I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I'm getting a big kick out of "The Righteous Gemstones". You'll be able to tell pretty much right away if it's for you. If you're a True Believer, it almost certainly isn't.

It's about a TV evangelical dynasty that has long since descended into a sinful swamp. Starring, produced, and often written by Danny McBride. It's tasteless and off-the-wall funny. John Goodman is pretty much the (all things are relative) straight man. I think my fave character is Kelvin Gemstone, played by Adam Devine. I can't resist the Dubya mannerisms and his Bob's Big Boy haircut.

Did I mention guest stars? How about, wait for it, Walton Goggins as Baby Billy Freeman, the brother of the (deceased) matriarch of the Gemstone family. You'll even see (didn't know he was still alive) Eric Roberts in a role as an ex-rasslin' buddy of John Goodman's Dr. Eli Gemstone.

BTW, the transition from rasslin' to 'righteousness' isn't as unusual as you might think. Both depend (or, in the case of 'rasslin, used to depend on) not breaking kayfabe:

Last edited:
Hollywood heavily traffics in such subjects because that’s what the consumers demand. They’re only selling cause we’re buying. They’re the mirror not the source
I was just trying to grasp the logic of the criticisms. Can they be both too raunchy and not raunchy enough/too woke at the same time? Seems as if an angle must be chosen.

My biggest problem with Hollywood is all the friggin remakes. Not even sequels….just somebody else redoing the same movie/show that was already made. I’m not a “cover bands” guy.

Better Call Saul is right around the corner! If you haven’t watched it and need a new show, you gotta make the plunge and then stick with it. It’s so good, and getting better and better.

Better Call Saul is right around the corner! If you haven’t watched it and need a new show, you gotta make the plunge and then stick with it. It’s so good, and getting better and better.
One of those shoes where you root for the bad guys

One of those shoes where you root for the bad guys
They’ve done a stellar job of showing how Mike and Saul became the guys that they were in Breaking Bad, and making you care about them.

I’m fascinated by the Gus Fring stuff too. What a character.

They’ve done a stellar job of showing how Mike and Saul became the guys that they were in Breaking Bad, and making you care about them.

I’m fascinated by the Gus Fring stuff too. What a character.

It’s been so long since the last season aired that I was able to watch the entire Breaking Bad series, which I had never seen before. Will be interesting to see if that changes how I view the final season of Saul.

I'm getting a big kick out of "The Righteous Gemstones". You'll be able to tell pretty much right away if it's for you. If you're a True Believer, it almost certainly isn't.

It's about a TV evangelical dynasty that has long since descended into a sinful swamp. Starring, produced, and often written by Danny McBride. It's tasteless and off-the-wall funny. John Goodman is pretty much the (all things are relative) straight man. I think my fave character is Kelvin Gemstone, played by Adam Devine. I can't resist the Dubya mannerisms and his Bob's Big Boy haircut.

Did I mention guest stars? How about, wait for it, Walton Goggins as Baby Billy Freeman, the brother of the (deceased) matriarch of the Gemstone family. You'll even see (didn't know he was still alive) Eric Roberts in a role as an ex-rasslin' buddy of John Goodman's Dr. Eli Gemstone.

BTW, the transition from rasslin' to 'righteousness' isn't as unusual as you might think. Both depend (or, in the case of 'rasslin, used to depend on) not breaking kayfabe:

It's basically for anyone that loved Eastbound & Down or Vice Principles. I am a major fan of McBride's humor so I've been watching since episode 1 and love it.

Recently started watching Afterlife on Netflix by Ricky Gervais. It's pretty deep given it's about the main character's life after his wife dies of cancer. But it's also Gervais with a ton of great 1 liners to mix a lot of laughs with the occasional tears.

Rewatch this one. It should not be made today. Even the least woke among us should agree.

There is some merit to what you say. I would eliminate Revenge of the Nerds from your examples.
Oh yeah, Blazing Saddles, the movie came on TV when my kids were young. The Campfire scene was coming up and I went and got the kids to watch. The gaseous sounds were edited out. I couldn’t believe it. One of the funniest scenes was edited out. Worse than not seeing the movie

Started Severance on Apple TV tonight. Great premise and into it after 2 eps.

It's a great show. I love the combination of being dark yet hilarious.

Judy Gemstone is my favorite. Some of the off the wall stuff she says, it must be about a thousand takes for them to get through her scenes without laughing. Outback Steakhouse and then the basement couch in season 1. That bathroom scene with BJ's sister this season.

It's a great show. I love the combination of being dark yet hilarious.

Judy Gemstone is my favorite. Some of the off the wall stuff she says, it must be about a thousand takes for them to get through her scenes without laughing. Outback Steakhouse and then the basement couch in season 1. That bathroom scene with BJ's sister this season.
She was excellent in her little spots in Vice Principals too.

We’re cruising through Inventing Anna on Netflix now. I didn’t have high expectations going in, but it’s pretty wild

We’re cruising through Inventing Anna on Netflix now. I didn’t have high expectations going in, but it’s pretty wild
I saw the preview, the lead woman's accent seemed to be so bad that I thought there was no way I could watch it

I saw the preview, the lead woman's accent seemed to be so bad that I thought there was no way I could watch it
so is it the one who is pretending to be german but actually russian who has a bad accent?

I paused it 30seconds into the first episode. I told ladycusetroop I didn’t think I could handle the accent/voice. I should get a medal for this one.