IL's Top 50 Men's Players For 2023 | Syracusefan.com

IL's Top 50 Men's Players For 2023

Well at least they aren't mixing the men and women together this year.

Syracuse should have Hiltz up there. Simmons is a possibility. Will they put Spallina in the top 40?

For the Terps, they should have Makar, Zappitello, McNaney, Weirman, and Long. Geppert was an HM LSM, and probably should be top 50, but after all it is IL.

Well at least they aren't mixing the men and women together this year.

Syracuse should have Hiltz up there. Simmons is a possibility. Will they put Spallina in the top 40?

For the Terps, they should have Makar, Zappitello, McNaney, Weirman, and Long. Geppert was an HM LSM, and probably should be top 50, but after all it is IL.
Hiltz and no mas for us most likely. Doubt they give any freshman a spot. Or maybe they have Spallina at number 1

Richie Lacalandra another LIU stud. If that team stayed together they could have made noise as a mid major this yr. 6 kids transferred to top schools. Shame but happens when coaches leave. Wolf can recruit underrated talent. Cuse grabbed two of them.

Hiltz and no mas for us most likely. Doubt they give any freshman a spot. Or maybe they have Spallina at number 1
I think the fact that Spallina, Simmons, and Geppert weren't in the 41-50 group, makes it unlikely that they will appear. That being said, it is Inside Lacrosse and they can do some odd things, like last year they had Connor DeSimone at #47 in their mixed top 50 (which made him like the 21st male player).

Geppert was an HM LSM, and probably should be top 50, but after all it is IL.
maryland fan wants a maryland player on the list. shocking

if you include HM, there were well over 50 all-americans last season who are returning this year. and that doesn't include guys returning like hiltz, hudgins (if he plays this year), etc.

if you include HM, there were well over 50 all-americans last season who are returning this year. and that doesn't include guys returning like hiltz, hudgins (if he plays this year), etc.
There is some credence in what you say. There were around a 100 players on the USILA AA list.

Of course, IL's AA list had about 89.

Last edited:
I think the fact that Spallina, Simmons, and Geppert weren't in the 41-50 group, makes it unlikely that they will appear. That being said, it is Inside Lacrosse and they can do some odd things, like last year they had Connor DeSimone at #47 in their mixed top 50 (which made him like the 21st male player).

Spallina won’t be on it. He hasn’t played any regular season college lacrosse. Have any freshmen ever made a preseason All American list before? Mike Powell did not in 2001 so I find it hard to believe anyone has. Brennan O’Neil was probably more hyped than Spallina and didn’t make the preseason list either.

Hiltz was 50 last year so about 25 when taking into account just the men. Curious to see where they rank him this year with a year off.

I had forgotten about the DeSimone ranking. That did not age well.

Well, Geppert made it in at #34, making me wrong, but making you look like a bit of an ass for calling me out as a Maryland homer.

Well, Geppert made it in at #34, making me wrong, but making you look like a bit of an ass for calling me out as a Maryland homer.
wait, you're not a maryland homer?

33. Owen Hiltz, A, Syracuse​

Hiltz put up a remarkable freshman campaign in 2021; his injury ahead of 2022 was a huge blow to the Orange’s season before it even started. He’s back, and he showed off his precision passing in ‘Cuse’s fallball scrimmages playing alongside Joey Spallina and Alex Simmons. A 5-8, 180-pound lefty, he brings a dose of magic to the Orange O.

6383680e1ffae.jpg

wait, you're not a maryland homer?
I am a Maryland fan, but your calling me out and acting like I couldn't make constructive argument about a Maryland player was the problem.

Spallina won’t be on it. He hasn’t played any regular season college lacrosse. Have any freshmen ever made a preseason All American list before? Mike Powell did not in 2001 so I find it hard to believe anyone has. Brennan O’Neil was probably more hyped than Spallina and didn’t make the preseason list either.

Hiltz was 50 last year so about 25 when taking into account just the men. Curious to see where they rank him this year with a year off.

I had forgotten about the DeSimone ranking. That did not age well.

I imagine that not putting a freshman on the top 50 list is particularly warrented this season as they will perhaps have like 20 5th-year players because of the covid break.
I think that in a 'normal' year including a really top freshman, like Spallina, in a top 50 list might be reasonable.

Enough of the slideshow!

50. Hugh Kelleher, M, Cornell
49. Leo Johnson, A, Yale
48. Jared Paquette, G, Yale
47. Chris Fake, D, Notre Dame
46. Piper Bond, SSDM, Penn
45. Jackson Bonitz, D, Navy
44. Aiden Blake, M, Cornell
43. Connor Maher, SSDM, UNC
42. James Reilly, FO, Georgetown
41. Alex Slusher, A, Princeton
40. Payton Rezonka, M, Loyola
39. Etan Rall, LSM, Rutgers
38. Levi Anderson, A, St. Joe's
37. Beau Pederson, M, Princeton
36. Brendan Lavelle, D, Penn
35. Brian Minicus, A, Georgetown
34. John Geppert, LSM, Maryland
33. Owen Hiltz, A, Syracuse
32. BJ Farrare, LSM, Penn
31. Jake Stevens, M, Princeton
30. Jack Stuzin, LSM, Yale
29. Brian Tevlin, M, Notre Dame
28. Petey LaSalla, FO, Virginia
27. Greg Campisi, LSM, Harvard
26. Kyle Long, M, Maryland
25. Matt Campbell, M, Villanova
24. Roy Meyer, LSM, Boston U
23. Thomas McConvey, M, Virginia
22. Brett Makar, D, Maryland
21. Owen Grant, D, Delaware

Brett Makar seems down a little low at #22. He was a 1st team All-American. I can't see not having Zappitello on the list.

Not a lot of goalies named so far. I think McNaney and Entenmann need to be on the list.
Weirmann at face-offs.

Shellenberger and Kastner for UVa for sure. Pat Kavanagh from ND. Brennan O'Neill.

There are players like: Sam Handley, Matt Brandau, Graham Bundy, Gavin Adler, Will Bowen from IL's 1st team AA squad.
Jack Myers OSU.
Zach Cole St.Josephs FO

Tucker Dordevic?

Ross Scott or Shane Knobloch? - IL didn't even have them as HM AA's last year

Last edited:
Enough of the slideshow!

50. Hugh Kelleher, M, Cornell
49. Leo Johnson, A, Yale
48. Jared Paquette, G, Yale
47. Chris Fake, D, Notre Dame
46. Piper Bond, SSDM, Penn
45. Jackson Bonitz, D, Navy
44. Aiden Blake, M, Cornell
43. Connor Maher, SSDM, UNC
42. James Reilly, FO, Georgetown
41. Alex Slusher, A, Princeton
40. Payton Rezonka, M, Loyola
39. Etan Rall, LSM, Rutgers
38. Levi Anderson, A, St. Joe's
37. Beau Pederson, M, Princeton
36. Brendan Lavelle, D, Penn
35. Brian Minicus, A, Georgetown
34. John Geppert, LSM, Maryland
33. Owen Hiltz, A, Syracuse
32. BJ Farrare, LSM, Penn
31. Jake Stevens, M, Princeton
30. Jack Stuzin, LSM, Yale
29. Brian Tevlin, M, Notre Dame
28. Petey LaSalla, FO, Virginia
27. Greg Campisi, LSM, Harvard
26. Kyle Long, M, Maryland
25. Matt Campbell, M, Villanova
24. Roy Meyer, LSM, Boston U
23. Thomas McConvey, M, Virginia
22. Brett Makar, D, Maryland
21. Owen Grant, D, Delaware
No major issues with the list really. Hiltz will be considered better by the end of the season but I get it after a year off. Maybe a little too much love for Bryan Tevlin and Paquette at Yale. Just a lot of love in general for a Yale D that gave up a lot of goals. Dont know much about Roy Meyer or Greg Campisi, but that is pretty high praise for those two LSMs.

Ross Scott should definitely make an appearance. Dude is a stud. Maybe no Knobloch but he is top 50 too when healthy. Dordevic will be there as well *holds back tears*

I'll take a shot at guessing the last 20. I'm not really sure how you rank one position over the other. How do you compare a FOGO to an attackman? Pat Skalniak seems like a pretty big omission but IL has already said he is not on the list at all. Some of this is based on where I think IL will rate certain players (IL LOVES Will Bowen, most is just a guess. I too am really surprised they don't have Makar in the top 20.

1. Sam Handley, M, Penn
2. Conor Shellenberger, A, UVA
3. Will Bowen, D, UNC
4. Zach Cole, FO, St. Joe's
5. Matt Brandau, A, Yale
6. Graham Bundy, M, Georgetown
6. Logan McAnaney, G, Maryland
7. CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
8. Gavin Adler, D, Cornell
9. Mike Sisselberger, FO, Lehigh
10. Jack Meyers, A, Ohio State
11. Liam Entenmann, G, Notre Dame
12. Tucker Dordevic, A/M, Georgetown
13. Brennan O'Neil, A, Duke
14. Luke Weirman, FO, Maryland
15. Pat Kavanagh, A, Notre Dame
16. Tyler Carpenter, LSM, Duke
17. Dylan Gerger, A, Penn
18. Ajax Zappitello, D, Maryland
19. Cole Kastner, D, UVA
20. Ross Scott, A, Rutgers

I'll take a shot at guessing the last 20. I'm not really sure how you rank one position over the other. How do you compare a FOGO to an attackman? Pat Skalniak seems like a pretty big omission but IL has already said he is not on the list at all. Some of this is based on where I think IL will rate certain players (IL LOVES Will Bowen, most is just a guess. I too am really surprised they don't have Makar in the top 20.

1. Sam Handley, M, Penn
3. Will Bowen, D, UNC
5. Matt Brandau, A, Yale
7. CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
19. Cole Kastner, D, UVA
Maybe some love for Mazzone at GTown/Hop since they have a boatload from the LSM position. Probably will go a little higher on ONeill. Think Bowen gets a disproportionate amount of love from the media compared to other close D guys so I would not be too surprised to see him that high.

It looks like a pretty good choice of 20, although the ordering might be fairly different.
I think that Wierman actually played tougher competition than Sisselberger or Cole.

Makar is appropriately rated. He got worked by CJ Kirst in the title game which hurt his stock as "the best defenseman in the country." He has struggled somewhat against quicker attackman. Makar might mean more to the Terps in terms of leadership qualities and whatever but I think Zappitello is the better defender, quite frankly. He shuts down whoever he covers but you can score points on Makar

1. Sam Handley, M, Penn
3. Will Bowen, D, UNC
5. Matt Brandau, A, Yale
7. CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
19. Cole Kastner, D, UVA
Good list I think they will rank Brennon O'Neal higher tho. They expect him to be a monster this yr and will rate him top 10. I'm more curious who will come out of no where this yr. Guys who get a chance and go off. I think Ross Scott might be higher to he's got such an all around sick game. I bet that list is real close tho.

Makar is appropriately rated. He got worked by CJ Kirst in the title game which hurt his stock as "the best defenseman in the country." He has struggled somewhat against quicker attackman. Makar might mean more to the Terps in terms of leadership qualities and whatever but I think Zappitello is the better defender, quite frankly. He shuts down whoever he covers but you can score points on Makar
Agree 100%

I don't know that holding CJ Kirst to 2 goals is such a bad thing.

Zappitello is probably a little faster and quicker than Makar, which makes him a good cover man for smaller, quicker attackmen. Makar is bigger and stronger, which makes him better for covering big attackman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom