Interviews with several coaches have taken place | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Interviews with several coaches have taken place

Good luck focusing your recruiting in areas where the sport is dying and over recruited. It's bad business not that I would expect you to understand as you were saying how difficult it would be to fire Shafer a couple weeks ago. Sure looks it.

the sport isn't dying in NJ or PA or OH, or MD and you know that.

Millhouse said:
a lot of our grunts can come from the northeast. qbs gotta come from somewhere else. no more of this cecil howard 15-47 passing for his whole senior year nonsense

That was a long time ago. There are good QB's every so often in the NE. That Zemiac kid going to Penn St from Rochester is a good example.

I wouldn't write off any region.

The meat of any roster across the US is kids within that day trip drive time radius (3-8?) For Syracuse the radius is NY, NJ, PA, New England, Ohio and MD. The roster is then supplemented with kids from wherever.

That’s not going to change ever and it’s not just at Syracuse, it’s every school. Even Boise State has 20 kids on their roster from Idaho – 24%.

Syracuse could very well get the top athletes from MD north by playing a wide open offense at home on turf and roadies in the south. They should, imo, focus on the states I mentioned above and then hit the ACC states hard. Syracuse should put just as much of an emphasis on the Southeast and ACC territory as anywhere else.

The east is loaded with Talent. Look at Temple. The entire roster is PA NJ and Maryland

That was a long time ago. There are good QB's every so often in the NE. That Zemiac kid going to Penn St from Rochester is a good example.

I wouldn't write off any region.
Exactly, and we were never on his radar. Unacceptable to have top end talent in our backyard and never even be in the conversation, at least.

The east is loaded with Talent. Look at Temple. The entire roster is PA NJ and Maryland
and temple's offense stinks. i don't think we could get by on defense alone here

not everyone we left behind in the big east.

we've seen a dramatic relative improvement
We aren't competing with them. We are competing with the P5 schools like Pitt, UVA, NC State, Rutgers, GA Tech, etc. While our budget may have increased (I don't know that it has, all I hear about Syverud is that he wants to lower the budget), you can rest assured that our peer schools have, at the very least, maintained their differential in the budget, if not grown theirs. Most of our peer schools have gone bowling when we have not. The money for those bowl games goes back into the athletic budget. So I fail to see how we could have closed the gap at all. If anything, I'd assume the gap has grown. I could be wrong I guess, but common sense tells me we're falling behind.

if you watched the TCU/Baylor game they get almost their whole squad from texas, there has to be some talent left down there playing at some lower level schools thats better than most of the leftovers in the NE
There used to be until Baylor, and TCU took them all. There is this misconception that TCU and Baylor are loaded with nothing but 4 and 5 star players. That is just not the case. Check out Baylors class rankings the last few 5-6 years. They are pretty close to ours. They just have a scheme that flat out works. Isn't Baylor using their 3rd string QB? Still putting up 40+ per game?
That's why this hire is so important. We can have talent like Baylor...hell, according to Scowt and Revals we already do. With the right scheme, and right coach, we can get similar results.

The meat of any roster across the US is kids within that day trip drive time radius (3-8?) For Syracuse the radius is NY, NJ, PA, New England, Ohio and MD. The roster is then supplemented with kids from wherever.

That’s not going to change ever and it’s not just at Syracuse, it’s every school. Even Boise State has 20 kids on their roster from Idaho – 24%.

Syracuse could very well get the top athletes from MD north by playing a wide open offense at home on turf and roadies in the south. They should, imo, focus on the states I mentioned above and then hit the ACC states hard. Syracuse should put just as much of an emphasis on the Southeast and ACC territory as anywhere else.

70% of the roster should be from the the 5 hr radius, Florida kids at DB and WR, recruit nationally for QB's.

I always have said get good talent from wherever you can. The problem, however, is more and more kids commit really early. Which means if they want to visit a campus and commit, they usually are doing it on their own dime. A lot of kids can't afford to fly to Cuse on their own dime. We need enough legit and interested prospects who can jump in a car and drive up to campus (or get a ride with a teammate/coach/friend). That's why I think Shafer and staff did a pretty damn good job getting as many kids from further away as they did.

Except Frost is a hot commodity at 40 years old and Warner was never a candidate at all. There is probably a reason someone coaches for almost 35 years and is never considered head coaching material. Like I said, he went 30 years before becoming a co-coordinator. On the flip side, there is probably a good reason a 40 year old (which is probably young to get consideration for a head coaching job) is on a lot of team's radar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Snyder

Okay then explain what you were implying.

To repeat myself: I think Warner is a Frost without all the hype who has a connection to this school and thus might actually want to be here long enough to make a success of it and who knows the recruiting territory, (which is important as we found out in the G-Rob era).

Frost may make a fine coach for somebody but I see no guarantee of that and I'm not sure he's the best fit for us. And it bothers me that he might rather have another job. It makes me wonder how committed he'll be to this one.

To repeat myself: I think Warner is a Frost without all the hype who has a connection to this school and thus might actually want to be here long enough to make a success of it and who knows the recruiting territory, (which is important as we found out in the G-Rob era).

Frost may make a fine coach for somebody but I see no guarantee of that and I'm not sure he's the best fit for us. And it bothers me that he might rather have another job. It makes me wonder how committed he'll be to this one.
He'll be committed if they're paying him $2M+. And he has incentive, even if he's as interested in another job as you think. If he doesn't do well, that ship has sailed. If he does, then we say 'Thank you', take his buyout, and hire someone to build on what he accomplished.

He was a coordinator at a Big Ten school for 10 years starting when he was 40. Warner became a CO-coordinator at 50. Big differences - and one example out of numerous hires.

If you are hired for a job at 40 or 50- what's the difference if you do it well?

Frost may make a fine coach for somebody but I see no guarantee of that

What guarantee do you have that Warner will be a fine coach?

warner has a first round QB. frost has a FCS transfer.

oregon has the 10th best passer rating. michigan state has the 36th.

if warner can find lightly regarded qbs like cook, great. but i think he just got lucky

Shortsighted. What P5 school I the NE runs an exciting offense? Maybe Ohio State?!

If we want studs from NJ (our closest fertile recruiting ground) we'd better be offering something unique. Oregon's offense in the dome would be a great start.

"You can go play meathead ball for Addazzio or play indoors for Frost"

Also - FL 2-3 rung kids start coming here again and who knows?
LOL on your choice of words. very true. Needs to be unique. I agree

I honestly don't care if Frost comes here, lights it up for a few years, and leaves. If we believe he's the best coach of the group, you hire him and worry about him leaving later. Having a couple good years and trying to build off it > being stuck with an average coach that doesn't elevate the program long-term.

I hate this idea of "get a coach even if he is looking for his next coaching gig, cause then Syracuse will just hire the next great coach to build off where the other left off."

Give me a break with this crap. How did you feel about Shafer after Dougy Marroney? It's hard enough hiring one really good coach, let alone 2 really good coaches in a row. I don't know why some of you people keep saying this garbage. Honestly

money3189 said:
LOL on your choice of words. very true. Needs to be unique. I agree

Yeah - just re-read that. Yikes on the wording. First post of the day pre-coffee.

What guarantee do you have that Warner will be a fine coach?

Nobody has any guarantee that anybody will be a good coach. I was countering the assumption that Frost will be be a good coach just because he with Oregon and is "hot".

Per Nunes, even Oregon fans weren't too sure he was a good coach earlier this season:
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/1...ott-frost-oregon-orange-offensive-coordinator

I wonder how many posters on this board would be among the "fans were very much ready to tell Frost how he could better coach the offense" ?

Here's the linked article from earlier in the season: http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/10/wednesday_morning_news_notes_l_29.html

He may turn out to be a great coach. If we get him, I certainly hope he does. But it's not obvious he- or anybody else- will be. Any of them will be a gamble.

Orijinal said:
I hate this idea of "get a coach even if he is looking for his next coaching gig, cause then Syracuse will just hire the next great coach to build off where the other left off." Give me a break with this crap. How did you feel about Shafer after Dougy Marroney? It's hard enough hiring one really good coach, let alone 2 really good coaches in a row. I don't know why some of you people keep saying this garbage. Honestly

Has to do with momentum and style of play. I'd take 4 years of high powered offense and bowl games over plodding along with a guy with moderate upside and a meathead philosophy.

And the way to avoid Marrone to Shafer is to hire a guy with the same or close offensive style.