Im done folks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Im done folks

Disagree...I've been to every football game for last 15 years through thick and thin!

The basketball only fans are acting like spoiled brats. Its all bull$#!? reading through these posts made by basketball only fans. It's easy to support a winning team isn't it?

However, I'll continue to attend every basketball game because I support JB because he's our coach and SU is my team. Nuff said.

I've been to every football game for the past 13 years and I continue to support both programs. I use to drive over Tug Hill to come to games and go back after the game. After I moved to Camillus it's easy getting to games, but I'm about to retire and move more than an hour away and I don't think I want to cough up $3000 for basketball seats. The product is just too bad and the lack of effort I can't stand. I'm tempted to try it one more year and see if I can take driving back and forth to games. I really want to support Hop, but the new preferred seating costs are causing me to pause and the lack of excitement with recruting is a major concern. Football won't be a problem driving back and forth and I feel a sense of excitement in the football program. Hoops is getting pretty stale. If JB can fix this mess he should be the next mayor of Syracuse.

I told myself I was done one time before. It was after the Richmond loss when the first investigation was going on. I was so frustrated and embarrassed to be thought of as cheaters, that I couldn't take it anymore. I lived in Georgia at the time. The first game of the following season was against Cornell. I told myself I wouldn't watch ESPN or Headline New to check the scores on their scrolls at the bottom of the screens. I made it about 30 minutes after the game started before I was checking again. Basically, I suck at being done with the program.

I definitely lean to the optimistic side and I never expected this season to turn out this way and never expected the program to be heading in the direction it seems to be. I get the frustration and it breaks my heart to be at this point.

It's easy for me to say others should trudge through the snow to keep going to the games from here in Kansas and I'm not going to judge anyone. But I can't stop watching. Heck I'm a Buffalo Bills fan and a Braves fan. So I'll still keep watching every game on tv or the internet. I admit I probably took the program's success for granted. For the past several years,
I only donated to the football program because I felt they needed more support. Last year, I split my donation. This year, I'll do the same and increase it. It's certainly not enough that John Wildhack will drop everything and fly out here to thank me in person. But I love it too much that I want to feel like I'm doing my part to be part of the solution.

God bless people who are willing to dedicate a day to going to the some and watching a garbage product for the past decade. I'm sure they can manage watching bad basketball for a winter. But for some people it's an ordeal to dedicate 2 hours to a basketball game every two nights. Too much other stuff in life. And the product is garbage, people won't do it it.

I guess the sacrifice of "fan cred" is acceptable for some. I can't say I don't get it.

I'm still planning on going to the UNC and NCState games here in NC.

As a Bills fan for the past 44 years I've grown accustomed to the suckage we've experienced since '99, so this hopeful "lull" in Orange basketball history won't affect my resolve.

Although I don't see myself spending $$$ to watch Cuse @ Cameron again anytime soon :)

4) Recruit a kid with a bad attitude. This team is just to soft.
Well, we can't even do this right. Cough. Tucker. Cough.

Disagree...I've been to every football game for last 15 years through thick and thin!

The basketball only fans are acting like spoiled brats. Its all bull$#!? reading through these posts made by basketball only fans. It's easy to support a winning team isn't it?

However, I'll continue to attend every basketball game because I support JB because he's our coach and SU is my team. Nuff said.
if people that have been going to a ton of games every year say "i need a break" , i don't blame them.

I feel bad for Hop because he's been waiting a long time to become a head coach and this program is going in the wrong direction.
Well, while he's still in-waiting, it might be a good time for him to invest in hair plugs so they grow in before fall 2018. Last thing we need is the perception that we're replacing one old coach with another sorta-old coach. I bet Hop didn't think he'd look like Beilein by the time he finally took over. It's been a long wait.

1) Need some Tyus Battle reps at point. Gillon isn't coming back and Frank is not the future.
2) Force feed Chukwu minutes when he returns. Kid has to be ready next year. I don't care how terrible he looks, we need him next year.
3) More m2m. Its coming when Hop takes over. Its time to get the word out so we can recruit kids who can / want to play it.

1000000%

Battle, Howard, Lydon, Thompson, Chuwku needs to play the most mins. I don't care about White and Gillon. Sorry. They were hired guns who didn't return results. Need to move on.

Since winning in 2003 and as I've gotten older, just don't care as much...I still love when they win and I get bummed and pissy when they are bad, but honestly, I don't expect to watch much of the late part of this season. I just have better things to do. If that makes me a "bad fan", that's cool. That doesn't bother me.

2) Force feed Chukwu minutes when he returns. Kid has to be ready next year. I don't care how terrible he looks, we need him next year.
I just reread the article on his surgery and he said he was hit in an eye with a pass at the Holy Cross game (i.e., the 2nd exhibition of the season) and had blurry vision after that. Maybe he wasn't as bad as we saw, because the poor guy couldn't see what was happening.

SU basketball games have always been clear the calendar events for me, but I can't see myself doing that this season. I'll still watch, and will be going to a couple more games, but I'm certainly not keeping the time reserved for them if something else comes up that is more enjoyable than watching two hours of listless slop.

That's exactly how I operate. I've canceled many plans or rejected many plans because Cuse is on. It's a time slot that gets reserved as soon as the schedule comes out. No exceptions.

I've already watched 2 games on WatchESPN replay at around 10 PM instead of live. I'll still catch every game but I think I'll find myself watching replay a lot more this year if something comes up.

On Sunday I ended up turning it off and taking the dog for a walk.

See I actually get this. For those of us spoiled by nearly 50 consecutive winning seasons, its painful to watch. Its unchartered territory for about 80% of us. I imagine you'll try to watch every game...and then the defensive lapses start...and then the missed layups...and then the turnovers...and finally the realization that there is no fixing this mess this year. Wash-rinse-repeat...only to be teased by a 40 point beat down of some really bad team to reel us back in. Thankfully, there will be no more of these.

Its hard for the most loyal of us to sit through this. Especially with a coach who is 15 months maximum from retirement.

IMO, a lot of our weaknesses have been exposed by bad guard play on both ends of the floor. Fix that, and I think a lot of our problems go away. Now, that doesn't mean we don't have other issues. Among them:

Thompson does not like contact, and that's bad for a center.
White is a bit of an offense killer.
Tyler Lydon is out of shape.
Tyler Roberson and Frank Howard are playing with Zero confidence.

Its just a terribly perfect storm. So what do we do now? I think we take our lumps trying to increase competitiveness. But I'd like to see the following:

1) Need some Tyus Battle reps at point. Gillon isn't coming back and Frank is not the future.
3) More m2m. Its coming when Hop takes over. Its time to get the word out so we can recruit kids who can / want to play it.
I like number 4, also get a coach who had a bad attitude when he played like DC to coach the big men.

enjoy the winter, stay safe.

Q5gTb2.gif

You must be jumping on the "moving to Canada" bandwagon. Lots of talk. 41 years of winning seasons. Show a little respect for the program.

Well, ya see, the thing about living in Canada is you only get to see SU hoops when they're playing really well. So it's kind of a mixed blessing, you see? :cool:

To me this goes back to the Kevin Jones recruiting. I wanted us to recruit a kid from Mt Vernon so bad just to get into that pipeline. I'm not saying Kevin Jones was someone you were describing, but we very rarely have a kid who sets a hard pick or has constant knee burns from diving on the floor. Unfortunately, that's not Syracuse basketball. Think about most of our inner city kids, they all end up being jump shooters (CMac, JSIII, Donte Greene). Where are the no harm no foul kids?

The worst thing about this is that now that we suck I've been on the OT board way more than I should.
You were already there too much during the election cycle, even before the hoops team went south. I saw you there. :rolleyes:

You were already there too much during the election cycle, even before the hoops team went south. I saw you there. :rolleyes:

But hoops session should be enough of a distraction to keep me on THIS board!

But hoops session should be enough of a distraction to keep me on THIS board!
I know, but these are strange times.

Hopefully he has taken a deserved self imposed banishment. After a couple Hail Boeheims he will be welcomed back to the flock.
So depressingly true haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom