Interesting comment by Oshae | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting comment by Oshae

He certainly could go pro but you'd hope he'd stay one more year for the financial security of being a possible lottery pick over a fringe pick determined by his workouts while testing the waters.

This isn't like Tyler Ennis or Malachi Richardson striking while the iron is hot, knowing they've probably hit peak draft position.

Now a tourney run could change that and catapult him solidly into the 1st Round. People should be prepared that "big if" we make a run to the second weekend and OB plays big, that could be a trade off. Would you rather have a Sweet 16 birth or a 2nd year of OB.

If we miss the tourney AND he goes pro. Well, that just sucks but what can you do..

Oshae has lottery pick potential...next year.

He has an NBA body and an insanely quick first step and second jump.

He will improve his 3 point shooting percentage and with Bazley playing forward alongside him, won't have 900 people in the lane and will finish, and probably highlight reel dunk, on a few people.

He shouldn't leave this year unless we make the tourney and he blows up to be a 1st Round pick. Next year, I have all the confidence in the world that he will be a monster and a possible lottery pick.
Oshae definitely has NBA athleticism. But I'd compare his game more to Wesley Johnson than to JG. Grant is longer and was an elite defender and a complimentary scorer (no 3pt game to speak of). He's a 4/5 in the NBA. Oshae is more of a 3/SF like Johnson. For those thinking WJ was a better outside shooter -- he was (>40%) -- but in his third year. His first two years (Iowa St.) he shot 29% and 33%. Oshae's already shooting 34% as a freshman. And he's already rebounding as well as WJ did as a Junior.

Super high ceiling for OB. If he returns as most of predict, with a little more weight/strength, tighter handle and a better surrounding cast ... no way he makes it to his junior year.

Syracuse University
Wes Johnson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Jerami Grant College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
I really hope he comes back for his sophomore season, but I would be very surprised if he does. Brissett and Bazley on the wings would be dynamic. Unfortunately I think there is an 85% chance he leaves.
I'll never get mad at someone for chasing the guaranteed money and their dreams but you can see why fans here get annoyed. I mean, hes a 3/4 showing up on zero draft boards yet we have low key rumblings he may be gone. Ehhh ok. Not doubting you btw...its just tiresome. Meanwhile over at UNC, everyone in their front court is applying for 5th years and Marcus Paige found a loophole to come back and play a second college career.

I'll never get mad at someone for chasing the guaranteed money and their dreams but you can see why fans here get annoyed. I mean, hes a 3/4 showing up on zero draft boards yet we have low key rumblings he may be gone. Ehhh ok. Not doubting you btw...its just tiresome. Meanwhile over at UNC, everyone in their front court is applying for 5th years and Marcus Paige found a loophole to come back and play a second college career.

He may not be on draft boards right now because the thought of him leaving may not be out there yet.

He’s 62nd on ESPN’s top 100 prospects. Battle is 56th. Both of their stocks have been dropping recently FWIW.

It doesn't seem like we're much prepared if OB is One and Done.

Dolezaj/Bazley with Moyer as depth doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
I think Bazely is the replacement. SU doesn't usually have two starting talents for the same position. My guiding principle when it comes to evaluating next year's roster is whenever I think its going to be "loaded," it won't be. One of these seasons, I will then be pleasantly surprised when it is loaded. 2011-12 was the last time, and I wonder how much of that was because of some parts of 1) Fab (RIP) being woefully out of shape his first season and having to stay two; 2) Kjo not leaving early; and 3) Scoop being a 5th year senior.

Edited to add, and completely tangential, while I was looking at that roster, I looked at Scoop's career ... his FT% and 3% over time ... wow. He went from a 82% FT shooter and a 29% 3-pt shooter his freshman year to a 38% 3pt shooter and a 55% FT shooter his 5th year. I didn't remember it being such a turn around.

And how exactly would be better prepared? Sell some higher rated kid to come here telling him that if if OB leaves early there will be playing time? We have a top 10 recruit already coming in with two other kids that started at the forward position already here. Oh, and we could have Hughes play the 3 with Bazley at the 4.

If Brissett leaves, for whatever reason as it’s his choice, we best pray elijah hughes is ready. Otherwise we’re in huge trouble.

And how exactly would be better prepared? Sell some higher rated kid to come here telling him that if if OB leaves early there will be playing time? We have a top 10 recruit already coming in with two other kids that started at the forward position already here. Oh, and we could have Hughes play the 3 with Bazley at the 4.

That’s not going to work with the zone. The defense will suffer. Hughes is 6’5”. If only the coach played man.

Haven't you been paying attention? Dolezaj is going back to Europe. He just wanted a free trip to Dinosaur Barbeque and Moyer is transferring to Johns Hopkins/Julliard to pursue a medical/music performance degree so he can perform a Chopin opus while performing heart surgery.
;)

If Hughes can play the 3, then I'm good with that.

Better prepared means the other two forwards aren't ACC starter level. I have hopes for Dolezaj after an offseason but Moyer can't be in line for serious minutes if we're serious about contending next year.

Even then... Howard/Carey/Hughes/Bazley/Chukwu with Buddy/Dolezaj/Sidibe "might" be Top 4-5 ACC but not the contender we were hoping for unless this recruiting class + Hughes are all studs.

Someone said Moyer looked like he was disgusted with Boeheim during a timeout and appeared to turn away while Boeheim was talking. My take is that Moyer always comes out with an intense game face and is just in beast mode. My guess. But begs the question does Boeheim treat everyone respectfully without discord or are there unhappy players who actually may leave. Marek looks like he’s starting to enjoy himself

He certainly could go pro but you'd hope he'd stay one more year for the financial security of being a possible lottery pick over a fringe pick determined by his workouts while testing the waters.

This isn't like Tyler Ennis or Malachi Richardson striking while the iron is hot, knowing they've probably hit peak draft position.

Now a tourney run could change that and catapult him solidly into the 1st Round. People should be prepared that "big if" we make a run to the second weekend and OB plays big, that could be a trade off. Would you rather have a Sweet 16 birth or a 2nd year of OB.

If we miss the tourney AND he goes pro. Well, that just sucks but what can you do..

I'll take the extra year with OB, vs. S16 this year, as that is such an improbability. Not to mention, we'd likely have very little chance of advancing in that hypothetical game. With next year's team (at least on paper) appearing to be one with vast potential, I'd like him back to see if we could ride him to a possible FF, not to mention a regular season that isn't hovering around .500. Yeah, if we miss the tourney and he still goes pro, that'll suck for sure.

I agree with you that OB has potential to significantly enhance his draft position next year, possibly even to lottery status, whereas as you alluded to, Ennis, and Richardson weren't likely going to do that by coming back.

Last edited:
Haven't you been paying attention? Dolezaj is going back to Europe. He just wanted a free trip to Dinosaur Barbeque and Moyer is transferring to Johns Hopkins/Julliard to pursue a medical/music performance degree so he can perform a Chopin opus while performing heart surgery.
;)

Ha. Nicely done.

If he does that and wants to leave I'm ok with it.
So you're okay with arguably the least ready guy (in terms of on court play and apparent interest from NBA teams) leaving?

You realize your posts about Malachi are still in the archive right?
Not to mention dozens of posts about Lydon.

So what we are really saying is that recruiting better get real good because in 2020 down the stretch we will 2 centers and washington and 1 other guard on the roster with hughes..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom