I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Zelda Zonk

Hollywood Liberal Elite Globalist
Great writing on Catastrophe; based on your posting, it seems like the kind of thing you'd enjoy a lot.

I'm with you on animation as well, just can't break that prejudice.
If you liked Catastrophe, you'd probably like Sharon Horgan's show with Ainsling Bea, This Way Up. I had just watched that on Hulu a couple of months ago.

Yeah, i liked The Simpsons when i was in- just out of college, and i like South Park, but haven't watched it since the first few seasons. And i've liked some odd, smaller stuff in small doses over the years (PowerPuff Girls and Making Fiends). But, that's about it. Friends swear by Archer, but i actively dislike it. Never liked Family Guy either. Not sure why.

KellySyracuse

Hall of Fame
Got amazon prime via a free 30-day trial for some reason, when I bought something, so I’m cramming in as much bingewatching as possible this month.

Started with s2 of Jack Ryan. Just okay.
I’m almost finished with Modern Love, which I kinda like, except it makes me sad, for never having been in love myself. And I think the first few episodes have been far better than the latter couple. Sorta like the other anthology thing I recently watched, the romanoffs.
Goliath’s last season, I did not care for.
Tried to watch e01 of The Boys, but I was bored throughout.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Rachel Brosnahan's comedic timing is impeccable and her scenes with Alex Bornstein and Tony Shalhoub are one of the reasons why the show has won so many Emmy's. Watch while you have your free trial.

I also loved Flea Bag, only two seasons and from what I understand there won't be anymore. The first 3 episodes kind of drag but stick with it, only 8 episodes per season so it's a quick binge.

OttoMets

Living Legend
If you liked Catastrophe, you'd probably like Sharon Horgan's show with Ainsling Bea, This Way Up. I had just watched that on Hulu a couple of months ago.

Yeah, i liked The Simpsons when i was in- just out of college, and i like South Park, but haven't watched it since the first few seasons. And i've liked some odd, smaller stuff in small doses over the years (PowerPuff Girls and Making Fiends). But, that's about it. Friends swear by Archer, but i actively dislike it. Never liked Family Guy either. Not sure why.
Early Simpsons remains a classic. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force was pretty funny in college. But substances were prominently involved in the latter.

Cannot stand Family Guy.

OttoinGrotto

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Early Simpsons remains a classic. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force was pretty funny in college. But substances were prominently involved in the latter.

Cannot stand Family Guy.
Aqua Teen is just brilliant.

Zelda Zonk

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Rachel Brosnahan's comedic timing is impeccable and her scenes with Alex Bornstein and Tony Shalhoub are one of the reasons why the show has won so many Emmy's. Watch while you have your free trial.

I also loved Flea Bag, only two seasons and from what I understand there won't be anymore. The first 3 episodes kind of drag but stick with it, only 8 episodes per season so it's a quick binge.
I saw season one of Maisel, and it was okay. But, i read (here?) that season 2 was "disappointing," so i didn't go back to it. But, i'll try it anyway.

I do kinda want to try again with Fleabag. It annoyed me in episode 1, but i did get the sense that it was just something i needed to 'get used to.'

Zelda Zonk

Animation: I kinda liked Ren & Stimpy, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Beavis and Butthead back in the day. The low brow stuff...

Guinness

Living Legend
Not sure if in the 32 pages of this thread if the Expanse has been mentioned. I just started last week and am through season 2. It is fantastic.

Zelda Zonk

Not sure if in the 32 pages of this thread if the Expanse has been mentioned. I just started last week and am through season 2. It is fantastic.
Okay, tell me about this. I decided to try it last weekend, as i love sci-fi, but the intro or trailer showed a 'contemporary era' dude, wearing a fedora, possibly in a hallucination or something(?), and i was immediately like, Nope—can't do it and switched off.

I have some pretty stringent criteria for Sci-fi. I hate too many bright, happy colors, and when something tech-y is going on and there's an 'energy/plasma' thing happening, i hate that it's always green. Weird, idiosyncratic stuff like that. Sci-fi, for me, should look like Star Wars/Blade Runner. Not Total Recall and Fifth Element, although i can deal with it in some instances...

Zelda Zonk

Great writing on Catastrophe; based on your posting, it seems like the kind of thing you'd enjoy a lot.

I'm with you on animation as well, just can't break that prejudice.
I think i just started season 3 of catastrophe. Still really liking it. It's a bit too conflict-y, and contrivedly potty-mouthed for me at times, and i've always hated when there are marital problems on shows, but they get in and out of arguments and back to funny stuff so quickly, it's still good. So much quick, funny dialog in every episode. The dude reminds me more and more of Will Ferrell. Like it's his brother or somesuch.

And Ashley Jensen is awesome. I've loved her since Extras with Ricky Gervais, and had a hang with her once, as we had mutual friends—she's a super lady. Weird, that this is the only 'unlikable' role i've seen her in, and she kills it.

OttoMets

Living Legend

And Ashley Jensen is awesome. I've loved her since Extras with Ricky Gervais, and had a hang with her once, as we had mutual friends—she's a super lady. Weird, that this is the only 'unlikable' role i've seen her in, and she kills it.
That's cool, I've enjoyed her in both of those shows, my wife loves her. She was hilarious in Extras, she a very skilled comedic actor.

Guinness

Living Legend
Okay, tell me about this. I decided to try it last weekend, as i love sci-fi, but the intro or trailer showed a 'contemporary era' dude, wearing a fedora, possibly in a hallucination or something(?), and i was immediately like, Nope—can't do it and switched off.

I have some pretty stringent criteria for Sci-fi. I hate too many bright, happy colors, and when something tech-y is going on and there's an 'energy/plasma' thing happening, i hate that it's always green. Weird, idiosyncratic stuff like that. Sci-fi, for me, should look like Star Wars/Blade Runner. Not Total Recall and Fifth Element, although i can deal with it in some instances...
The guy with the hat is played by Thomas Jane and is a pretty interesting character. He is basically a space cop. If you can look past the hat it is worth your time imo.

Zelda Zonk

The guy with the hat is played by Thomas Jane and is a pretty interesting character. He is basically a space cop. If you can look past the hat it is worth your time imo.
A space cop. Oh, no.

Crusty

Living Legend
Desperate for something to watch. Took a chance on Brigham City on Prime. Pretty good flick.

OttoinGrotto

Desperate for something to watch. Took a chance on Brigham City on Prime. Pretty good flick.
The one with Wilford Brimley?

Man, you really dug into the archives to find that if so. I've actually met briefly the director/lead and the young guy actor from that movie if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Crusty

Living Legend
The one with Wilford Brimley?

Man, you really dug into the archives to find that if so. I've actually met briefly the director/lead and the young guy actor from that movie if it's the one I'm thinking of.
Yup. That's the one.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
On netflix...mind hunter pretty good. it moves slow. if you are into explosions and crap like that to keep your attention, move along..but if you don't mind a story taking time to cultivate, this is for you.

watched Two popes on Netflix..and really liked it.. im neither Christian or catholic, but have always been fascinated by the Vatican and its mysteries...

im in season one of Jack Ryan and its ok...

Crusty

Living Legend
On netflix...mind hunter pretty good. it moves slow. if you are into explosions and crap like that to keep your attention, move along..but if you don't mind a story taking time to cultivate, this is for you.

watched Two popes on Netflix..and really liked it.. im neither Christian or catholic, but have always been fascinated by the Vatican and its mysteries...

im in season one of Jack Ryan and its ok...
I liked Mindhunter. Have to get in the mood for Two Popes.
Jack Ryan was enjoyable even as they strain for fresh material.

Have high hopes for the new Jack Reacher series whenever it comes out.

I also eagerly anticipate the 3rd season of Fargo and Ozarks.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I liked Mindhunter. Have to get in the mood for Two Popes.
Jack Ryan was enjoyable even as they strain for fresh material.

Have high hopes for the new Jack Reacher series whenever it comes out.

I also eagerly anticipate the 3rd season of Fargo and Ozarks.
geez..there is going to be a season three of fargo? the first two were sweet. ozarks is dark yet delectable. i guess better call saul was put on hold for making of el camino?

Zelda Zonk

geez..there is going to be a season three of fargo? the first two were sweet. ozarks is dark yet delectable. i guess better call saul was put on hold for making of el camino?
Fargo is going to season 4. I liked 2 a lot. 3 was better the second time I watched it.

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
I loved family guy for a few years when I was in high school (2008 timeframe). Funny stuff.

And I’ll tell you something else... the first few years of Spongebob is great stuff. Obviously it dragged on a lot and to be honest I never saw many of the newer stuff but the original few seasons (if you can even call it that) is really good material. And it’s not just for kids at all. There is good humor in them.

Zelda Zonk

Anyone see the film LIFE ITSELF (now on Amazon prime)?

Interesting multi-generational thing. The part of that component that sometimes seemed like a story flaw also was what eventually made the film kinda brilliant.

OttoMets

Living Legend
The Last O.G. is not just a good TBS show, it's a good show, period.

Really strong writing and several of the actors are pitch-perfect in their roles.

OttoinGrotto

The Last O.G. is not just a good TBS show, it's a good show, period.

Really strong writing and several of the actors are pitch-perfect in their roles.
I've watched a few episodes on Netflix. I like it a lot, but for a TBS show I'm surprised by all the profanity.

OttoMets

Living Legend
I've watched a few episodes on Netflix. I like it a lot, but for a TBS show I'm surprised by all the profanity.
Ya, I don't know how that works on the actual TV channel; I've only seen it on Netflix as well.

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Barry or Euphoria worthwhile? Usually trust anything that HBO does but never started either of these or The Deuce.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom