Interesting thing in the Jonny Flynn Grantland story | Syracusefan.com

Interesting thing in the Jonny Flynn Grantland story

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Was them talking about how he has a "rebellious streak" and won't always follow directions. That's one of the things I recall about him and Paul, always bugging Coach Boeheim to let them play man-to-man. They turned on the defense and bought in late in that season, and made a nice run to the Sweet 16, but I was not surprised to see that observation from it was either a coach or GM in that article. I think that is part of what has held him back, in addition to the hip injury.

I think I've posted this before, but Flynn was not considered to be very "coachable" while here. Ignored offensive and defensive sets.

He publicly talked about having to talk "boeheim" into playing man including a few live ESPN interviews. I never liked it so I know that had to cheese JB a bit.

I wonder how much Paul and his influence had on him? I loved Paul's heart and passion. Many undervalue what he brought for us every day. However, he was hard to coach.

The popcorn thing had to cheese JB off, the trips to WNY and wasn't there something that happened in Florida in the S16??

He publicly talked about having to talk "boeheim" into playing man including a few live ESPN interviews. I never liked it so I know that had to cheese JB a bit.

I wonder how much Paul and his influence had on him? I loved Paul's heart and passion. Many undervalue what he brought for us every day. However, he was hard to coach.

The popcorn thing had to cheese JB off, the trips to WNY and wasn't there something that happened in Florida in the S16??
I've learned a new phrase: "cheese ___ off". I like it. :)

he and paul were told they'd play man. why would u sign the two to play zone

I kinda thought Jonny didn't have the right mentality to be an NBA point guard. Not enough of a control freak. I remember he was asked why the team often started games slow, and he said something along the lines of how he didn't really know, that's just the way they play. In that kind of situation, you want to hear your point guard say something along the lines of how that frustrates him and he feels he needs to do a better job of getting the team in to better offensive sets early so that they get off to fast starts, you know?

I'm totally looking way too far in to things, but certain stuff like that just seemed weird. Great athlete, great talent, but maybe he just really wasn't hardwired mentally as a young player to handle certain things the way you'd hope.

Your pants are on fire, Igor. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

There's a reason our teams had double-digit losses for several consecutive years in that era.

When the de facto team leaders tune out the coaching staff, it's difficult to succeed. Yet there are still people who think that Flynn would have pushed us over the top in 2010.

I defer to your inside knowledge of the program.

I hope the internet goes down again wherever Igor is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom