I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Resident Alien — back for season 3. The same gooooooofy fun. I can imagine many people won't connect with this brand of humor, but it hits me. Some of it is low-brow, some is subtle, some is just quirky.

The New Look — i'm only at episode 6 or 7. Really good. As i said earlier, episode 5 made me weep. The things humans have done to each other...

Manhunt — Quite interesting. I really did not know any of this story. Or, maybe i forgot? No, i think i knew Booth shot Lincoln, but i had no knowledge of what ensued. I prolly just assumed they nabbed him immediately...

The Regime — I really liked Winslett in Mare of Easttown. Don't really like The Regime. I wonder if this is her, as producer, trying to do the Veep thing. It's like Veep crossed with House of Cards (in a way), but it has none of the humor or charm of drama of those two shows. It's almost like an ego play, and Kate gets sewn up in her outfits like Robin Wright, but... not with the same effect. Is it supposed to be fun/funny? Definitely is not.

Masters of the Air — i dunno. It's really well made. But, the missions in each episode are pretty much the same. I'm just getting to the 'aftermath' of some of that, so maybe the dynamic will be different. Very well produced. Someone above asked if the CGI is cheesy, and i have to say it is absolutely not. I'm pretty critical of that sort of thing, and i'm watching on a 75" screen. It's good, 'organic,' the physics are great...

Homicide: New York (Netflix) — True crime series, detailing six(?) different murders in Manhattan. It has a bit of a too-produced Law & Order vibe sometimes, but it's still compelling if you're into such things.

Palm Royale — Kristen Wiig's new show on Apple. After only one episode, i'm going to continue with it, but i'm not finding it of as much interest as i expected.

3 Body Problem — I've only seen the first episode. Not sure yet. I don't have immediate love for it, but i expect the bigger stuff is to come.

Drive to Survive —i'm only 2 episodes in. I LOVE F1, but i can't imagine this is going to be a fun/interesting season of this show, with Red Bull winning all the races last year. Wonder if they cut it to show some of the Christian Horner mess.

The Gentlemen — Some good moments. But, i don't love this, either. Maybe it's the cast. The main guy is just so dull. I love some Guy Richie stuff (Snatch, Rocknrolla), but not all of his stuff. I didn't care for the movie this is based on. It's a decent watch, though.

The Tourist — Definitely enjoyed season one more than season two, so far.

Feud: Capote vs The Swans — Loved this. I think with this and The New Look i'm just wallowing in the eras where there was so much more elegance and character in the daily aesthetic.

House of the Dragon — Rewatching. Fantastic stuff. 'Smaller' than GoT, but the drama is more compressed. Can't wait for season 2.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith — I really had high hopes for this. I liked her from Pen15. But, i absolutely hate when 'married' couples squabble. Hate it. Especially when it becomes the overarching theme. Sometimes it is done well, or maybe there's humor or moderation. But, here, It just gets ugly, not at all fun. I think i got 6 or 7 episodes in, but i may not even finish it.

Movies

Damsel (Netflix) — I like Millie. Didn't care for this. Too much cheese.

Priscilla — I like Sofia Coppola. Lost in Translation is a film i rewatch a few times every year. Love that movie. I liked Somewhere. But, Coppola just seems to choose projects that focus on the small stuff or nothingness, and too often, that's not enough for me. With Lost, i like Bill Murray and crushed on Scarlett and the two of them plus the atmosphere in Tokyo made a perfect brew for my sensibilities. Somewhere started with a Ferrari to hook me, and Elle Fanning was so sweet she made up for Stephen Dorff's ickiness. And i liked the atmosphere of LA (and Milan). Anyway... Priscilla is just a bit dull for me. I just don't care that much. Wasn't ever an Elvis fan, but i thought the Austin Butler film was interesting. But, a film about the wife of the star, where she stays home, goes to school, etc... Sofia focusing on the banal again.

Wonka — started it. Probably watched half. Not loving it.

A lot of this is me being old(er) and just not having the patience for things anymore. Some is just that the content isn't really that great. It's damned hard to create new works now. What hasn't been done? There aren't enough new, good ideas. We have the tech to execute anything, but we don't have to invest ourselves in what we don't immediately connect with, because there's (barely) enough other stuff to try. I would rather rewatch something i've seen many times before than finish the second half of something that doesn't move me.
I don't know if there's a show that exists that more fully explores the full range of its lead's talents like Resident Alien with Alan Tudyk.

I don't know if there's a show that exists that more fully explores the full range of its lead's talents like Resident Alien with Alan Tudyk.
Have you seen Suburgatory? He has a lesser role there, but he’s still fun. That show has Cheryl Hines, and she is a riot. That show and Teenage Bounty Hunters are my two recommendations for under the radar hilarity.

Have you seen Suburgatory? He has a lesser role there, but he’s still fun. That show has Cheryl Hines, and she is a riot. That show and Teenage Bounty Hunters are my two recommendations for under the radar hilarity.
I do remember Suburgatory, that was a fun one and Cheryl Hines was great in it.

My wife and I started Teenage Bounty Hunters but didn't really get into it and then just forgot about it. Should probably revisit. I think that only had the one season.

Finally broke down and activated Max last night. Two episodes into True Detective Alaska. Intrigued.

Haven't seen a mention yet of 'Quiet on Set' on Netflix.

It's about the extreme child abuse at Nickelodeon so I wouldn't blame anyone who doesn't want to watch it, but it was good. And that's the extent of my praise of a documentary series about mental and sexual abuse of kids.

Binged it in 2 nights recently. It goes a tad awry at times but ultimately gets better & better leading to a GREAT ending. You’ll enjoy it!
Maybe I'll pick it back up. I think I was through episode three and lost interest.

Resident Alien — back for season 3. The same gooooooofy fun. I can imagine many people won't connect with this brand of humor, but it hits me. Some of it is low-brow, some is subtle, some is just quirky.

The New Look — i'm only at episode 6 or 7. Really good. As i said earlier, episode 5 made me weep. The things humans have done to each other...

Manhunt — Quite interesting. I really did not know any of this story. Or, maybe i forgot? No, i think i knew Booth shot Lincoln, but i had no knowledge of what ensued. I prolly just assumed they nabbed him immediately...

The Regime — I really liked Winslett in Mare of Easttown. Don't really like The Regime. I wonder if this is her, as producer, trying to do the Veep thing. It's like Veep crossed with House of Cards (in a way), but it has none of the humor or charm of drama of those two shows. It's almost like an ego play, and Kate gets sewn up in her outfits like Robin Wright, but... not with the same effect. Is it supposed to be fun/funny? Definitely is not.

Masters of the Air — i dunno. It's really well made. But, the missions in each episode are pretty much the same. I'm just getting to the 'aftermath' of some of that, so maybe the dynamic will be different. Very well produced. Someone above asked if the CGI is cheesy, and i have to say it is absolutely not. I'm pretty critical of that sort of thing, and i'm watching on a 75" screen. It's good, 'organic,' the physics are great...

Homicide: New York (Netflix) — True crime series, detailing six(?) different murders in Manhattan. It has a bit of a too-produced Law & Order vibe sometimes, but it's still compelling if you're into such things.

Palm Royale — Kristen Wiig's new show on Apple. After only one episode, i'm going to continue with it, but i'm not finding it of as much interest as i expected.

3 Body Problem — I've only seen the first episode. Not sure yet. I don't have immediate love for it, but i expect the bigger stuff is to come.

Drive to Survive —i'm only 2 episodes in. I LOVE F1, but i can't imagine this is going to be a fun/interesting season of this show, with Red Bull winning all the races last year. Wonder if they cut it to show some of the Christian Horner mess.

The Gentlemen — Some good moments. But, i don't love this, either. Maybe it's the cast. The main guy is just so dull. I love some Guy Richie stuff (Snatch, Rocknrolla), but not all of his stuff. I didn't care for the movie this is based on. It's a decent watch, though.

The Tourist — Definitely enjoyed season one more than season two, so far.

Feud: Capote vs The Swans — Loved this. I think with this and The New Look i'm just wallowing in the eras where there was so much more elegance and character in the daily aesthetic.

House of the Dragon — Rewatching. Fantastic stuff. 'Smaller' than GoT, but the drama is more compressed. Can't wait for season 2.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith — I really had high hopes for this. I liked her from Pen15. But, i absolutely hate when 'married' couples squabble. Hate it. Especially when it becomes the overarching theme. Sometimes it is done well, or maybe there's humor or moderation. But, here, It just gets ugly, not at all fun. I think i got 6 or 7 episodes in, but i may not even finish it.

Movies

Damsel (Netflix) — I like Millie. Didn't care for this. Too much cheese.

Priscilla — I like Sofia Coppola. Lost in Translation is a film i rewatch a few times every year. Love that movie. I liked Somewhere. But, Coppola just seems to choose projects that focus on the small stuff or nothingness, and too often, that's not enough for me. With Lost, i like Bill Murray and crushed on Scarlett and the two of them plus the atmosphere in Tokyo made a perfect brew for my sensibilities. Somewhere started with a Ferrari to hook me, and Elle Fanning was so sweet she made up for Stephen Dorff's ickiness. And i liked the atmosphere of LA (and Milan). Anyway... Priscilla is just a bit dull for me. I just don't care that much. Wasn't ever an Elvis fan, but i thought the Austin Butler film was interesting. But, a film about the wife of the star, where she stays home, goes to school, etc... Sofia focusing on the banal again.

Wonka — started it. Probably watched half. Not loving it.

A lot of this is me being old(er) and just not having the patience for things anymore. Some is just that the content isn't really that great. It's damned hard to create new works now. What hasn't been done? There aren't enough new, good ideas. We have the tech to execute anything, but we don't have to invest ourselves in what we don't immediately connect with, because there's (barely) enough other stuff to try. I would rather rewatch something i've seen many times before than finish the second half of something that doesn't move me.
It’s impressive how much tv you watch.

If you like Drive to Survive you should watch Full Swing. It’s done by the same people.

Just kidding, I know you hate golf lol.

It’s impressive how much tv you watch.

If you like Drive to Survive you should watch Full Swing. It’s done by the same people.

Just kidding, I know you hate golf lol.
Yeah, I have nothing else.
Definitely—I’m almost anti-golf. No, no… there’s no “almost” about it…. I do watch the tennis version of Drive to Survive. It’s pretty good. Got me back into caring about watching tennis again.

I've been watching Devious Maids on Hulu, so far I'm early into the second season. It's about awful rich people, crazy murders, and objectively attractive latina house keepers.

In other words, the perfect television show.

Constellation was oddly scary to me. of course i watched it only at night with everyone else asleep in the house. while watching this show, you get this strange feeling that someone is behind you. Why ? I don't know.

Unsure if it’s been said but if you like procedural cop shows, Homicide New York is very good. Done by dick wolf, same guy who did law and order.

Finished the first season of DARK. I'm liking it. Supernatural/stranger things vibes in a german town. Very difficult to keep track of the different timelines and characters but I'm really enjoying.
It gets more difficult to track but it’s an excellent show. There’s a website out there somewhere where you can select the episode you’re on and it’ll give you a chart of all the characters without spoiling anything after that episode lol

Finished the first season of DARK. I'm liking it. Supernatural/stranger things vibes in a german town. Very difficult to keep track of the different timelines and characters but I'm really enjoying.
Watched it during the pandemic and loves it. If you think season 1 is hard to keep track of, just wait.

Watched it during the pandemic and loves it. If you think season 1 is hard to keep track of, just wait.
Does it sort of come together in the end though? Hopefully by the end I don’t feel like I’m more confused than before. Watching it with my mom and we’ve done a decent job tracking it all but it’s definitely tough.

Does it sort of come together in the end though? Hopefully by the end I don’t feel like I’m more confused than before. Watching it with my mom and we’ve done a decent job tracking it all but it’s definitely tough.
I'd say so but it's wild and definitely not a phone in the hand kind of show since you have to watch the subtitles constantly to figure out what's happening.

I'd say so but it's wild and definitely not a phone in the hand kind of show since you have to watch the subtitles constantly to figure out what's happening.
Oh for sure, can't look away. We've been using the english dub though w/ subtitles. I know the proper way is to stick with the original to fully get the emotion of the character in their language but mom thought this was easier.

Oh for sure, can't look away. We've been using the english dub though w/ subtitles. I know the proper way is to stick with the original to fully get the emotion of the character in their language but mom thought this was easier.
Think I made it through like 15 minutes of the dubbed version and it was way too distracting. Makes me lose my mind if the words and mouths are perfectly synchronized.

I actually kinda like when the dubbed words and captions don't match. I just focus on whichever one is better.

DARK is good. It's been so long since I watched it that I'm afraid to give any spoilers. It might even be discussed earlier in this thread.

I actually kinda like when the dubbed words and captions don't match. I just focus on whichever one is better.

DARK is good. It's been so long since I watched it that I'm afraid to give any spoilers. It might even be discussed earlier in this thread.
Yeah I'd like to avoid spoilers. I'm hoping at the end there is a "wowwwwww" type of moment.

Finally broke down and activated Max last night. Two episodes into True Detective Alaska. Intrigued.
Finished it last night. Disappointing, at best. Didn’t care about any of the characters and the story was meh. It will be near impossible to live up to, let alone outshine the first season.

Finished it last night. Disappointing, at best. Didn’t care about any of the characters and the story was meh. It will be near impossible to live up to, let alone outshine the first season.
I agree. Not a series I will ever watch a second time.

What about 3 Body Problem? Is anyone actually enjoying this? Feels like I’m only even continuing to give it a chance because of the names behind it.