Incredibly stupid | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Incredibly stupid

The only post that I needed to read. You don't milk the clock there. You need to get a bucket up in the event you miss and need to foul.
Problem is when you go in insane panic hair on fire mode, you don't even get a shot up

Enough that Mintz will keep being talked about as a dynamic player with a lot of potential but not NBA ready. Maybe JB knows he has a good young team that is a year away from being a championship team, so let Mintz take the lumps and learn this season. This team can be very good next year, especially if the seniors (at least one of them) comes back and we get one of the top high schoolers we are going after.
Even if Mintz stays we are going to suck next year. We lose 50% of our production with two players and nobody to replace them. This is yet again another wasted season.

Problem is when you go in insane panic hair on fire mode, you don't even get a shot up
He didn't go insane panic hair. He had a lane to the basket and got called on a bang bang subjective charge with a F1 to add insult to injury. Had Mintz stopped to set up an offense, they may not even get a shot off.

Even if Mintz stays we are going to suck next year. We lose 50% of our production with two players and nobody to replace them. This is yet again another wasted season.
A wasted season? What are you expecting this year? I seriously need to know, because I keep seeing this. They are not a good enough team to make the tournament. I saw this as a development year for the freshman. Last year was a wasted season because they couldn't defend but could outscore you on any given night when the shot was there.

A wasted season? What are you expecting this year? I seriously need to know, because I keep seeing this. They are not a good enough team to make the tournament. I saw this as a development year for the freshman. Last year was a wasted season because they couldn't defend but could outscore you on any given night when the shot was there.
There’s no developmental years in college basketball. You’re either good or you suck and we suck. As long as Girard and Edwards are gone next year this team is looking at another 18-13 type season. We have NOBODY to replace their production coming in and JB never goes to the portal so expect to lose to more shtbums like Colgate and Bryant next season because these guys aren’t “ready”.

He didn't go insane panic hair. He had a lane to the basket and got called on a bang bang subjective charge with a F1 to add insult to injury. Had Mintz stopped to set up an offense, they may not even get a shot off.
Two questions
If he had a lane to the basket, why did it look like a crime scene after
If that was a lane to the basket, what constitutes not having a lane to the basket? A contest winner already there shooting from a recliner?

But wait — who gets the ball? And before anyone says ‘GIRARD!!!!’ I’ve read 9 million posts about hero ball and D3 guy, etc.

I’d love it if JB drew something up with more creativity but giving the ball to your most dynamic player seems logical to me. What sucks is that Judah hasn’t handled it well … twice.
They hadn’t stopped him going to the basketball night.

Sophomore Judah probably keeps going to his right in that situation and either gets a pretty good look at a layup or forces a foul.

Most shortcomings this team has are attributable to freshman being freshman. These ain’t 5 stars.

Wrong, ACC Refs have decided that Judah Mintz does not deserve Foul Calls, at least the last 4-5 games

Unlike the UNC guard who stepped in and the whistle blew for a shooting foul before anything even happened.

If he had a 'lane to the basket', he hit the median.

He was like a car in the right lane at an off ramp but needing to be in the left lane and unwilling to wait for the next exit.

Great player, just not sure what he was trying to accomplish there.

Yeah,,it seems like neither JB OR Mintz learned anything from the Miami game.
End of game situations are clearly not JB's strong suit.

I don’t know what we’re faulting JB for at the end of this game. I guess it’s keeping his star freshman in the game. Idk, I just don’t see any coach taking him out in that spot. Not Coach K, not John Wooden, not anybody.

The only post that I needed to read. You don't milk the clock there. You need to get a bucket up in the event you miss and need to foul.
That is the general convention. It’s also the wrong move at that time and specific situation . You miss the shot and then you foul and they’re in the double bonus . God forbid they miss the second free throw, good luck getting the rebound.

Then you have to bring the ball all the way down the court again and hit a shot to tie or win. It’s just not likely.

Vs taking one shot to win or lose…. When you are definitely the weaker team and your best player has fouled out.

Bang bang is accurate only in so far is that WAS the sound of mintz elbow hitting RJ’s face.

Not sure experience will help Judah for end game situations. For players destined to be "the guy" the game slows down as the pressure builds. They become more focused and calmer. They decend into a deeper "zone". It is a mental capability most people don't have. Judah becomes frantic rushing to make the play. Talent alone does not mean the player has the make-up to take the last shot.

That is the general convention. It’s also the wrong move at that time and specific situation . You miss the shot and then you foul and they’re in the double bonus . God forbid they miss the second free throw, good luck getting the rebound.

Then you have to bring the ball all the way down the court again and hit a shot to tie or win. It’s just not likely.

Vs taking one shot to win or lose…. When you are definitely the weaker team and your best player has fouled out.

I don’t know what to make of this post. With 15 seconds on the clock, down 1, you shoot as soon as you get a look at the basket.

Boeheim is way too indifferent between good and bad shots. It's part of his intuition that worked really well when players couldn't shoot.

When leading, just milk the clock. If it's a bad shot, so what, they're all bad shots. When trailing, just give it to your supposed best guy and go, you're not going to get a better shot moving it around anyway.

Problem now is that teams can make shots and you can't go one man team with a kid who is cracking

I don’t know what to make of this post. With 15 seconds on the clock, down 1, you shoot as soon as you get a look at the basket.
define good look? 15 seconds is ample time to get a good shot.

Not sure experience will help Judah for end game situations. For players destined to be "the guy" the game slows down as the pressure builds. They become more focused and calmer. They decend into a deeper "zone". It is a mental capability most people don't have. Judah becomes frantic rushing to make the play. Talent alone does not mean the player has the make-up to take the last shot.

Nobody ever really is "destined" to be "the guy". I'm as critical of Mintz as anyone right now but I don't think one play forecasts the rest of the guy's life as a basketball player. This just reads like some Skip Bayless.

We didn't get a shot so the hair on fire attack failed

Sort of. It was a shot attempt. If they called a block there on that very much 50/50 call, Mintz would have been at the FT line.

Crazy talk. You can't ever be that out of control and get the call
not true, have you people ever played this game!

I did AND refed for years. You cannot be moving as you take a charge period, end of story, let alone at full speed impeding the progress of the other player, expecting him to stop.

No matter how wild and stupid mintz is to put himself in that position, and Boeheim to let him do it, it isn't a charge let alone a flagrant. EGREGIOUSLY horrendous.

No I agree with gottlieb and the other refs I’ve spoken with this morning. I'm still so effen pissed. EVERY. FRIGGIN. YEAR

It’s like death and taxes, expect to get screwed by ACC refs against a Carolina team, usually down there, but in our place?! Sickening. Literally.

It’s this all over again, once more.
0D1614A9-072E-41ED-83F2-19B86D1B3A2C.png

Last edited:
define good look? 15 seconds is ample time to get a good shot.

15 seconds is ample time. You don’t want to be shooting it with 4 seconds left though.

I think Mintz crossed half court with about 12 seconds left. He had a 1-on-1 with more room to work than we’d see in any halfcourt set. There’s obviously a point of contention over exactly how out of control he was or was not. But a gifted guard with momentum against a backpedaling defender and no defenders at the rim is usually ‘good look’ territory. Mintz didn’t execute and ended up on the wrong end of the most inconsistent call in basketball.

Alternatively, he could have pulled it out and waited for the other guys to get down the court. Now we’re initiating something with about 9 seconds left. Joe was going to be smothered. Hima is a non-option. I guess we could have hoped a freshman Forward would have stepped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom