Incredibly stupid | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Incredibly stupid

But wait — who gets the ball? And before anyone says ‘GIRARD!!!!’ I’ve read 9 million posts about hero ball and D3 guy, etc.

I’d love it if JB drew something up with more creativity but giving the ball to your most dynamic player seems logical to me. What sucks is that Judah hasn’t handled it well … twice.
You had enough time to play something resembling basketball instead of ultimate warrior

You had enough time to play something resembling basketball instead of ultimate warrior

So, Mintz had to get the ball to break the press. We know that that couldn’t have really changed. Any coaching decision that involves breaking the press with not your best press breaker is not a good coaching decision.

So now we’re at 12 seconds, or whatever it was, with the ball in Mintz’s hands a little beyond half court. The numbers were even. If we waited to get our trailing guys involved, we wouldn’t have been able to initiate any kind of offense until something like the 8 second mark. Girard probably gets smothered and taken out of the picture immediately. Hima is wasteland of nothingness. We’ve established that Mintz isn’t allowed to do things with the ball. So that would have left Benny (Bell?) and Brown as the choices? The fact that I don’t even know which ones were in I think tells you how good they are as scoring options.

He is not a point guard. His whole game is out of control. What's the point of having Girard and Bell with John riggins running the point
Lol this made me laugh. Not even Barry Sanders, this has been like having Jerome Bettis or John Riggins or Derrick Henry bulldozing through ppl at point guard . Completely insane to continue seeing this repeated over and over by a 78 year old hall of fame coach.

Lol this made me laugh. Not even Barry Sanders, this has been like having Jerome Bettis or John Riggins or Derrick Henry bulldozing through ppl at point guard . Completely insane to continue seeing this repeated over and over by a 78 year old hall of fame coach.

What’s the fix? Symir ‘can’t score and really not much of a passer’ Torrence?

We have two recent losses in very winnable games where your best player doesn’t even touch the ball the last possession, not only does he not touch it, he wasn’t even looked at, the second best scoring option didn’t touch it either.

We have two recent losses in very winnable games where your best player doesn’t even touch the ball the last possession, not only does he not touch it, he wasn’t even looked at, the second best scoring option didn’t touch it either.

Mintz was used to break the press. This is different than drawing up a play for him. He broke the press and saw an opportunity, that frankly, was a good opportunity you’d usually want your star guard to take advantage of. Other than maybe yelling for him to stop, I’m not sure what JB could have done to get the ball out of Mintz’s hands there.

I know some are saying to get him off the court but, again, he was our press breaker. He needed to be on the court. Idk what the timeout situation was. I suppose we could have called a timeout when the ball crossed halfcourt. But then you’re costing yourself valuable time having to inbound again.

Mintz was used to break the press. This is different than drawing up a play for him. He broke the press and saw an opportunity, that frankly, was a good opportunity you’d usually want your star guard to take advantage of. Other than maybe yelling for him to stop, I’m not sure what JB could have done to get the ball out of Mintz’s hands there.

I know some are saying to get him off the court but, again, he was our press breaker. He needed to be on the court. Idk what the timeout situation was. I suppose we could have called a timeout when the ball crossed halfcourt. But then you’re costing yourself valuable time having to inbound again.
15 seconds is a long time,, I’m not sure how many were left when he crossed half court but I’m guessing 11 or 12. There still is zero excuse for Joe not taking these last shots, at this point going forward I don’t care if the guy is in Joes jersey with him, I feel far more comfortable with Joe shooting a prayer than Judah doing anything other than a straight layup. He has to be under 35% on mid range or deeper, it’s bad.

15 seconds is a long time,, I’m not sure how many were left when he crossed half court but I’m guessing 11 or 12. There still is zero excuse for Joe not taking these last shots, at this point going forward I don’t care if the guy is in Joes jersey with him, I feel far more comfortable with Joe shooting a prayer than Judah doing anything other than a straight layup. He has to be under 35% on mid range or deeper, it’s bad.

I agree that Joe needs to be taking shots in late game situations.

15 seconds is a freaking eternity

All depends on the ref. We happened to get one tonight who really likes the charge call. His wife must’ve told him he looks sexy doing it or something.

Other games, you’ll get a ref who would call that a block every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Carolina mafia will screw us over if we give them the opportunity

Interesting debate here about whether Mintz was 'out of control' or not.

Even if he was 'in control', where was he going, what was the plan? Get an And 1, off a close layup attempt? Draw a defender and dump?

He was going so fast, and the defender was in perfect position (offering up / forcing him to his left, and sagging to account for Mintz's superior quickness), but Mintz chose instead to what? Euro to the left? Exactly where the defender wanted? To dodge someone, its best if they are reaching or flat footed.

The play, if Mintz is gonna take a shot by gawd, on a sagging player is to drive, then pull up and shoot a jumper. You can drive past reaching players. You cannot drive past sagging players.

He was going so fast that Maliq didn't have time to move off ball to a good dump off position.

I love the And 1 in those scenarios, but a charge is the worst thing you can do.

Get into the players chest without charging and maybe seal him with a spin move, and lay with your left, but don't euro on a retreating player. Or, stop and fake up and duck under, and attempt to get a touch foul on an 8 foot jumper.

Incredibly painful loss. Definitely not all on Mintz or anyone. Its a team loss and the refs obviously hosed us, but so painful.

EDIT
I watched it again, and my description above is wrong. What I remember about his defenders position is the moment after Mintz was starting to carry the ball across the defenders face.

The defender was really on Mintz's left, which is why Mintz was driving right. Mintz had the defender's legs crossed at one point and could really have broken his ankles with a simple cross-over back to his left (but Bennie was maybe in the way). Great move if he has a reliable 18' jumper.

Instead, Mintz continues to drive hard to the rightish block, but his defender is able to place himself in Mintz's path and re-position himself on Mintz's right side. When this happens, Mintz starts the long euro step and big movement with the ball / his elbow to a more direct line to the hoop (from low-angle right, to straight).

With the long, loping strides Mintz was taking, its hard to take the short steps required to adjust.

Last edited:
The good news is i’ve changed my opinion. We’re growing as a team and could make an Acc tourney run (although we never have). Acc tourney is our ncaa tourney so we need to take seriously.

He's not a star guard

Interesting debate here about whether Mintz was 'out of control' or not.

Even if he was 'in control', where was he going, what was the plan? Get an And 1, off a close layup attempt? Draw a defender and dump?

He was going so fast, and the defender was in perfect position (offering up / forcing him to his left, and sagging to account for Mintz's superior quickness), but Mintz chose instead to what? Euro to the left? Exactly where the defender wanted? To dodge someone, its best if they are reaching or flat footed.

The play, if Mintz is gonna take a shot by gawd, on a sagging player is to drive, then pull up and shoot a jumper. You can drive past reaching players. You cannot drive past sagging players.

He was going so fast that Maliq didn't have time to move off ball to a good dump off position.

I love the And 1 in those scenarios, but a charge is the worst thing you can do.

Get into the players chest without charging and maybe seal him with a spin move, and lay with your left, but don't euro on a retreating player. Or, stop and fake up and duck under, and attempt to get a touch foul on an 8 foot jumper.

Incredibly painful loss. Definitely not all on Mintz or anyone. Its a team loss and the refs obviously hosed us, but so painful.
A charge is not the worst thing you can do. The worst thing you can do is by some act of god commit a flagrant foul ……..ON OFFENSE. The offensive flagrant foul reminds me of the Guilty Bystander Jackie Chiles references in Seinfeld

A charge is not the worst thing you can do. The worst thing you can do is by some act of god commit a flagrant foul ……..ON OFFENSE. The offensive flagrant foul reminds me of the Guilty Bystander Jackie Chiles references in Seinfeld
Even if they didn't call a foul on Mintz , he still got to get two feet down, made a football move, and completed the catch to the ground, when the defenders was actively trying to avoid any contact

As if that isn't bad enough, you elbow the guy in the face. If your whole plan is to go straight into someone and they don't cooperate, you can't create contact with your elbow to his face

Real guards can adapt and pass or pull up

1348356871-circle-of-trust-01-white-bg_3.png

This is how I feel about Judah in late game situations at this point.

How many more times are we going to see this?
Enough that Mintz will keep being talked about as a dynamic player with a lot of potential but not NBA ready. Maybe JB knows he has a good young team that is a year away from being a championship team, so let Mintz take the lumps and learn this season. This team can be very good next year, especially if the seniors (at least one of them) comes back and we get one of the top high schoolers we are going after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom