Independent and Big East Hoops | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Independent and Big East Hoops

We need to cash big boy checks as long as humanly possible. Plan for a different future but cash the checks as long as we can milk it. The new world order is going to need their Ronnie Saunders and SD Jones's (sorry old wrestling reference), we could be that we just need to wait.

Someone said it in game chat - Syracuse wants to be just good enough to keep cashing ACC checks. This program will never compete for championships in Football. Private Northeast school, subpar facilities, weak NIL and lack of total commitment from the BOT.

Basketball is your only hope. If the had the balls, I say drop football and flow money to hoops to create the ultimate facilities on earth. Hookers...blow...you name it...go all in
Nice. Hookers and blow

Sports TV may have a reckoning coming, but if it does, the one sport that’ll survive and thrive is football. Trust me.

I'm curious why you believe that to be the case - as well as what you are using to define "thriving".

And we probably need to define what time window we're looking at - for the next ten years I think its a reasonable bet (depending on what "thriving" means). But for anything longer than that, we have demographic and economic changes coming so fast that making any predictions beyond a ten year window is a fools errand.

I don’t care about American football anymore. The Carolina Mafia isn’t going to let us have sustained success in basketball either, so let’s pull a UConn and call it a day. I’m actively rooting for the ACC to fail.
It's hard to not feel spiteful toward the Bojangles conference

I'm curious why you believe that to be the case - as well as what you are using to define "thriving".

And we probably need to define what time window we're looking at - for the next ten years I think its a reasonable bet (depending on what "thriving" means). But for anything longer than that, we have demographic and economic changes coming so fast that making any predictions beyond a ten year window is a fools errand.
The sport is savage

the rules are stupid

the arms race is wasteful

The conferences are devolving

Donating to this cause over important ones feels gross

We have no trust that we would ever be treated fairly even if we were good

Our harry Carson jersey clad fan base still doesn't know what works in college football

there are only so many times people can go to the dome in a year so football attendance really does compete with basketball

I'll keep watching but I don't care what happens.

I don’t care about American football anymore. The Carolina Mafia isn’t going to let us have sustained success in basketball either, so let’s pull a UConn and call it a day. I’m actively rooting for the ACC to fail.
Then do so by demanding that Syracuse leave and take BC with you. Join with UConn and maybe you'll be happy. If not, it no longer will matter at all to those of us who want the ACC to succeed.

As I have been saying since the 1990s, the ACC should never expand any farther north and east than Pittsburgh. The northeast has been dying as a CFB region in terms of both fans and locally produced talent since the 1950s, steadily eroding. ACC football today definitely would be better off with WVU and Cincy. Or to secure a real foothold in TX by replacing Cuse and BC with TCU and Baylor.

CFB big time requires the South and/or midwest and/or CA. CFB big time is handicapped by anything northeastern that is not named Penn St.

It's hard to not feel spiteful toward the Bojangles conference
Then prove your worth and leave. Spite the ACC by depriving it of Syracuse as a member. That will harm us so deeply we might even all commit suicide.

I triple dog dare you. Just be sure to drag BC out with you.

Do away with football, use the scholarships to add baseball and hockey. SU can compete at a high level in those sports as well as lax and soccer.
OMG! After reading this I forgot how to tie my shoes.

OMG! After reading this I forgot how to tie my shoes.
If Syracuse football is going to end up in a severe revenue negative position because of realaignment and can never be competitive, why continue with it.

Do away with football, use the scholarships to add baseball and hockey. SU can compete at a high level in those sports as well as lax and soccer.
Baseball is allowed 11.7 scholarships that can be divided among a max of 27 players.

MHockey is 14 scholarships (in the Atlantic region) that can be divided over ~30 players. WHockey is 18 scholarships that can be divided over ~30 players. To keep with Title IX, you'd probably have to add both teams.

It would be a total of 43.7 scholarships. With TV money gone (since the most comes from football) , how do you pay for it?

Baseball is allowed 11.7 scholarships that can be divided among a max of 27 players.

MHockey is 14 scholarships (in the Atlantic region) that can be divided over ~30 players. WHockey is 18 scholarships that can be divided over ~30 players. To keep with Title IX, you'd probably have to add both teams.

It would be a total of 43.7 scholarships. With TV money gone (since the most comes from football) , how do you pay for it?
That dude is trolling FYI.

I really wish Syracuse had voted with the 'cool' kids in the conference and kept the Bay Area schools and SMU out. Not a coincidence that the worst officiating calls I have ever seen with the benefit of review swung games in the first quarter after we didn't.

That dude is trolling FYI.

I really wish Syracuse had voted with the 'cool' kids in the conference and kept the Bay Area schools and SMU out. Not a coincidence that the worst officiating calls I have ever seen with the benefit of review swung games in the first quarter after we didn't.
I know. Maybe his secret agenda is for SU to leave the ACC so UMass can take its place?

I'm certainly not going to forecast 40 years into the future. I think 10-20 years is a reasonable time frame in that regard.

Football is THE most popular program on TV. And I'm defining "TV" as broadly as possible = video that is consumed on a device.

Every week, 100 to 150+ million Americans watch football, college or pro. Nothing compares to it. That habit isn't going to wither away this decade, or next.

If sports rights suddenly deteriorate, the one sport that will maintain its value is football. There are really only three broadly followed national leagues: NFL, college football, and the NBA. That's it.

MLB is arguably more popular than the NBA, but it has become a broadly followed regional sport and thus it's TV value has been diminished. Everything else is either regional or niche.

So that's my rationale. If the sports rights apocalypse is coming, football will be the one sport that survives.

The sport is savage

the rules are stupid

the arms race is wasteful

The conferences are devolving

Donating to this cause over important ones feels gross

We have no trust that we would ever be treated fairly even if we were good

Our harry Carson jersey clad fan base still doesn't know what works in college football

there are only so many times people can go to the dome in a year so football attendance really does compete with basketball

I'll keep watching but I don't care what happens.
That's fine, but that's not at all what I was talking about.

Then prove your worth and leave. Spite the ACC by depriving it of Syracuse as a member. That will harm us so deeply we might even all commit suicide.

The great news is, if this is getting you so worked up, you're not required to be here.

You save the money of not running a football program, which is hugely expensive. Basketball will continue to make enough money to fund the AD without football. And, I'm not trolling. Who would support SU football if they are not really part of the top end of the sport?

Rooting for the ACC to fail is by extension rooting for Syracuse to fail.

Why would anyone do that? BE schools get approximately $5M per year from the conference (give or take). ACC schools currently receive about $40M per year. How do you make up that difference?

Maybe the ACC isn't around in a decade or so. Maybe it is. But leaving now would be disastrous, financially.

And don't get me started on the big Southern conspiracy thing.

Rooting for the ACC to fail is by extension rooting for Syracuse to fail.

Why would anyone do that? BE schools get approximately $5M per year from the conference (give or take). ACC schools currently receive about $40M per year. How do you make up that difference?

Maybe the ACC isn't around in a decade or so. Maybe it is. But leaving now would be disastrous, financially.

And don't get me started on the big Southern conspiracy thing.
How much of that money goes back into football?

If Syracuse football is going to end up in a severe revenue negative position because of realaignment and can never be competitive, why continue with it.
Look, I know we are all down after last Saturday... they were terrible. SU will never, NEVER close down the football program or make every effort to stay with the "Ins" at the top level.

Look, I know we are all down after last Saturday... they were terrible. SU will never, NEVER close down the football program or make every effort to stay with the "Ins" at the top level.
The premise of this thread is that SU should drop out of top level football. Also, if the ACC were to break apart in the near future, Syracuse would likely be left out of the remaining major conferences. If that were to happen, there would be a big hit to revenue and football would be a huge burden.

You might want to consider the possibility that you are a loser

Last edited:
I'd like a B1G invite. I think we should accept it if we get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom