Incredibly stupid | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Incredibly stupid

15 seconds is ample time. You don’t want to be shooting it with 4 seconds left though.

I think Mintz crossed half court with about 12 seconds left. He had a 1-on-1 with more room to work than we’d see in any halfcourt set. There’s obviously a point of contention over exactly how out of control he was or was not. But a gifted guard with momentum against a backpedaling defender and no defenders at the rim is usually ‘good look’ territory. Mintz didn’t execute and ended up on the wrong end of the most inconsistent call in basketball.

Alternatively, he could have pulled it out and waited for the other guys to get down the court. Now we’re initiating something with about 9 seconds left. Joe was going to be smothered. Hima is a non-option. I guess we could have hoped a freshman Forward would have stepped up.
I’ll take Joe jacking up a 3 From 35 feet at the buzzer over Entropy Boy

not true, have you people ever played this game! You cannot be moving as you take a charge period, let alone at full speed impeding the progress of the other player. No matter how wild and stupid mintz is to put himself in that position, and Boeheim to let him do it, it isn't a charge let alone a flagrant.
My career ended when I broke my face, hip, femur, and taint on the exact drive to the basket as mintz's they called me for a charge too

This is what happens sometimes with freshman PGs. Not every one comes in with Flynn and Ennis levels of poise. Remember Kemba Walker as a freshman? He was often wildly out of control -- looked to be a bit of a mess when he faced us. We know how that turned out.

Remember that prior to the flagrant 1, Mintz had recently checked-in and made a rapid series of plays for us. We kind of have to live with the ball in his hands late because there is no other option which is tenable

This is what happens sometimes with freshman PGs. Not every one comes in with Flynn and Ennis levels of poise. Remember Kemba Walker as a freshman? He was often wildly out of control -- looked to be a bit of a mess when he faced us. We know how that turned out.

Remember that prior to the flagrant 1, Mintz had recently checked-in and made a rapid series of plays for us. We kind of have to live with the ball in his hands late because there is no other option which is tenable
Five seconds I might agree. Fifteen no way.

Judah is talented. But I do not believe he is a winning basketball player at this stage of his career and is not a 40-minute per game point guard. Makes too many boneheaded plays, tries to go hero ball and do it himself way too often.

Problem is, the team has no choice. He's the best option out of many - though I do think Sy Torrence could be a more in-control version that's less talented at finishing. He's not a P5 starter or player, In my view, but based on our roster construct he should be playing more minutes consistently. But that's one man's view.

I think the other thing that I'd like to point out is he can't shoot. It is greatly impacting our offense. 7-18 is not good. 18% from 3.

JB is playing the metagame here...

Purposely puts Mintz in these situations that are destined to fail. Mintz then realizes he isn't ready for the NBA. Then Mintz comes back next year with some high priced transfers, and we win the title..

It's all part of the grand plan

Judah is talented. But I do not believe he is a winning basketball player at this stage of his career and is not a 40-minute per game point guard. Makes too many boneheaded plays, tries to go hero ball and do it himself way too often.

Problem is, the team has no choice. He's the best option out of many - though I do think Sy Torrence could be a more in-control version that's less talented at finishing. He's not a P5 starter or player, In my view, but based on our roster construct he should be playing more minutes consistently. But that's one man's view.

I think the other thing that I'd like to point out is he can't shoot. It is greatly impacting our offense. 7-18 is not good. 18% from 3.

He can’t shoot 3’s well but he barely attempts any. So he knows his strengths and weaknesses. Inside the arc he’s actually quite efficient, especially for a guard.

If there were so many better choices why did NC assume it would be a Mintz drive? They assumed our stupidity? Why did Bacot say they knew it was coming and the defender stuck his nose and chest into him? For those of you who say you can’t lead with your elbow, you’re correct. However, within your core you can change the side the ball is on. Judah did this high and the defender was NOT set. If Judah ran into him with his body it would have been a charge. Instead the contact occurred high and they got tangled up. Judah was clearly changing direction to avoid running over the man. If you call the charge, so be it. Flagrant? Ridiculous. It was a basketball play. Also, the other play they reviewed for contact to the head was an uncalled block. It’s SO easy to coach in the rear view mirror.

If there were so many better choices why did NC assume it would be a Mintz drive? They assumed our stupidity? Why did Bacot say they knew it was coming and the defender stuck his nose and chest into him? For those of you who say you can’t lead with your elbow, you’re correct. However, within your core you can change the side the ball is on. Judah did this high and the defender was NOT set. If Judah ran into him with his body it would have been a charge. Instead the contact occurred high and they got tangled up. Judah was clearly changing direction to avoid running over the man. If you call the charge, so be it. Flagrant? Ridiculous. It was a basketball play. Also, the other play they reviewed for contact to the head was an uncalled block. It’s SO easy to coach in the rear view mirror.
“We know that he really likes to drive the ball. He’s really aggressive and he’s good finishing around the rim,” Bacot said. “So really, kind of what RJ was doing in there was just getting his nose in there and taking the contact and chesting up with him.”

We all assumed it too. Doesn't mean we think it's a good idea. They know he doesn't pass

We all assumed it too. Doesn't mean we think it's a good idea. They know he doesn't pass
I certainly assumed it was a highly likely option. I think it was a good call. If they call the block we’re in good shape. If you remove the theatrics (probably not a great choice of words, the kid was hurt) a defensive foul was a better call. Imagine if it were the defenders arm which Judah contacted? Same place same circumstances. Hero to goat. Hindsight.

4.4 assists per game.

And over 5 per game in December and January.

I had some stats ready to go to argue with another poster who insisted Symir should have been in, in part because Symir is supposedly the better passer/creator. Symir’s career AST% is only marginally better than Judah’s and Judah’s is marginally better since November. Symir is way worse at holding on to the ball than Judah, too, based on TOV%.

He was at least a little bit out of control and it was at least a questionable call-both things can be true. I found it more maddening that we were in that position to begin with. It’s gotten way too predictable.

ultimate-warrior-running-fast-2nvgcukga6643sdc.gif
This is what I really wanted to go with here

Nobody ever really is "destined" to be "the guy". I'm as critical of Mintz as anyone right now but I don't think one play forecasts the rest of the guy's life as a basketball player. This just reads like some Skip Bayless.
Some play better when the heat is on. Some strike out. Ask David Ortiz. If Judah stays he should get more opportunities to execute.

We have literally nobody else who can break a defender down off the dribble, and Joe was being denied the ball come hell or high water. What exactly are we supposed to try and run in that situation given the limited roster we have?

Can anyone share clips of other offensive flagrant calls that are similar? I honestly don't ever recall a play like that. If it's so obvious, there should be others right?

We have literally nobody else who can break a defender down off the dribble, and Joe was being denied the ball come hell or high water. What exactly are we supposed to try and run in that situation given the limited roster we have?
Mintz bringing it up is fine but he didn't have to go straight to the hole...s on the defenders face

JB is playing the metagame here...

Purposely puts Mintz in these situations that are destined to fail. Mintz then realizes he isn't ready for the NBA. Then Mintz comes back next year with some high priced transfers, and we win the title..

It's all part of the grand plan
Those transfers are still in the shopping cart and aren't expected to arrive until 2024.

Hima was downright comical last night. You see your teammate falling out of bounds to save the ball and have no instinct to prepare for the ball coming your way? I hope Jesse returns next year. Hima and Carey won't be sufficient and sadly we will have to go the Lydon/Marek route (undersized forward in the middle) with Brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom