IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for a starter antibody treatment from survivors, monoclonal antibodies manufactured after analyzing and reproducing those antibodies. Because you are not an expert let me explain, antibodies are these really amazing things produced by the human body that aid in fighting disease. They do not in themselves kill an invader, however they make them sticky so they agglutinate or for the layman clump together. The result is that the foot soldiers of the immune army(the white blood cells in this instance lymphocytes) can engulf and kill them more easily and efficiently.
You may have noticed the testing for immunity to Covid19, which is now coming on line is called the Covid AG test AG standing for agglutinazation. It is important that the antibody titer(ratio of antibodies in the blood is high) to insure immunity as this titer drops you become less immune, but the body never forgets once it has made antibodies it will make them again more rapidly which is why vaccines are effective against the majority of virae.. Therefore you may get the disease again if enough time passes but severity will be less unless you have become immuno compromised. In some cases boosters are given to insure continued immunity.
Oh and the antibodies are virus specific, meaning the body produces specific antibodies for a specific virus, if the virus has a major mutation the antibodies would not necessarily be effective against a major mutation, then again a major mutation could make the virus inert.
Where did you get your medical degree.

No of course not but experts dont even know right now.
They know more than you and I and all of the experts on this board. That I feel pretty confidant in. Of course we can rely on experts like Dr Drew and Dr Oz. A couple of guys that look foolish and don't specialize in this field.

And of course all of the countries right around Sweden that have done a lot better than Sweden.
on one matrix . . . maybe. but the swedes are beating them all on the economy & liberty matrices, which have value, too.

anyway, the point is that there are not just th 2 alternatives, as some are insisting

My point is that economic security and health are both extremely important.

And most folks who seem to downplay the importance of economic security are folks who still have their jobs.

Death sucks. And folks who have lost the small businesses they’ve spent an entire career building sucks too. Both things can be true at once.
First, death sucks worse. You can always come back from financial problems. Happens all the time. I'm no expert on this but I believe if we come back too soon, it will be far worse for the economy. True or not, the most important thing, and they are not equal, is that we have to get the virus under control. It far outweighs the economy. Unless you agree with Dr Oz that opening the schools is more important than losing 2% of the children that would be going to those schools.

on one matrix . . . maybe. but the swedes are beating them all on the economy & liberty matrices, which have value, too.

anyway, the point is that there are not just th 2 alternatives, as some are insisting
I'll stick to the medical peoples opinion just the same. I guess a human life has more meaning to some than others. To each their own

who the hell is that guy?
hong kong based economist who has been tracking corona virus & various national & sub-national responses to it for months

The major disadvantage we have today is actually economic. We have gotten complacent and lazy vs the generations far before us. Real conservation and understanding how to ration is foreign to many today. Supply chains are a mess with over reliance on overseas production as well as the reliance on persistent demand with no plans on how to account for a severe loss in demand. The medical supply chain issues are worth their own 150 pages alone.
Modern society and the economy runs on people believing that their value is tied to consumption.

That isn't the only way to live. It is the only way a lot of us know.

Rubber's going to meet the road in one way or another though.

Last edited:
hong kong based economist who has been tracking corona virus & various national & sub-national responses to it for months
well, that settles that

as are the swedes. if you think medical opinion is uniform then you are mistaken
Without a doubt that is true. And one group is wrong. I'm in the take the safe side. I don't wish to risk human lives. Suddenly some want to grasp on to what Sweden believes. Does that include single payer? I don't think so.

I would say no considering everything they lost from not having the tournament this year.
No?/ Of course it would survive. In a couple of years, this would be a distant memory. Brian, in WW2, the male population went to war for years. People were away from the families. Sometimes for as many as 4 or 5 years. How would it not survive? Are you saying that if their was no season next year (and God I hope that isn't the case) that you wouldn't watch when it came back? Of course you would and so would I. Maybe with even more zest since we would have missed it so much.

In response to the OP. There will be no sports of any kind until the 1st of the year. PGA maybe with no spectators. Testing is taking too long and that's the key. It's almost May, and guess what in just five months its Halloween. Does anyone think this can be fixed that quickly. Nobody will want to go to a stadium unless it is fixed. 0% chance for sports.

No offense intended, but that's a dumb question. Come on man.

Schools are already beginning to shutter some programs. The new G League move is a big potential gut punch. Revenues are being crushed right now. There is momentum here in the wrong direction.

Think about how much money is lost if there is no Cfb or cbb until 2021. We are barely one month in and 1 and a quarter collegiate athletics seasons cancelled and already there is a lot of concern and strain. Add 6-8 months or more to that and you honestly think there will be ample cash flow? There may be some but some schools will pretty dire straights in terms of funding.

Please be wrong

If that is the case then either Hoops is deemed late enough in the year to be played ( with many other pre-requisites of course) or basically it's 2021 or bust for a college hoops season. Seems implausible to try and run them together full bore, not to mention the overlap with all the normal spring sports to boot.

If that is the case then either Hoops is deemed late enough in the year to be played ( with many other pre-requisites of course) or basically it's 2021 or bust for a college hoops season. Seems implausible to try and run them together full bore, not to mention the overlap with all the normal spring sports to boot.
He’s the only person on twitter who has sources saying this so I’m not sure what to think. It seems awfully early to be making any decisions like that though

No?/ Of course it would survive. In a couple of years, this would be a distant memory. Brian, in WW2, the male population went to war for years. People were away from the families. Sometimes for as many as 4 or 5 years. How would it not survive? Are you saying that if their was no season next year (and God I hope that isn't the case) that you wouldn't watch when it came back? Of course you would and so would I. Maybe with even more zest since we would have missed it so much.
Im always going to watch college hoops but the ncaa tournament is what the ncaa relies on every year let's just say for arguments sake there is no season next year they could be in trouble.

Why?

To me that sounds like a lot better plan than the more fanciful stuff that's been brought up.
I’m not ready to give up hope on college football Saturdays in April. Part of me would rather not have a season at all than have one in the spring but I guess that depends on what happens with basketball.

I’m not ready to give up hope on college football Saturdays in April. Part of me would rather not have a season at all than have one in the spring but I guess that depends on what happens with basketball.
I think maybe you should be watching to see what happens to campus closures in the fall moreso than what happens with basketball.

There's a solid chance a certain number of campuses don't open in the fall for regular academic purposes. In fact, that chance looks more likely by the day.

This is stupid influenza was followed by the greatest economic boom in world history. We could follow suit but TP horders want to stay inside.

College basketball teams can play in empty gyms if they have to.

College students can be quarantined in their dorms and not terrorized by their parents at home.

Higher education has to lead the way. If they get rona they get rona they’ll be fine especially since they’ll probably be tested once a week.

This is stupid influenza was followed by the greatest economic boom in world history. We could follow suit but TP horders want to stay inside.

College basketball teams can play in empty gyms if they have to.

College students can be quarantined in their dorms and not terrorized by their parents at home.

Higher education has to lead the way. If they get rona they get rona they’ll be fine especially since they’ll probably be tested once a week.
So you're basically saying

giphy.gif

It's a bold take. Not a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.