Independent and Big East Hoops | Syracusefan.com

Independent and Big East Hoops

I don’t care about American football anymore. The Carolina Mafia isn’t going to let us have sustained success in basketball either, so let’s pull a UConn and call it a day. I’m actively rooting for the ACC to fail.

What exactly do we do for money? And that has worked so well for our friends at UConn and UMass. I know you are joking but we are just in a bad situation.
I haven't thought it through yet but I think the best case for us might be a total implosion of the ACC. Feels kind of hopeless right now.

I haven't thought it through yet but I think the best case for us might be a total implosion of the ACC. Feels kind of hopeless right now.
That would be a bigger disaster. We at least get money to support our athletic program. These other schools are spilling money like oil coming from a sinking ship.

That would be a bigger disaster. We at least get money to support our athletic program. These other schools are spilling money like oil coming from a sinking ship.
Maybe I'm caught in the moment but it is hard to see how we aren't on the outside looking in at the end of the day. Football is all that matters and outsiders will always view our program as low floor-low ceiling.

If we were making enough money right now, Babers would have been fired 2-3 years ago.

Maybe I'm caught in the moment but it is hard to see how we aren't on the outside looking in at the end of the day. Football is all that matters and outsiders will always view our program as low floor-low ceiling.
When the time comes, we don't know what we don't know at that time. We could be better.

The key is to root for both the ACC and American football to fail.

I get all the arguments. They make perfect sense. Once you stop caring about American football, though, the path is clear.

The key is to root for both the ACC and American football to fail.

I get all the arguments. They make perfect sense. Once you stop caring about American football, though, the path is clear.
Yupp they both blow up everyone involved will have to find something new. Get a decent football only conference going with schools like Yukon, BC, Memphis, etc. and put everything else in the Big East.

None of the big boy football leagues will ever want us and it is silly to pretend otherwise.

Yupp they both blow up everyone involved will have to find something new. Get a decent football only conference going with schools like Yukon, BC, Memphis, etc. and put everything else in the Big East.

None of the big boy football leagues will ever want us and it is silly to pretend otherwise.
This is the best path and there's no reason that league won't get a decent TV deal. Won't be comparable to the SEC or Big Ten but our current one isn't either.

Maybe we shouldn't have voted against UNC and Clemson about letting 2 awful programs into the conference in Cal and Stanford plus SMU? Hows that working out so far.

This, exactly this. The Big 10 could have made an exception for us instead of taking Rutgers, but they didn’t. That tells us all we need to know.

The ACC will always treat us like junior members, but at least we’re paid like senior members. (We are paid like senior members, aren’t we?)

I genuinely believe American football as we know it won’t last. Aside from young men killing themselves for our entertainment, sports television is about to face a reckoning.

Only 32 programs (give or take) will survive. There won’t be enough money to support anything beyond that. We’re never going to come close to that group. People will stop playing American football and move on to other sports anyway.

This, exactly this. The Big 10 could have made an exception for us instead of taking Rutgers, but they didn’t. That tells us all we need to know.

The ACC will always treat us like junior members, but at least we’re paid like senior members. (We are paid like senior members, aren’t we?)

I genuinely believe American football as we know it won’t last. Aside from young men killing themselves for our entertainment, sports television is about to face a reckoning.

Only 32 programs (give or take) will survive. There won’t be enough money to support anything beyond that. We’re never going to come close to that group. People will stop playing American football and move on to other sports anyway.

Football has never been more popular its untouchable head to head vs other sport in terms of interests and ratings. Participation might be down with a certain demographic (liberal rich white people) but its not with others. You think baseball participation isn't down more? Any idea how many high schools have to combine and pool together to field an ice hockey team these days?

Rutgers went to the Big Ten after we went to the ACC we would not have taken a Big Ten invite over an ACC one if presented with both at the same time. We wanted the ACC more than it wanted us. No one could forsee NBC and CBS throwing stupid money at the Big Ten and going against every current trend in doing so to put them in their own stratosphere but it happened nearly a decade after the schools moved.

You might see schools move to FBS but honestly its working out pretty well for the ones joining Jax State is doing well this year have you seen whats going on at JMU? Liberty? Obviously we are trending towards joining them but we were once conferencemates with Temple and Uconn.

Football has never been more popular its untouchable head to head vs other sport in terms of interests and ratings. Participation might be down with a certain demographic (liberal rich white people) but its not with others. You think baseball participation isn't down more? Any idea how many high schools have to combine and pool together to field an ice hockey team these days?

Rutgers went to the Big Ten after we went to the ACC we would not have taken a Big Ten invite over an ACC one if presented with both at the same time. We wanted the ACC more than it wanted us. No one could forsee NBC and CBS throwing stupid money at the Big Ten and going against every current trend in doing so to put them in their own stratosphere but it happened nearly a decade after the schools moved.

You might see schools move to FBS but honestly it’s working out pretty well for the ones joining Jax State is doing well this year have you seen whats going on at JMU? Liberty? Obviously we are trending towards joining them but we were once conferencemates with Temple and Uconn.
As our own Aaron Sorkin famously wrote, “We’ll see.”

Location. You got 5-6 acc schools all bunched together and the rest are spread out. You wonder how it affects the odds of a miami, Ville, Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, BC, to ever have a continual top 3-4 finish in the acc. I love the idea of Cal, Stanford, and TCU putting more pressure on that, but doubt it will ever knock unc duke clemson virginia down a peg.

Who says no? HahahahahahahHh
Someone said it in game chat - Syracuse wants to be just good enough to keep cashing ACC checks. This program will never compete for championships in Football. Private Northeast school, subpar facilities, weak NIL and lack of total commitment from the BOT.

Basketball is your only hope. If the had the balls, I say drop football and flow money to hoops to create the ultimate facilities on earth. Hookers...blow...you name it...go all in

Someone said it in game chat - Syracuse wants to be just good enough to keep cashing ACC checks. This program will never compete for championships in Football. Private Northeast school, subpar facilities, weak NIL and lack of total commitment from the BOT.

Basketball is your only hope. If the had the balls, I say drop football and flow money to hoops to create the ultimate facilities on earth. Hookers...blow...you name it...go all in

The belief in the 90s was the Dome was enough to keep us top 3 in the Big East, and occasionally good enough to win the league. That was good enough for the BOT, which is why they were OK with plundering athletic department revenues instead of using those revenues to reinvest in the program.

I think that fell apart so quickly that the BOT flipped to “we’ll never be top 3 in our conference, all we should shoot for is not consistently being bottom three and making bowls may maybe half the time”.

The only consistent is that the funding was never and will never be a high priority. I know we’ve invested a lot recently - in reality that’s just spending to catch up so we don’t turn into the Vanderbilt of the ACC. (I doubt we could spend enough at this point anyway - the decisions of the Buzz Shaw era made the current struggles inevitable).

Sports TV may have a reckoning coming, but if it does, the one sport that’ll survive and thrive is football. Trust me.

1696722546647.jpeg

Sports TV may have a reckoning coming, but if it does, the one sport that’ll survive and thrive is football. Trust me.
Not as it’s currently constructed. People are wondering if the Big 12 or the ACC will be the next to go. They’ll both be gone when it’s all said and done. A handful of teams will join what becomes of the SEC and Big 10 (replacing a few sacrificial lambs like Vanderbilt and Northwestern).

A relegation model like the English Premier League could give the second tier teams hope. But most of the teams eligible to compete for a championship now will eventually find themselves on the outside looking in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom