Interesting comment by Oshae | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting comment by Oshae

OB has one pretty elite skill; guy can draw a ton of fouls.

I've probably hammered him for the 2 point % as much as anyone, but he draws a ton of fouls, he's 81% from the line, and he's 34% from 3, which isn't great, but doesn't scream "this guy can't shoot". He's played a ton of minutes and has almost certainly been asked to do more than he's capable of right now. Assuming he comes back next year, I don't think he is that far away from being very productive.
He's shooting almost 38% from deep in conference play on about 5 attempts per game, so his shooting is improving, and as you say, he gets to the line a lot and knocks them down. Not sure why he has been unable to finish consistently at the rim (maybe he's anticipating contact and not getting it) but that's something he can certainly improve. When it does, he will be an offensive beast.

He doesn't exactly blow by guys too often. He bullies his way in and is lucky he doesn't get called for offensive fouls more often, as he uses his off arm to push off a lot.
So now the criteria is not beat his man off the dribble, but "blow by guys". Got it.
:rolling:

Brissett has a more diverse skill set, yes, but Grant is an elite athlete, even at the NBA level. He's long, rangy and ultra athletic. As longislandcuse pointed out, his value is on the defensive end while providing just enough junk offense to have to pay attention to on that side as well. Brissett shooting 36% from two, when almost all of those shots are taken in the paint/at the rim, is abysmal.
Grant is a late bloomer. His athleticism preceded his skill set. His lifetime NBA 3 pt% is 30% which is not out of line for a PF. He is shooting 52% from the floor against NBA talent this season. No reason to continue to trash his offense. His skill set is probably still catching up to his athleticism.

He’s got a nice looking shot and release he just needs more reps to hit a more consistent percentage. I don’t think he shot much in hs because his slashing ability was dominant at the hs level to finish.

Oshae has lottery pick potential...next year.

He has an NBA body and an insanely quick first step and second jump.

He will improve his 3 point shooting percentage and with Bazley playing forward alongside him, won't have 900 people in the lane and will finish, and probably highlight reel dunk, on a few people.

He shouldn't leave this year unless we make the tourney and he blows up to be a 1st Round pick. Next year, I have all the confidence in the world that he will be a monster and a possible lottery pick.
Then why wouldn’t a team with a late 1st/early 2nd take a crack at him before he’s a lottery pick?

Then why wouldn’t a team with a late 1st/early 2nd take a crack at him before he’s a lottery pick?
He's not a guaranteed lottery pick but your reasoning is obviously why he could go pro and be drafted late 1st for his potential should he get more chances to showcase himself this year.

Grant is a late bloomer. His athleticism preceded his skill set. His lifetime NBA 3 pt% is 30% which is not out of line for a PF. He is shooting 52% from the floor against NBA talent this season. No reason to continue to trash his offense. His skill set is probably still catching up to his athleticism.

I love Grant, not sure why you think that I trashed him. He is the 6th or 7th option on offense on that team and 56% of his field goal attempts this season are within 3 feet of the basket (aka dunks/layups - nearly 70% of his attempts are inside 10 feet). He's also only shooting 26% from three this year. I think he's improved his offensive game, but I watch a decent amount of OKC games and he does not score much outside of fast break attempts, putbacks and drive and dishes.

After reading that, why would we want him back?

I don't mean it as bashing Brissett, just looking at him realistically. He's been great for us at times, especially because we have literally no one else to turn to. I would say at this point though, the only NBA skill that he's displayed is rebounding ability.

NBA scouts don't care about shooting percentages, and average points scored, yada yada yada... They look at physical attributes and potential, based on what they "see" when they watch a guy play. I agree that OB has a ton of holes in his game, but as someone said earlier, why not take a flyer on him late in round 1 if you see great long term potential. My thoughts are that he has no business leaving now, because like people have said on here...you're really playing for that second deal, if you really want to hang around. Chances are you're not getting it, if you're stuck in the G League. I mean we haven't had a player really NBA "ready" since Melo(who had no business even playing college ball...but oh so happy that he did!!) Marvin Williams went early, wasn't a starter at UNC. Myles Turner went early, played sparingly at Texas. You just never know. Our recent history is not good, we kept Lydon a year longer than I thought, maybe OB will do the same! Fingers crossed.

It doesn't bother me that when he drives to the hoop that sometimes he gets his shot blocked or misses. I would much rather see that then have the team throw the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and then hoist up a three. At least when he drives in, it creates an opportunity for him to make the shot or get fouled. Plus in the natural evolution of things, hopefully he becomes a little stronger next season and some more of those misses become makes.
I would like to see him jump stop and take the 10 footer on occasion. Is that too much to ask? And that goes for Howard and Battle too.

NBA scouts don't care about shooting percentages
Negative. They certainly do. But it's all part of the total package. If a guy is shooting well against his peer competitors and has good mechanics, then the probability that he can replicate that at the NBA level is better than a guy who is shooting well but has poor mechanics, but just gets a lot of open attempts. Brissett has good mechanics, a little slow, but good for a PF. He's a tweener though, IMO, like most SU players, too small for a regular PF role, but not quick and agile enough to be a SF. That his FT % is also very good speaks to his repeatable form and shot mechanics.

At this point in time OB is not on any 1st round Draft boards (and not on a number of 2nd round boards either), a ton would need to happen for that to change. We have played 90%+ of the games we are going to play this year so scouts have seen everything they need to at this point. And while we like to look to Malachi Richardson as the "rule" of how that could change, we should instead be looking at that situation as the "exception". Its pretty rare that a player from Syracuse goes from undrafted to 1st round pick in a matter of a week come year end. Without that UVA game Mali would have been back for another year, and odds are OB will be back as well.

Oshae is not ready. We know it. He knows it. Coach knows it. Scouts know it. It would be too big a gamble to at best end up drafted late in second round. He’d be taking a hot dog when next year he’ll get steak barring injuries. Bazley will provide the perfect stage for him as teams key on Bazley Just no way he leaves yet

Negative. They certainly do. But it's all part of the total package. If a guy is shooting well against his peer competitors and has good mechanics, then the probability that he can replicate that at the NBA level is better than a guy who is shooting well but has poor mechanics, but just gets a lot of open attempts. Brissett has good mechanics, a little slow, but good for a PF. He's a tweener though, IMO, like most SU players, too small for a regular PF role, but not quick and agile enough to be a SF. That his FT % is also very good speaks to his repeatable form and shot mechanics.
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant, just did not word it very well. If they see the good mechanics, then there is a greater chance the percentages will go up with some extra work. Definitely shouldn't say they don't care, but there is so much more too it.

We've seen our big three take some very questionable shots this year, which is keeping many of their percentages down. With more shooters around them, they should and will get more open looks, so good mechanics suggest a bit of a higher percentage.

With that said...he's still got a lot of work to do, to be close to NBA ready.

Privately

...to coaches or ?

I feel like this is something the board would have melted down over by now. I fully believe Oshae’s an nba talent that’ll fit better at the pro level. However, the board is split up and down on this topic so I figured this sort of blatant intention to declare would draw more attention.

My bad. I misread your post a little. Your post was fair. I disagree with some of it but I get your point.

I actually think he is a decent pro prospect, but I think right now he's a classic tweener. Not big enough for the 4 in the NBA and not enough offensive or defensive skill to be a 3. The potential is there for sure, and I guess that's all the NBA cares about anymore, so who knows what he'll do after this year.

...to coaches or ?

I feel like this is something the board would have melted down over by now. I fully believe Oshae’s an nba talent that’ll fit better at the pro level. However, the board is split up and down on this topic so I figured this sort of blatant intention to declare would draw more attention.
I really hope he comes back for his sophomore season, but I would be very surprised if he does. Brissett and Bazley on the wings would be dynamic. Unfortunately I think there is an 85% chance he leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom