Interesting thing about Miami's 2-3 zone | Syracusefan.com

Interesting thing about Miami's 2-3 zone

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
They put their forwards at the top of the zone to create havoc in the passing lanes (just like we do best defensively with big mobile guards).

But they have guards down in the corners of the zone. I could see this being a benefit, because you have to have guys who can close quickly on a corner shooter.

It's not like they have to actually block many shots, just get their hands in shooters' faces, and be a threat with the strip or steal, if the guy is a forward who has to put the ball on the floor.

Rather than asking your center to abandon the paint to rush the corner shooter 25 feet away, why not post quick guards down low to challenge those shots, and let your center rebound, rather than taking himself out of the play?

I wonder if Boeheim would consider any of the changes to the zone concept that Eric Spoelstra showed in this last series.

People complain about JG3 and Buddy rebounding now - imagine them at the bottom lol.

Also Herro is 6’5” and Robinson is 6’7”. Herro is also an elite athlete.

It could maybe work with guys like MCW and G though

People complain about JG3 and Buddy rebounding now - imagine them at the bottom lol.

Also Herro is 6’5” and Robinson is 6’7”. Herro is also an elite athlete.

It could maybe work with guys like MCW and G though

Rebounding at the bottom of the zone could potentially be better, if the center stayed at home and blocked out, instead of running all the way out to cover the corner shooter.

Of course, it would be critical for guards to get in the way of the corner shooter from crashing the weak side boards.

Interesting to see somebody else do it differently and think "hmm, could we do that?"

They put their forwards at the top of the zone to create havoc in the passing lanes (just like we do best defensively with big mobile guards).

But they have guards down in the corners of the zone. I could see this being a benefit, because you have to have guys who can close quickly on a corner shooter.

It's not like they have to actually block many shots, just get their hands in shooters' faces, and be a threat with the strip or steal, if the guy is a forward who has to put the ball on the floor.

Rather than asking your center to abandon the paint to rush the corner shooter 25 feet away, why not post quick guards down low to challenge those shots, and let your center rebound, rather than taking himself out of the play?

I wonder if Boeheim would consider any of the changes to the zone concept that Eric Spoelstra showed in this last series.
Not sure what everyone's thoughts are on Spoelstra as a coach but I think he deserves a lot of props. Seems like a good guy and a smart coach. I think JAB recruits those long lanky forwards for a reason. They could work up top but it's hard to say. Let's see how it works vs the Lakers.

The NBA also has all but abandoned offensive rebounds for better or for worse. Not like college where there are still teams that live on hustle and boards. But I agree — interesting thought when you have a guy with ok size (don’t think it could work with girard) like buddy who you feel you might need to hide.

Not sure what everyone's thoughts are on Spoelstra as a coach but I think he deserves a lot of props. Seems like a good guy and a smart coach. I think JAB recruits those long lanky forwards for a reason. They could work up top but it's hard to say. Let's see how it works vs the Lakers.

I agree that he's underrated. I was reading an ESPN article about the Miami Way last night. Very interesting article - they run a professional, "boot camp" and conditioning kind of program. It's not for everyone, but they've made 6 Finals and won 3 titles with different groups of players. That takes something special.

The Bulls haven't won any titles in my lifetime without Michael Jordan, for instance. Miami has built championship quality teams with very different rosters over the years.

Their “guards” are the same size as our forwards. It can work on that level but not ours unfortunately

Need 2 forwards who move like guards and 2 guards with the size of forwards.

That's kind of what our ideal lineup looks like - big guards and lanky agile forwards, almost interchangeable.

I said back in 2003 that Boeheim's innovations were using 3 forwards, a PG (who can also be a big guard) and a center. Instead of small ball, Boeheim played modern hoops with interchangeable parts.

His other innovation of course was bringing the wings up super high in the 2-3 to defend the 3 point line. Our zone at times looks like 4 out, 1 in, or other times like a 2-2-1 zone.

Boston runs a 5 out offense one of the best in the league, the zone works great against it because you can guard the 3 and play the passing lane. Boston kept trying to run its offense against it and kept turning the ball over.

Remember there is no one in the post in a 5 out offense so there is no need to have a big frontline. Rebounding is more about speed than size and it is why Russell Westbrook can average a triple double.

Once Boston got the ball in the middle, drove to shoot not to pass they were able to score pretty easily. 5 out offenses don't work well against zones, but Miami will get SWEPT if they run that against the Lakers who will use their size to destroy that defense.

5 out offenses have worked very well against the Lakers all year and I expect Miami to force the Lakers to play small to match up with their shooter and put AD on Bam.

Miami needs to hit 12+ 3s a games to have a chance.

Very few college run 5 out offenses and only Nova runs it well at high level.

Good observation, but you would never want to play your guards at the wing of the zone in college.

The corner 3 is arguably the most important shot in the NBA because its the shortest 3 point shot you can take. Most teams have their good shooters who aren't much of a threat to score in other ways camp out there to score some easy 3's when D helps off them, or to just stretch the D. What Miami is doing is putting their worst defenders on the wings to essentially guard that one shot, and not have to worry about much else.

In college all 3 point shots are the same distance so the corner 3 does not hold the importance that it does in the NBA and teams are no more or less likely to have a good shooter camp out in the corner than anyplace else. Thus that adjustment would make no sense in college.

Good observation, but you would never want to play your guards at the wing of the zone in college.

The corner 3 is arguably the most important shot in the NBA because its the shortest 3 point shot you can take. Most teams have their good shooters who aren't much of a threat to score in other ways camp out there to score some easy 3's when D helps off them, or to just stretch the D. What Miami is doing is putting their worst defenders on the wings to essentially guard that one shot, and not have to worry about much else.

In college all 3 point shots are the same distance so the corner 3 does not hold the importance that it does in the NBA and teams are no more or less likely to have a good shooter camp out in the corner than anyplace else. Thus that adjustment would make no sense in college.

Good response. I hadn't really thought of the corner 3 as that distinctly different in college and the pros.

It’s going to take a lawsuit from an injured courtside fan to get JB to reconsider this. Fortunately our centers don’t weigh more than the average old lady so the risk of a flying people’s elbow from Bourama is rather low.

Good response. I hadn't really thought of the corner 3 as that distinctly different in college and the pros.
Except it’s not. The corner three in college is a shorter shot. it’s not as drastic as the pros, but it’s still closer.

New-3-point-line-inline.png

Except it’s not. The corner three in college is a shorter shot. it’s not as drastic as the pros, but it’s still closer.

New-3-point-line-inline.png
Seems kinda ridiculous that they have to "bend" the 3 pt line in the first place. Just widen the courts so a 3 pointer is the same distance at all spots.

We had problems at times last year keeping the opponents guards out of the lane, wouldn't that problem be a whole lot worse with Q and Marek at the top of the zone?

We had problems at times last year keeping the opponents guards out of the lane, wouldn't that problem be a whole lot worse with Q and Marek at the top of the zone?
Not really. Q and Marek are longer and arguably quicker than the current backcourt.

Like the scheme but playing with smaller wing players is taking a chance. If you have guards 6'7" ish, its doable. Also, few teams have and play a true center, the 1-5 positions are mostly 2-4 players.

Miami has built championship quality teams with very different rosters over the years.
all they need is a supremely talented marquette product to make it all work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom