Virginia Tech Postgame Thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech Postgame Thoughts

Well done boys. One game at a time.

Two things I’ve noticed as tweaks in the offense. Tonight is the first time I’ve seen us using Bell some to set high screens for Judah. Maybe the thinking was the defender wouldn’t leave Bell out there alone like they would do with Brown thus giving Judah more room to drive?

And the last two games we’ve used Taylor as a true 4 on offense. He’s the 4 but we would often play 4 out and he’d be more a 2/3 looking for jumpers. Now, like many 4’s, he’s running the baseline which is creating different opportunities.
Good point about Taylor. He has missed enough jumpers to know he should look for other ways to contribute.

A Winner Was Judah. A superstar performance.

Loved that Red showed the trust in Cuffe to defend at the end of the game (and subsequently benched JJ, sorry for JJ, but he simply has to get better on D)
JJ's defense is weird, because he's obviously quick, has nice size and he actually works fairly hard. Just don't think he plays instinctively all that well on either end of the floor. Like he doesn't seem to anticipate and make calculated gambles defensively. Judah gambling 80 feet from the basket much of the year has been detrimental, but his anticipation and understanding of when to reach in makes him a tough defender when he's locked in. JJ doesn't seem to have that.

We will make the tournament
I Hope Please GIF

Well, I don't think I've seen Chris Bell move so much without the ball as he did today. Where has that been for the last 27 games?
You sold me!

JJ's defense is weird, because he's obviously quick, has nice size and he actually works fairly hard. Just don't think he plays instinctively all that well on either end of the floor. Like he doesn't seem to anticipate and make calculated gambles defensively. Judah gambling 80 feet from the basket much of the year has been detrimental, but his anticipation and understanding of when to reach in makes him a tough defender when he's locked in. JJ doesn't seem to have that.
It seems like with the ball in his hands he is engaged in what everyone is doing. Without he is more robotic and just doing what he is supposed to. The play where Q almost hit him in the head and he wasn’t even looking. He was 20 ft from the basket and breaking to the rim but more like you would to give space. I have no idea how you arent aware you could get a pass at any point. Bizarre

In a week from tonight after our Tuesday away game at Louisville (a must win), we’ll be playing Clemson on their senior night in our last game. They will be honoring 7 seniors including PJ Hall, Joe G, Chase Hunter and Jack Clark. Tough task, we better be ready to battle. Clemson will have their last game against Wake away the following Saturday.

I’m convinced the NET is the worst metric ever and we are not going to make drastic improvements there. I am looking more at ACCT seeding to give us the best opportunity to win. With that said I am pulling for FSU here to move us into the 6th seed.

I tend to agree here but may not be smart about it...but seems path to two ACC tourney wins is easiest in the 5 or 6 seed spot

Ahhhh, I’m getting excited for those tourney possibilities again… I leave for South Asia on Friday & will likely miss watching the games that make or break our chances for tourney time, i don’t know how to even process these current developments ;)

Seeing Taylor make multiple hard cuts instead drifting on the perimeter is really a sight to behold, that system change is bearing tangible benefits. Love that for & from him.

Cope may be the only player in America that actually gets me to genuinely laugh out loud in real time watching a game… absolute showman. At one point he was faking behind the back passes on the perimeter, hiding the ball behind the opponent’s back on the baseline, look away dimes galore, dunking it so hard coming down the lane I thought he might hurt himself on the dismount. I have a certain affinity & appreciation for streetball (how I came up playing myself, I also have every single And1 VHS & DVD) he helps scratch that itch for me. The swagger is real!

We saw multiple top of the key lob entry passes to Brown on the pick & role tonight, more so than any game this season. In the past Judah has just held it & kept pounding the rock. It’s an interesting, unconventional entry pass angle for sure, but it set up the rest of our offensive success. From that Judah played a masterful game of when to attack the rim himself & when to distribute. Beautiful basketball.

If that Judah Mintz shows up the next two games, we’re in business. I thought Judah played his most solid game in a long time. That was nice. he completely took over the game down the stretch and there was really nothing. Virginia Tech could do about it. Their guards could not stay in front of him.

Game really came down to the fact that Va Tech doesn’t have a rim protector. I know we like to complain about the layups we give up, but we took it to the hole all night long.

Tech came out with the focus on taking Bell out of the game. They put number two on him early and did a nice job denying him the ball.

But we adjusted by attacking the rim and their other two guards couture, and Padula could not stay in front of Judah or Cope or JJ.

On offense they only attacked the rim with their bigs. I think we’re a bad matchup for Tech and wouldn’t mind seeing them early in the ACC.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Boeheim as mad at a player as I saw tonight with red and Chris Bell. It was really something. And you didn’t have to even read lips to understand the message that Red was trying to deliver. He essentially told Bell that he jogs back down court and doesn’t hustled back on defense. Woof it was unbelievable.

I know, Cope drives everyone crazy, myself included, but he’s getting so comfortable on the court and you can see the game has completely slowed down for him. he completely changes the dynamic of the game when he enters. The offense has more ball rotation player, movement, and I think it’s because players know that if they get open, he will find them. Even when they arent looking for it.

I believe that’s the third or fourth game in a row in which we’ve shot better than 55% from the field field. You can complain all you want about our defense, but I’m not sure that we’ve shot that well from the field as consistently in a very long time, we are getting better shots than we have in recent years.

We are playing our best ball of the season right now, and if we can somehow manage to win out and pick off one maybe two games in the ACC tournament. We might get a look on selection Sunday.

The Louisville game really worries me though. My fear is we come out flat and give Louisville life early in the game. If we come out strong, I think we can put them away because I don’t think they have much fight left.

Clemson would be a tough one to pick off.
Need to figure out a way to put Joe in the spin cycle and get some ok minutes from Carey vs Clemson.

It occurred to me, Bell played tonight at home like he sometimes plays on the road.

If that Judah Mintz shows up the next two games, we’re in business. I thought Judah played his most solid game in a long time. That was nice. he completely took over the game down the stretch and there was really nothing. Virginia Tech could do about it. Their guards could not stay in front of him.

Game really came down to the fact that Va Tech doesn’t have a rim protector. I know we like to complain about the layups we give up, but we took it to the hole all night long.

Tech came out with the focus on taking Bell out of the game. They put number two on him early and did a nice job denying him the ball.

But we adjusted by attacking the rim and their other two guards couture, and Padula could not stay in front of Judah or Cope or JJ.

On offense they only attacked the rim with their bigs. I think we’re a bad matchup for Tech and wouldn’t mind seeing them early in the ACC.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Boeheim as mad at a player as I saw tonight with red and Chris Bell. It was really something. And you didn’t have to even read lips to understand the message that Red was trying to deliver. He essentially told Bell that he jogs back down court and doesn’t hustled back on defense. Woof it was unbelievable.

I know, Cope drives everyone crazy, myself included, but he’s getting so comfortable on the court and you can see the game has completely slowed down for him. he completely changes the dynamic of the game when he enters. The offense has more ball rotation player, movement, and I think it’s because players know that if they get open, he will find them. Even when they arent looking for it.

I believe that’s the third or fourth game in a row in which we’ve shot better than 55% from the field field. You can complain all you want about our defense, but I’m not sure that we’ve shot that well from the field as consistently in a very long time, we are getting better shots than we have in recent years.

We are playing our best ball of the season right now, and if we can somehow manage to win out and pick off one maybe two games in the ACC tournament. We might get a look on selection Sunday.

The Louisville game really worries me though. My fear is we come out flat and give Louisville life early in the game. If we come out strong, I think we can put them away because I don’t think they have much fight left.

Clemson would be a tough one to pick off.
As Jake just mentioned, it was Judah’s night. I think it was the best I've seen him play. Smart, not selfish. For the team win – great.

His line: MIN 40, FG 10-17, 1-3 3PT, FT 8-8, REB 3, AST6, STL3, PTS 29

Despite Copelands reverse, lay- up spins, he had 12 PTS in 23 MIN 5-9 FG 4 – 13 3PT 12 PTS

Bell had a very quiet 7PTS in 29 MIN but was 2-2 FG, 1-8 3PT, 2-2 FT, 1 REB, 1 AST, 2 BLK,

Brown in 29 MIN went 6-7 FG, 0 FT, 8 REB, 2 AST, 2 STL, 12PTS

Starling in 28 MIN had 6-11 FG 0 FT 1-1 3PT

Taylor was in 25 MIN 2-2 FG, 2-2 FT, 6 REB, 6 PTS

Our line for the game 56.7% FG, 30.8% 3PT, 100% FT

Yes. Helps us but may hurt the ACC.
Based on the initial 16 reveal I'm cautiously optimistic that the committee may think a little higher of the ACC than the general media. It's probably more detrimental but part of me thinks that the bottom of the conference not being complete rollovers is more of a benefit. It's not like the Big East where the rest of the conference is getting gifted 4 wins of Georgetown and DePaul.

In a week from tonight after our Tuesday away game at Louisville (a must win), we’ll be playing Clemson on their senior night in our last game. They will be honoring 7 seniors including PJ Hall, Joe G, Chase Hunter and Jack Clark. Tough task, we better be ready to battle. Clemson will have their last game against Wake away the following Saturday.
So weird we’re ending the season on a Tuesday night road game.

It seems like with the ball in his hands he is engaged in what everyone is doing. Without he is more robotic and just doing what he is supposed to. The play where Q almost hit him in the head and he wasn’t even looking. He was 20 ft from the basket and breaking to the rim but more like you would to give space. I have no idea how you arent aware you could get a pass at any point. Bizarre
Yeah, that one jumped out at me too. Just don’t see that with guys at this level much. It’s a little strange from time to time with JJ. He’s had a very nice second half and he had a very nice game tonight, but there are some odd elements to his game too.

Every one of our players did something good tonight. Judah was awesome and in control on offense all night.
Huge win
I get on Judah's case a lot for not distributing and iso play but he played a very balanced game tonight. The fact the middle was open most of the night was a huge plus for Judah, JJ, Cope and Cuffe

With an odd number of teams one team comes up short each weekend. Of course we got ours on the last week of the season! Maybe we are not the "darlings" of the ACC?
Frankly we haven’t been good enough to be “darlings” of the ACC or anyone’s darlings really.

But we’re getting there. Nice win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom