I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Oh, one more:
Monsieur Spade on Amazon Prime. Clive Owen as Sam Spade, now living in France in the 50s. Anyone? Anyone?

It was on AMC. I liked the first few episodes but then it kind of went in a weird direction.

Not sure why, but I’m trying to watch Bridgerton. It does have some bits of interest but overall it certainly seems like it was designed toward a ‘female sensibility.’ Still, I like the language and at least one or two of the secondary characters.

So I just finished season 2 of Reacher, and... what the Hell was that?

Did not anticipate a character arc where he's basically a serial killer. My goodness the body count was absurd this season.

I binged Bridgerton over the past couple of weeks.

I have mixed feelings about it.

I think I probably only tried it and stuck with it after episode one because I semi-recently have been watching Derry Girls (so much fun) and wanted to see the transformation of Nicola Coughlan.

So, whatever—Bridgerton. It’s pretty. It’s also rather shallow. And even though it tries to represent historical themes, I feel it does a disservice to womanhood (whatever that word means). It’s a story about male/female roles in a fantasy era. Which could have a positive, educational impact on the audience, but… I think it reinforces and validates concepts that we would like to see as antiquated and extinct.

Essentially, the women are the focus, and the men are accompaniments but I can’t help but see so much of the storylines as disparaging to women. They marry for money and station. They care about little else than that, judging and being judged, following protocol, being at one end or the other of snobbery…. There are essentially only three businesses in the “ton” — a bar, a print shop, and a fashion house. And guess which one is featured most prominently. The women here are all about gossip and shopping.

The good:
The language. I love it. The elegance and formality of it. Except for one quite annoying… sorry, two quite annoying dialogue tendencies. One of which I constantly reflected upon as being perfect for a drinking game, but I fear people would die of alcohol poisoning in droves.

Secondly, the female actors. For the most part. They’re quite good and I quickly took a strong liking to both characters and those actresses. Really like Eloise, and I imagine she’s just about everyone’s easy favorite. Penelope, of course. And then the youngest daughter Hyacinth was absolutely darling. She looks like a young Jackie Kennedy. The one that really developed over the course of three seasons, though, was Philippa. She’s a complete moron, in the most charming way. Just fun.

So, yeah…. It’s watchable. It’s even bingeable. But it’s like a big bag of gummi bears.

But, watch a few episodes of Derry Girls (also on Netflix) first.

My drinking game: I don’t really drink, so this was just ‘symbolic’ for me—a ‘fun’ exercise, but if you had to drink every time someone said “perhaps,” you’d die. What made that even more amusing for me was the way the British pronounce it. It’s more like a contraction—“paps!” So, yeah, that was me, 300 times in the past two weeks, echoing “P’aps!” every thirty seconds with the raising of a pretend shot glass.

Had somehow skipped the Night Manager a few years ago and just finished it. Excellent.

Working on Shoresy right now. Definitely not for everyone but certainly for anyone that loved Letterkenny.

Had somehow skipped the Night Manager a few years ago and just finished it. Excellent.

Working on Shoresy right now. Definitely not for everyone but certainly for anyone that loved Letterkenny.
Night Manager was nice. I think I just saw that they’re now making a second season.

Night Manager was nice. I think I just saw that they’re now making a second season.
They are. That's what put the 1st season back onto my list. Pretty star-studded cast if you go back to it now.

So being a Giamatti fan, I decided to finally go back and watch John Adams. Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread, if so i apologize.
First of all, very good. I immediately noticed the PLAYTONE name at the beginning. While it is certainly not a Band of Brothers, or Pacific, it has some similarities in the way if was presented.
Worth a watch for sure.

Watching the German mini series Dear Child on Netflix. 3 episodes down and three to go and there have been some very interesting twists so far. Enough that we have no idea how this will turn out.

Just watched a delightful little movie new to Netflix — WICKED LITTLE LETTERS.

Stars two of my favorite actors, Jessie Buckley and Olivia Colman. 1920s England. Profanity has never been so much fun.

Just watched a delightful little movie new to Netflix — WICKED LITTLE LETTERS.

Stars two of my favorite actors, Jessie Buckley and Olivia Colman. 1920s England. Profanity has never been so much fun.
Watched it on Sunday. Definitely a fun watch.

Your Honor is excellent!
my wife watched season 1 just this week and seems to concur. there is a new dark comedy series on NETFLIX called DECAMERON about life during the plague. sunday NYT gave it mixed reviews. but they did give a thumbs up to DARK HORSES (appletv) and @CHEF REACTIONS (online)

Last edited: