Indiana Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Indiana Thoughts

Cooney – Indiana switched a lot on defense, but tried to keep Troy Williams on Cooney. If you didn't watch the game (or sportscenter) Troy Williams is an ultra athletic 6'7 wing who had the play of the day with a follow up dunk over Fair and Grant that superman would be envious of. You might think that Williams length and athleticism would bother Cooney, but it didn't. Cooney ran Williams ragged, sprinting past screens, stopping on a dime and shooting with a quick release. I've said it before but Cooney makes incredibly difficult shots, and if he keeps making them I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to stop him. I mentioned to a friend before the game that if Cooney got hot, Indiana would not stand a chance, and that was true - he hit more threes than the entire Indiana team. Cooney is also playing fantastic defense, getting steals while maintaining good positional defense, something only the best of the best do.

A ton of good stuff in here as always. A few comments on your comments:

1) As for the game, I thought IU was going to get run early in this one. Those two threes late in the shot clock by Ferrell made this game look closer than it was into the second half. Obviously he can make those shots and there's no point getting into the 'what if' game, but IU very easily could've been in big trouble after the first 20.

2) The bolded point above hasn't been mentioned enough, IMO (myself included). The fact that cooney is scoring 15 and draining 47% from three is huge as it is. The fact that he's doing that while sprinting off a screen, stopping on a dime, getting his feet set and often draining contested threes is really a level I would never have expected from him this year ... or maybe ever. Amazing to watch and a massive development for this team.

3) Thought it was interesting that Crean, who I don't remember struggling that much vs. the zone at Marquette, looked absolutely miserable against it for the second time in 8 months. The teams are different, obviously, and Crean can still coach, but that is not his finest moment. They looked every bit as clueless as they did from the tip in April (or late March, whenever that was).

4) Grant's had an odd season thus far. Seems distracted quite a bit and the defensive lapses are just painful at times. Hopefully he can even out his performance.

I love your posts General. Having never played myself, I have picked up some of the strategy on tv to the point where I thought I understood what was going on out there most of the time. But I really learn a lot from your posts. I kind of wish I had time to watch each game over again after I read your recaps just to try to catch the things you mention.

How I picture General:

general__1386200145_173.56.223.107.jpg

Love the post.

There is a certain kind of fear some teams display against the zone; an intimidation - that cannot be overstated vs this Indiana team. They came out tentative.