilitate the two previous bullets above, without having any square peg / round hole situations.
  • Recruit true lead guards -- this correlates with my first bullet above, but takes it a step further. College basketball is a heavily guard-driven game, and if there is one position where you shouldn't sacrifice skill for size, it's at point guard. Combo guards might provide bigger targets for the opposition to shoot over up top, but what we sacrifice in terms of running the team isn't worth the trade off. And please note that JB has shown a willingness to recruit smaller point guards [examples--Flynn, GMac, Green last year], so it isn't unprecedented. But we shouldn't make trade offs with respect to the most important position on the floor.
  • Recruit a full roster -- JB generally eschews recruiting a full roster -- in all likelihood, due to the fact that he doesn't play a ton of guys. Keeping an open scholarship [or two] also enables him to elevate walk ons to scholarship status, which has a beneficial effect on boosting our team's APR rating. But the sanctions dug deep, and provided us with an extreme glimpse of what happens when we don't have a full compliment of scholarship players, and have unanticipated attrition and / or injuries [or both]. If we used the bench more, then it wouldn't be difficult to have 11 or 12 guys on scholarship, and keep the majority of them happy. Having 6 or 7 guys playing due to injuries and other factors these past two seasons has been absurd, putting it mildly.
  • Pick a recruiting style and COMMIT to it -- our program's success has long been tied to getting quality system fits who end up being "better" than their rankings most of the team. And true to form, some of our best teams have blended high quality four-year program types with a sprinkling of higher rated players. But it seems as though we've deviated from that strategy a bit since 2012. The type of athletes we recruit are attractive to the NBA, which is why we've had guys jump to the league -- even those that don't seem "ready." Further complicating the situation is that we rarely land blue chippers -- so the guys we bring in that jump early generally aren't dynamic enough to put the team on their backs and take us to the next level. So we get the worst of both worlds -- decent but not transcendent play for the most part, and then many of them bail before actualizing their potential. I believe that we're suffering from our in-between recruiting approach. We're never going to recruit like the UK,'s Duke's, Arizona's, or Kansas's of the world that land classes full of blue chip prospects every year. And our younger guys often appear perpetually disadvantaged playing against teams that recruit four year players and retain those guys for the full duration of their careers [examples of teams successfully deploying that strategy are Virginia, Villanova, and Notre Dame]. This ties to the previous bullet -- we need more four year program guys to balance out the ebbs-and-flows of attrition, to enhance depth, and to step into bigger, more important roles when they become upperclassmen. We've lacked that stability for several seasons [with the exception of the 2016 backcourt], to the detriment of team performance. We need to decide whether we're going all in on blue chippers, or all in on guys who stick around for a few seasons. Because being in the middle and failing to accomplish either of those things isn't getting the job done.
  • Lighten the mood -- college basketball is serious business, and these coaches face a lot of stress. One of JB's strengths as a coach is to not wear his emotions on his sleeves, and to avoid ranting and raving on the sidelines like many coaches do. This calm demeanor rubs off on the team, even when things are going poorly. But JB can also be acerbic, with a sharp tongue. And his lack of filter can wear on the team -- especially without a "good cop" to balance him out. Seeing the video clip of our team reacting to making the tournament was incredible -- and a marked contrast to seeing a positive kid like Matt Moyer sitting on the bench sullen these past 10 games, while JB rips into him on the sidelines. Sometimes the people who are the best in their field make it to that level because they are relentless -- and JB is clearly no exception. But I wish that he would lighten up a bit on the players. I think it is costing him the close relational tie that he clearly has with guys from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s teams -- that's why those players return in droves and follow the team around the nation during tournament time. I hate to see him lose touch with an entire generation of players from our program who've had a different experience than their predecessors. Let the kids have fun out there.
  • Dictate tempo to the opposition, not the other way around -- too often, we settle into games and let the opponent dictate tempo while we sit back in zone. This is especially problematic when we face strong rebounding teams, who might miss a shot or two or three, but retain possessions by hitting the offensive boards hard. We used to run teams off of the floor -- I hate letting inferior teams hang around and shorten the game, which mitigates the talent difference. Even against teams that are better [on paper], I'd like to see us take it to them more, look to force turnovers that lead to run-out opportunities and easy scores in transition. ESPECIALLY given that we've been offensively challenged. At one point late in the conference tournament game against UNC, they showed a graphic that indicated that late in the game, we had ZERO fast break points. Zero. That's unacceptable.
Curious to hear what other ideas some of you might have.

Last edited:
Please note, this is not a thread intending / designed to bash Jim Boeheim. But if your preferences would be taken into account, what systemic changes would you like to see made for Syracuse University basketball?

Here's my list:
  • Recruit more basketball PLAYERS -- we've had a lot of success recruiting a certain profile of athlete to maximize their fit for the zone defense. But this strategy [while it can certainly optimize the defense] is directly responsible for some of the offensive struggles we've had in recent years. Especially with respect to the backcourt / wing positions. My opinion only, but I believe that there is a direct correlation to the poor offense we've seen some seasons, and having a deficiency of guys who can pass, dribble, and shoot. Guys like James Southerland are great defensively in the zone, but being limited with respect to perimeter versatility. By no means am I advocating going back to a situation where we have a 6-3 guy like Josh Pace manning the back line of the zone. But I'd much rather have wings who can shoot, put the ball on the floor, set up teammates, etc. -- a 6-6 or 6-7 guy who can do those things [like Theo Pinson or the guys Villanova seems to have manning the 3 seemingly every year] would offer plenty of size. We have lots of athletes, we need more guys who excel -- especially on the perimeter positions.
  • Expanded use of the bench -- Jim Boeheim isn't the only coach who uses a 7 player rotation, but this is one area where I philosophically differ, and would prefer to see a more expanded use of the bench. I'm not suggesting that we have to run platoons of 10-12 players like some teams. But given my druthers, I'd like to see our players NOT leading the nation in minutes played. Beyond getting a bit more rest, playing more guys would help develop the bench and also enable us to get after it defensively more aggressively. Which segues into my next point...
  • Defensive diversification -- I have no problem whatsoever being a heavy base zone team. In fact, I wouldn't care if we play zone 95+ percent of the time. But there are times when teams either get into a groove playing against the zone, or we allow them to dictate game tempo. Being able to switch out of zone to force the opposition to adjust would be disruptive and force the other team to react instead of just settling into a comfort zone [pun intended]. We use a press as a situational option, but generally only when we're trailing by a substantial amount. My strong preference would be to see us switch it up more often, while still employing the zone as a differentiating base package that is challenging for most teams to prepare for / simulate in practice. Mixing things up would also facilitate the two previous bullets above, without having any square peg / round hole situations.
  • Recruit true lead guards -- this correlates with my first bullet above, but takes it a step further. College basketball is a heavily guard-driven game, and if there is one position where you shouldn't sacrifice skill for size, it's at point guard. Combo guards might provide bigger targets for the opposition to shoot over up top, but what we sacrifice in terms of running the team isn't worth the trade off. And please note that JB has shown a willingness to recruit smaller point guards [examples--Flynn, GMac, Green last year], so it isn't unprecedented. But we shouldn't make trade offs with respect to the most important position on the floor.
  • Recruit a full roster -- JB generally eschews recruiting a full roster -- in all likelihood, due to the fact that he doesn't play a ton of guys. Keeping an open scholarship [or two] also enables him to elevate walk ons to scholarship status, which has a beneficial effect on boosting our team's APR rating. But the sanctions dug deep, and provided us with an extreme glimpse of what happens when we don't have a full compliment of scholarship players, and have unanticipated attrition and / or injuries [or both]. If we used the bench more, then it wouldn't be difficult to have 11 or 12 guys on scholarship, and keep the majority of them happy. Having 6 or 7 guys playing due to injuries and other factors these past two seasons has been absurd, putting it mildly.
  • Pick a recruiting style and COMMIT to it -- our program's success has long been tied to getting quality system fits who end up being "better" than their rankings most of the team. And true to form, some of our best teams have blended high quality four-year program types with a sprinkling of higher rated players. But it seems as though we've deviated from that strategy a bit since 2012. The type of athletes we recruit are attractive to the NBA, which is why we've had guys jump to the league -- even those that don't seem "ready." Further complicating the situation is that we rarely land blue chippers -- so the guys we bring in that jump early generally aren't dynamic enough to put the team on their backs and take us to the next level. So we get the worst of both worlds -- decent but not transcendent play for the most part, and then many of them bail before actualizing their potential. I believe that we're suffering from our in-between recruiting approach. We're never going to recruit like the UK,'s Duke's, Arizona's, or Kansas's of the world that land classes full of blue chip prospects every year. And we seem perpetually disadvantaged compared to a couple of teams that recruit four year players, and retain those guys for the full duration of their careers [examples of teams successfully deploying that strategy are Virginia, Villanova, and Notre Dame]. This ties to the previous bullet -- we need more four year program guys to balance out the ebbs-and-flows of attrition, to enhance depth, and to play important roles when they become upperclassmen. We've lacked that stability for several seasons [with the exception of the 2016 backcourt], to the detriment of team performance. We need to decide whether we're going all in on blue chippers, or all in on guys who stick around for a few seasons. Because being in the middle and failing to accomplish either of those things isn't getting the job done.
  • Lighten the mood -- college basketball is serious business, and these coaches face a lot of stress. One of JB's strengths as a coach is to not wear his emotions on his sleeves, and to avoid ranting and raving on the sidelines like many coaches do. This calm demeanor rubs off on the team, even when things are going poorly. But JB can also be acerbic, with a sharp tongue. And his lack of filter can wear on the team -- especially without a "good cop" to balance him out. Seeing the video clip of our team reacting to making the tournament was incredible -- and a marked contrast to seeing a positive kid like Matt Moyer sitting on the bench sullen these past 10 games, while JB rips into him on the sidelines. Sometimes the people who are the best in their field make it to that level because they are relentless -- and JB is clearly no exception. But I wish that he would lighten up a bit on the players. I think it is costing him the close relational tie that he clearly has with guys from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s teams -- that's why those players return in droves and follow the team around the nation during tournament time. I hate to see him lose touch with an entire generation of players from our program who've had a different experience than their predecessors. Let the kids have fun out there.
  • Dictate tempo to the opposition, not the other way around -- too often, we settle into games and let the opponent dictate tempo while we sit back in zone. This is especially problematic when we face strong rebounding teams, who might miss a shot or two or three, but retain possessions by hitting the offensive boards hard. We used to run teams off of the floor -- I hate letting inferior teams hang around and shorten the game, which mitigates the talent difference. Even against teams that are better [on paper], I'd like to see us take it to them more, look to force turnovers that lead to run-out opportunities and easy scores in transition. ESPECIALLY given that we've been offensively challenged. At one point late in the conference tournament game against UNC, they showed a graphic that indicated that late in the game, we had ZERO fast break points. Zero. That's unacceptable.
You nailed them all.
We can be a zone team but I would be 95% zone and when we needed it just switch to confuse an opponent like a boxer going southpaw.

Filling up the roster is huge.
We need bodies to develop.

i'm convinced there is a tradeoff between offense and defense here and I don't know what to do about it

we need bigger guards for the zone that can shoot. it's really hard to find them

we need to teach big guards how to shoot better. don't know if it's possible

i'm convinced there is a tradeoff between offense and defense here and I don't know what to do about it

we need bigger guards for the zone that can shoot. it's really hard to find them

This is the type of player we ignore because of the zone.
Markus Howard, Marquette, Point Guard

This is the type of player we ignore because of the zone.
Markus Howard, Marquette, Point Guard
I don’t know if we ignored him because of the zone or because Quade said he was coming to Syracuse then changed his mind at the last minute. The problem, as you’ve pointed out numerous times, is the lack of a backup plan. In reality, there is always a backup plan. See Howard Washington.

Your first bullet is something I've been harping on for years. We need kids to come in that are shooters and know how to score (Tyus, Malachi yes, Buddy hopefully, etc), but maybe more pressing is the need to bring in bigs with some actual ability. We rarely, if ever, bring in skilled PF/C types and that's really due to the zone needing long athletes that fit the physical profile. I would rather sacrifice some height for some bulk/strength and offensive ability. Ideally, we'd be more athletic at PF and C, too. Center is my bigger qualm as we see to be trending away from guys with size and athleticism (Watkins, Fab, Christmas) in favor of pure length/height.

Our perimeter guys, as you mentioned, really tend to struggle with ball handling, play making and overall fundamentals. That can't happen in this day and age of college basketball. Guard play is so important and with refereeing at an all-time low, players that aren't bothered by hand checks and reach ins, while being able to create are very important. Our guys can barely keep their dribble. We pick it up 30 feet from the basket, get caught mid-air and commit a ton of offensive fouls. It's not good offensive play or skills.

The lead guard comment is legit, too. Guys that can actually run an offense with tight handles and offensive ability. They can be 6'1"; we don't always need 6'4" and taller guards with questionable handles and raw offensive games. Give me a legit quarterback.

We aren't in the Big East any more where games could be rock fights. The ACC is filled with programs that can score. In college basketball, you have to play good D to win, but more importantly, you can't be so limited offensively.

I wish we would speed the tempo back up. Slowing games to a crawl leaves a much smaller margin for error. If we're going to turn it over 15x a game and struggle to shoot, we can't expect to be very successful while limiting our possessions. Run an offense, look to get shots earlier and go from there. I'm hoping beyond hopes that we've slowed down so much because of bench issues. Hopefully, that'll change next year with a full bench of seemingly capable and complementary pieces.

I'm guessing the extended use of the bench, diversified defense and mood aren't changing. JB is what he is. Maybe we'll see some more press next year, please.

• run a modern offense tailored to the strengths of our players
  • convince Cam Reddish to flip
  • fully renovate the dome and anything else necessary (dorms?)
  • de-age Jimmy by 50 years
  • lock down Dino for life

Last edited:
Please note, this is not a thread intending / designed to bash Jim Boeheim.
Good luck.

Bigger guards that can shoot are usually top-5 and NBA bound. SU generally recruits a lot of tweeners that are athletic but undersized SFs or PFs. They either develop basketball skills and are NBA-bound (where their tweener-ism inhibits their NBA success) or never develop enough. This season, a team with a PG, FH at 2, TB at the 3, and OB at the 4 would be a much more balanced offensive team, IMO.

Good luck.

Bigger guards that can shoot are usually top-5 and NBA bound. SU generally recruits a lot tweeners that are athletic but undersized SFs or PFs. They either develop basketball skills and are NBA-bound (where their tweener-ism inhibits their NBA success) or never develop enough. This season, a team with a PG, FH at 2, TB at the 3, and OB at the 4 would be a much more balanced offensive team, IMO.
the zone needs big guards. other teams don't need big guards as much as we do. that's why i talk about tradeoffs, i know big guards that can do it all are rare

Good luck.

Bigger guards that can shoot are usually top-5 and NBA bound. SU generally recruits a lot tweeners that are athletic but undersized SFs or PFs. They either develop basketball skills and are NBA-bound (where their tweener-ism inhibits their NBA success) or never develop enough. This season, a team with a PG, FH at 2, TB at the 3, and OB at the 4 would be a much more balanced offensive team, IMO.
Agreed. We can recruit 6'6"-6'8" athletic wings and the minute they show any offensive game, they'll bounce. If they don't develop any offensive skills, they hurt our ability to win.

Here's my list:
  • Recruit more basketball PLAYERS -- we've had a lot of success recruiting a certain profile of athlete to maximize their fit for the zone defense. But this strategy [while it can certainly optimize the defense] is directly responsible for some of the offensive struggles we've had in recent years. Especially with respect to the backcourt / wing positions. My opinion only, but I believe that there is a direct correlation to the poor offense we've seen some seasons, and having a deficiency of guys who can pass, dribble, and shoot. Guys like James Southerland are great defensively in the zone, but being limited with respect to perimeter versatility hamstrings the offense, especially when we face good defensive teams. By no means am I advocating going back to a situation where we have a 6-3 guy like Josh Pace manning the back line of the zone. But I'd much rather have wings who can shoot, put the ball on the floor, set up teammates, etc. -- a 6-6 or 6-7 guy who can do those things [like Theo Pinson or the guys Villanova seems to have manning the 3 seemingly every year] would offer adequate size on the back line [a la Kris Joseph]. We have lots of athletes, we need more guys who have high levels of basketball skill -- especially on the perimeter positions.
  • Pick a recruiting style and COMMIT to it -- our program's success has long been tied to getting quality system fits who end up being "better" than their rankings most of the team. And true to form, some of our best teams have blended high quality four-year program types with a sprinkling of higher rated players. But it seems as though we've deviated from that strategy a bit since 2012. The type of athletes we recruit are attractive to the NBA, which is why we've had guys jump to the league -- even those that don't seem "ready." Further complicating the situation is that we rarely land blue chippers -- so the guys we bring in that jump early generally aren't dynamic enough to put the team on their backs and take us to the next level. So we get the worst of both worlds -- decent but not transcendent play for the most part, and then many of them bail before actualizing their potential. I believe that we're suffering from our in-between recruiting approach. We're never going to recruit like the UK,'s Duke's, Arizona's, or Kansas's of the world that land classes full of blue chip prospects every year. And our younger guys often appear perpetually disadvantaged playing against teams that recruit four year players and retain those guys for the full duration of their careers [examples of teams successfully deploying that strategy are Virginia, Villanova, and Notre Dame]. This ties to the previous bullet -- we need more four year program guys to balance out the ebbs-and-flows of attrition, to enhance depth, and to step into bigger, more important roles when they become upperclassmen. We've lacked that stability for several seasons [with the exception of the 2016 backcourt], to the detriment of team performance. We need to decide whether we're going all in on blue chippers, or all in on guys who stick around for a few seasons. Because being in the middle and failing to accomplish either of those things isn't getting the job done.
I think you nailed every single point

the zone needs big guards. other teams don't need big guards as much as we do. that's why i talk about tradeoffs, i know big guards that can do it all are rare

I don't agree. We need at least ONE of the guards to be big. I'm convinced that an active 6-1 or 6-2 guy can be a solid zone defender, even in our system. Height alone does not a good zone defender guarantee [see: Frank Howard prior to this year].

Here's my list:
I would just win more national championships.

Here's my list:

I'd settle for these three (I think #2 and #3 are joined at the hip - briefly switching defenses would be used to change tempo, just like it does now during our occasional forays into Trunk Monkey). It'd be nice to play more true guards, too - I think the team misses the versatility possessed by urban combo guards like Michael Lloyd to Scoop and everybody in between. And adapting the offense a little more drastically based on the talents of each team would be nice.

#3's bothered me for years when we've had better teams, doesn't seem like such a big deal right now when we're treading water, but it killed me in situations like the preseason NIT in 2011-2012 when we sat back in rock-fights against VPI and Stanford. If you want to be a championship team, you've got practice the habits of a championship team. That means taking it at inferior lineups and exploiting every advantage. SU hasn't always done that and I'd argue that that (with a pinch of #1 - not playing enough bodies) contributed directly to Vermonts and Butlers.

the other day, providence made a run in the Big East final and their coach was on the floor clapping at the guys as they came to the sidelines during the time out. I know we will never get that at this point but I wish we would.

Here's my list:

I think the issue with some of these is that it is premised upon the idea that a coach gets his first choice in recruiting each time. I am sure that Jim wants to recruit the best basketball players that fit his criteria. Sometimes, you gotta take who will have you.

that is a WOW post - I have said many (but not all) similar things myself, but I have never come close to such a comprehensive post of great points all in one easy to use dossier. I think I know who the next coach in waiting should be.

Lifetime, first row courtside seats at dome - and not the ones behind the baskets either
Lifetime seats behind team bench to all away games (except Cameron Indoor - don't want nobody sweatin' on my knees)
24-7-365 access to Carmelo Anthony center

This is an absolutely horrific topic especially in light of SU getting in another NCAA tourney.

All this is is an opportunity for the critics, whiners and frustrated coaching geniuses to tell us yet another time how the program is mismanaged.

This is just regurgitating of the same old stuff these guys have been complaining about on here for years.

This is an absolutely horrific topic especially in light of SU getting in another NCAA tourney.

All this is is an opportunity for the critics, whiners and frustrated coaching geniuses to tell us yet another time how the program is mismanaged.

This is just regurgitating of the same old stuff these guys have been complaining about on here for years.

Actually, your inevitably / predictably bombastic, offended, flummoxed, histrionic-laced response is what has, is, and always will be horrific.

It's hilarious [and sad] -- every one of your posts makes me think of Ignatius J. Reilly.

upload_2018-3-12_15-46-10.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom