I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Yeah, every time my wife complains that a movie isn't realistic, I remind her that she liked the original Jurassic Park.
Ha! There's something to that, though. It's how we react to the way 'un-realism' is executed. I love sci-fi, but it has to look a certain way. For me, i don't respond well to the polished, super-clean, soap opera in space aesthetic of something like The Expanse. Where all the characters look like former models/soap stars. Bright colors, everything is 'new.' I like the Star Wars, Blade Runner thing. Things have been used. Industrial.

I hate when something 'mystical' or tech-y happens and they use that green neon plasma effect.

I hate in comic action movies when the physics look wrong. Like, Spiderman jumps and swings around and the speed just isn't right.

But, story-wise, theme-wise, it can be completely outlandish and fantastic. It's just about how the weirdness is executed. I love Game of Thrones with every fibre of my being, but i initially hated the dragons. I thought everything else looked incredibly real, but the dragons looked like obvious CGI. I don't know if i got used to that, or if they began to render them better, but at first—ick. It bothered me.

Oh, yeah, here's one that goes the other way... I told someone about Eastbound & Down when it first started, and i was already completely in love with that show. My friend watched it and said he couldn't get into it because the scenes featuring Danny McBride pitching/playing baseball were so bad. That he was so totally unathletic that it was too unrealistic. And, for me, that was a part of the appeal. He was so bad it was good. Execution and interpretation. It's interesting how different people respond to the same stuff.

Last edited:
Where are you getting season 1?

I watched 2 + 3
It's on Peacock. Didn't even know I had that crap for free through Xfinity/Comcast until I went searching for Yellowstone.

Ya seasons one is great. Im halfway through season two nothing special.
Think I got to about episode 2 or 3 of season 2 and it was terrible and I was then embarrassed to be in my 30s watching that crap. Season 1 though, thumbs up.

It was just unrealistic that a guy would complete his first test tour with his grandchildren in the car.

Or that the main hunter would have a 7 step process to get his gun ready to fire.

But the dinosaurs were real.
Ooh. That's another thing that irks me about some people and how they critique tv/films. I recommended a really good series to a friend once. Can't remember the name [Edit: Mad Dogs], but it was a remake of a foreign series, about a group of good friends who vacationed in together, and got into a lot of trouble. Anyway, there was scene with a minefield. My friend got disgusted with the show because some aspect of the minefield scene was inaccurate. Because he has had interest in/some training in de-mining in the far east. I mean, this is an area of expertise that only .000000001% of the population would have. And the specific details weren't even that far off.

But, he's the kind of guy who will watch an action flick and will have a problem with the way someone loaded a gun, or that the amount of recoil of a rifle wasn't accurately represented. That kind of thing. Doesn't matter that the gun was being used to shoot an alien or whatever. Uggggh. Some people.

Last edited:
Ooh. That's another thing that irks me about some people and how they critique tv/films. I recommended a really good series to a friend once. Can't remember the name, but it was a remake of a foreign series, about a group of good friends who vacationed in together, and got into a lot of trouble. Anyway, there was scene with a minefield. My friend got disgusted with the show because some aspect of the minefield scene was inaccurate. Because he has had interest in/some training in de-mining in the far east. I mean, this is an area of expertise that only .000000001% of the population would have. And the specific details weren't even that far off.

But, he's the kind of guy who will watch an action flick and will have a problem with the way someone loaded a gun, or that the amount of recoil of a rifle wasn't accurately represented. That kind of thing. Doesn't matter that the gun was being used to shoot an alien or whatever. Uggggh. Some people.

Ha, ok on the gun. But man, how much do you have to hate your grandchildren that you put their lives in Newman's hands?

Ha! There's something to that, though. It's how we react to the way 'un-realism' is executed. I love sci-fi, but it has to look a certain way. For me, i don't respond well to the polished, super-clean, soap opera in space aesthetic of something like The Expanse. Where all the characters look like former models/soap stars. Bright colors, everything is 'new.' I like the Star Wars, Blade Runner thing. Things have been used. Industrial.

I hate when something 'mystical' happens and they use that green neon plasma effect.

I hate in comic action movies when the physics look wrong. Like, Spiderman jumps and swings around and the speed just isn't right.

But, story-wise, theme-wise, it can be completely outlandish and fantastic. It's just about how the weirdness is executed. I love Game of Thrones with every fibre of my being, but i initially hated the dragons. I thought everything else looked incredibly real, but the dragons looked like obvious CGI. I don't know if i got used to that, or if they began to render them better, but at first—ick. It bothered me.

Oh, yeah, here's one that goes the other way... I told someone about Eastbound & Down when it first started, and i was already completely in love with that show. My friend watched it and said he couldn't get into it because the scenes featuring Danny McBride pitching/playing baseball were so bad. That he was so totally unathletic that it was too unrealistic. And, for me, that was a part of the appeal. He was so bad it was good. Execution and interpretation. It's interesting how different people respond to the same stuff.
This...funny Big Sky seemed stupid unrealistic to me but Yellowstone was entertaining unrealistic to me. Basically the sh;t that went down in the first 3 seasons (Yellowstone) would have the place crawling with FBI, ATF and SEC govt officials

Ha, ok on the gun. But man, how much do you have to hate your grandchildren that you put their lives in Newman's hands?
Who is Newman? What show?

Seinfeld. He will always be Newman, no matter what role he plays.
Oh, was he in Jurassic Park? I think I only saw the first one, once. Barely remember it.

Oh, was he in Jurassic Park? I think I only saw the first one, once. Barely remember it.
1614710612809.png

I loved the Queen's Gambit. Watched it right after The Flight Attendant.

I need to take a break from lead female characters who drink 10 times their weight in alcohol each episode.
I'm on the 4th episode of The Flight Attendant, I'm totally hooked on it. Pretty damn good so far

I'm on the 4th episode of The Flight Attendant, I'm totally hooked on it. Pretty damn good so far

I enjoyed it. And because of it, I never seem to want to drink vodka anymore. So it's a twofer.

I enjoyed it. And because of it, I never seem to want to drink vodka anymore. So it's a twofer.
I'm with you there. She's a professional, makes me look like a piker in comparison and I do like a vodka or two

Finally becoming the last person on earth to get Netflix this Christmas has me digging through this thread & I must 2nd this post.
Snowfall is very good. This is an odd statement, but I could listen to Franklin talk all day, just his flow & slang. I’ve enjoyed watching his confidence grow as he’s risen in power. Uncle Jerome can be hilarious at times. Can’t wait for Season 3.
Been getting into Snowfall lately. I like it a lot.

One thing that bothers me is when they don’t fully stick to the time period from a clothing/aesthetic standpoint.

Guy wearing a baggy Lakers hoodie and baggy jeans? In 1983? Cmon, that’s literally a decade off! But that is a minor complaint.

Last edited:
Been binge-watching Bojack Horseman. Gets better as it goes along. It's profane, insanely funny, and oddly moving. You wouldn't believe the guest voices they get. Aaron Paul, who played Jesse on Breaking Bad, plays a major character and is an Executive Producer. Will Arnett voices Bojack, and he's great!

Been binge-watching Bojack Horseman. Gets better as it goes along. It's profane, insanely funny, and oddly moving. You wouldn't believe the guest voices they get. Aaron Paul, who played Jesse on Breaking Bad, plays a major character and is an Executive Producer. Will Arnett voices Bojack, and he's great!
Bojack is extremely depressing.

I enjoyed it immensely.

Been getting into Snowfall lately. I like it a lot.

One thing that bothers me is when they don’t fully stick to the time period from a clothing/aesthetic standpoint.

Guy wearing a baggy Lakers hoodie and baggy jeans? In 1983?
Cmon, that’s literally a decade off! But that is a minor complaint.
Ok, I guess this was just an early episode slip up, because they’ve otherwise nailed the time period. I’m midway through season 3, and this has gotten really good.

Mare of Easttown (HBOmax) is pretty good, after just the first episode.

I think I previously said For All Mankind was “just okay,” but it’s better than that.

It should have won Emmys.