I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

We finished Bridgerton. It was meh. The storytelling was Dawson’s Creek-level in terms of complexity.

I thought that was the point.. Its not aimed at the audience looking for high level story telling, that requires real writing talent. This is for the Hallmark movie crowd

Been streaming Your Honor with Bryan Cranston, who plays a judge. Set in New Orleans, the show is not like Breaking Bad; I bring that up because Cranston's character does do some of the same desperate things Walt did. Doing a temporary Showtime thing; stuck in that dark, dark time where all my shows are caught up for now.

Lovecraft Country
The Boys
Queens Gambit
Raised by wolves
Yellowstone
The Expanse
So people keep telling me I would be really into The Expanse, so I started it. I'm on the third episode. So far it's kind of meh to me. I'm assuming since it has so many seasons it gets better, yeah?

So people keep telling me I would be really into The Expanse, so I started it. I'm on the third episode. So far it's kind of meh to me. I'm assuming since it has so many seasons it gets better, yeah?

It is a slow start for sure. If you like scifi I would stick with it.

It takes time but once it gets going it's really good. We just got caught up on the most recent season which is one of the best and much better than the previous.

I just binged all of it. Good characters, themes and story, but it moves too slowly at times.

'Trial 4'. It's an episodic documentary on Netflix about the murder of a Boston policeman and the (my words) railroading of a suspect.

Very well done.

We watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, and really liked it. Yes, the story arc is very much like one of those sports movies that leads to the inevitable conclusion, and there were some soapy elements.

But Anya Taylor-Joy's performance as chess prodigy Beth Harmon is absolutely mesmerizing, award-worthy to say the least. And the chess sequences are every bit as riveting as any you've ever seen in any sports movie.

Well worth your time.

We watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, and really liked it. Yes, the story arc is very much like one of those sports movies that leads to the inevitable conclusion, and there were some soapy elements.

But Anya Taylor-Joy's performance as chess prodigy Beth Harmon is absolutely mesmerizing, award-worthy to say the least. And the chess sequences are every bit as riveting as any you've ever seen in any sports movie.

Well worth your time.
Agree completely and it was shot beautifully too. The night swimming in the rain in Mexico City is about as beautiful a shot as I've ever seen.

Well worth your time.

I loved the Queen's Gambit. Watched it right after The Flight Attendant.

I need to take a break from lead female characters who drink 10 times their weight in alcohol each episode.

It's been out for a while but we got around to Escape at Dannemora, Wow, that was good. Surprised they were able to get so much out of that news story. I just didn't understand the goofy quasi-Minnesota accents Tilly and her husband had.

We also tried the Scorsese/Lebowitz documentary (as per recommendations here), but we had to shut it off after 35 minutes or so. It just dragged and went nowhere. Maybe if it had some context in it or something for those not familiar with her.

My wife and I watched The Wilds on Amazon Prime. An airplane full of highschool girls crash lands on an island and they fight for their survival. Had more swearing than I felt it needed, but the backstories on each character were really interesting. Definite Losty vibe.

We watched 'Mindhunter', a 19-episode Netflix series about the origins of the FBI profiling unit.

I'd give it a mild thumbs-up. However, the first season features a tour de force performance by Cameron Britton as serial killer Ed Kemper. Well worth checking out. Don't think I've seen him in anything else, but I want to.

The series was scheduled to run for three seasons, but only made it through two--making for an unsatisfying ending and plenty of loose plot threads.

Been watching Selena + Chef on HBO Max. Selena Gomez cooks with a famous chef every episode. They are ”quarantined,” so it’s all filmed from their homes. Selena is terrible and nearly cuts a finger off every episode. It’s a unique format and I think something couples can both enjoy (at least a little).

l get the sense that HBO panicked about all their new competitors and they’ve been cranking out some quality shows lately. I expect HBO Max to become pretty popular.

Also just started Servant on Apple TV. M Night Shyamalan show about ... weirdness. But good cast and design, His movies are usually a letdown, but he never disappoints with uniqueness. I just find good replay value with his stuff, but we’ll see.

Don’t know if mentioned already, but Long Way Up/Around/Down franchise is great. Also Apple TV.

The #1 show I’m looking forward to is LOTR on Prime. Sounds like it’ll be this year. I haven’t read up on it much, but my gut tells me it will be GoT huge and put Prime Video on the map and really push Prime subscriptions.

Been watching Selena + Chef on HBO Max. Selena Gomez cooks with a famous chef every episode. They are ”quarantined,” so it’s all filmed from their homes. Selena is terrible and nearly cuts a finger off every episode. It’s a unique format and I think something couples can both enjoy (at least a little).

l get the sense that HBO panicked about all their new competitors and they’ve been cranking out some quality shows lately. I expect HBO Max to become pretty popular.

Also just started Servant on Apple TV. M Night Shyamalan show about ... weirdness. But good cast and design, His movies are usually a letdown, but he never disappoints with uniqueness. I just find good replay value with his stuff, but we’ll see.

Don’t know if mentioned already, but Long Way Up/Around/Down franchise is great. Also Apple TV.

The #1 show I’m looking forward to is LOTR on Prime. Sounds like it’ll be this year. I haven’t read up on it much, but my gut tells me it will be GoT huge and put Prime Video on the map and really push Prime subscriptions.
Long Way Up was nice. I didn’t see Around or Down, though.
Hbo max is wonderful. So much good stuff. Wonder Woman 1984, though—my god, it’s horrible.
I had AppleTV for two separate months, but there isn’t enough there to keep me subscribed continually. Same with Disney+, unfortunately.

'Lupin' is fantastic. You will end up binge-watching the first five episodes and--waiting impatiently for the next few months for the next five episodes. The way the series ties in with the original Lupin stories is brilliant. If you like caper movies/shows, you will flat-out love it. Netflix.

Just watched Yellowstone...wow, really well done

Kinda like an R rated Western Cowboy soap opera and action series