Iowa? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Iowa?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my dad went to Iowa and they are my 2nd favorite team. This is the only time he won't be cheering for Syracuse and the only time I won't be cheering for Iowa. Anyway here is my Hawkeye preview.

PG Jordan Bohannon is their PG and really the heart and soul of the team. However, he just had hip surgery and has said he will take a redshirt next year if he's not fully healthy in time for the season. He averaged nearly 12 points and 4 assists last year while not being fully healthy most of the year. That would be a huge loss if he does end up redshirting, which appears likely at this point. Backup options are redshirt sophomore Conner McCaffery and true freshman Joe Toussaint from Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx. McCaffery played 19 minutes/game last year as a RS freshman, after coming off an injury. He's a solid floor general (102 assists 43 turnovers) but he stunk as a shooter (6-29 on 3's and 36% overall FG) He's supposed to be a better shooter than that, so we'll see this year.

SG. Isaiah Moss was supposed to be their returning senior, but decided to graduate transfer to Arkansas. He was a streaky shooter averaging 9.2 PPG in 24 minutes. The thinking is he wanted to go to a school where he could be "the man" and play more than 24 minutes. In his place, they are probably looking at redshirt freshman CJ Frederick. They are also in the running for Bakari Evelyn, a grad transfer from Valparaiso who scored 13 PPG as a sophomore, but then slumped to 9 PPG as a junior dealing with an ankle injury.

SF Joe Weiskamp. This is probably the highlight matchup of the game vs Elijah Hughes. Weiskamp averaged 11 PPG on 48% FG and 42% 3 point FG and I think will take a huge step up this year and lead the team in scoring. He is the all time leading Iowa high school scorer and tested NBA waters, but not seriously. He just wanted to go through some workouts but is coming back.

PG Tyler Cook left after his junior year for the NBA, so there could be one of three options at this position. 6-11 Jack Nunge is a redshirt sophomore. He played as a freshman, but redshirted last year rather than play limited minutes behind Cook. As a freshman, he averaged 5.7 PPG and 2.8 rebounds and scored 18 vs Ohio State and 16 vs Iowa State so he showed some potential. He's probably my favorite to start,but they have 2 other options. 6-8 Cordell Pemsl will be a redshirt JR. He took a medical redshirt last year and averaged 5.7 PPG and 4.5 as a sophomore the year before. They also have 6-9 Ryan Kreiner who can play PF or C and averaged 5.7 PPG and 3 rebs in 14 minutes. All three guys will play as McCaffery plays a deep bench, but I think Nunge starts and I think he is a promising player.

C Junior Luke Garza averaged 12 PPG and 6 rebounds as a sophomore last year and I think will be a bad matchup for us. I think Marek will be our best way to matchup here unless Sidibe shows up healthy or Ajak/Edwards comes ready to play out of the gate. Garza is a good inside and outside player. He made 21 3's last year, but I think he is one of the players where the longer distance will still be a factor. But we will have to watch him both inside and outside.

Iowa is a fun offensive team, but can be very streaky. They are an awful defensive team though. McCaffery mixes both man and zone, when they bother to play defense at all. They were better on that end last year but it's still not a strength and one of Fran's weaknesses as a coach imho.

If Bohannon does end up playing, I think this will be a very tough game to win, even in the Dome. That trio of Bohannon, Weiskamp and Garza would be solid. But things don't look promising for him to play at this point.

If that's the case, I think it will be a close matchup. Both teams would be working in a new starting PG with some experience last year (Carey vs McCaffery) As I mentioned, I think C will be a decided advantage for Iowa. But without Bohannon, I think we'll win a close matchup that could go either way.
Really liked Weiskamp and Garza when we watched them play in NYC.

I agree with MSOrange's assessment after seeing Iowa play several times last year. Garza scares me - he could score a lot but I think the zone could cause him issues since he can't use his man defense offensive moves.

Iowa's defense looks like they don't practice defense at all. Coach 'Fran's Red Face' just tells them to mix defenses up a few times each game and the players either stand near someone or in an area just hoping for missed shots. Usually Cuse does very well against teams that play defense very poorly.

I agree with MSOrange's assessment after seeing Iowa play several times last year. Garza scares me - he could score a lot but I think the zone could cause him issues since he can't use his man defense offensive moves.

Iowa's defense looks like they don't practice defense at all. Coach 'Fran's Red Face' just tells them to mix defenses up a few times each game and the players either stand near someone or in an area just hoping for missed shots. Usually Cuse does very well against teams that play defense very poorly.

I mean they might practice it, but they typically aren't very good! But that's probably part of just generally playing more up and down, and a bit more chaotic. It's fun to watch though. At this point, just seeing contracting styles, and teams that truly run, is pretty entertaining for me. I'm sure matching up against us is more painful for their fans...…..with our style.

Yesterday at a work function, they told us that Panera Bread would be providing a catered lunch for us. And there was a general reaction of "eh, that's not great, but not horrible, it will do I suppose and it could be worse."

That's how I feel about this Iowa matchup.
Home of the dry tasteless sandwich.

Oh, good - I was hoping to see Duke/Michigan St for the 100th flipping time in the last 5 years
Between the Challenge, the Champions Classic and the Tournament last year even their fans have to be getting sick of it now

I think we see this discussion every year, on nearly every forum. Theoretically, the matchups are based on the predicted order of finish for the upcoming season. 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc. Then come the tweaks. No team plays on the road for more than two consecutive years. Teams that might play each other during the regular season, either in a scheduled game or by participating in the same holiday tournament, are not paired. Finally, I imagine the last tweak concerns the television appeal of the contest. Since the pecking order in either conference doesn't change radically from year to year, the same teams are often matched. The bottom line, though, is if you want to play the more attractive opponent, make sure you're predicted to finish high in the conference's standings. And, be happy that no one thinks so little of you that you have to play Northwestern or Rutgers.

McCaffrey , their coach, can contribute some entertainment by himself. He is a pretty emotional guy with a penchant for outbursts and been thrown out of a number of games/suspended. Siena’s most successful coaches have been wild on the sidelines. Mike Deane and Fran McCaffrey come to mind. I think his son Patrick who redshirted has battled cancer too. Interesting that both McCaffrey and JB have sons on their teams playing pivotal roles.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my dad went to Iowa and they are my 2nd favorite team. This is the only time he won't be cheering for Syracuse and the only time I won't be cheering for Iowa. Anyway here is my Hawkeye preview.

PG Jordan Bohannon is their PG and really the heart and soul of the team. However, he just had hip surgery and has said he will take a redshirt next year if he's not fully healthy in time for the season. He averaged nearly 12 points and 4 assists last year while not being fully healthy most of the year. That would be a huge loss if he does end up redshirting, which appears likely at this point. Backup options are redshirt sophomore Conner McCaffery and true freshman Joe Toussaint from Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx. McCaffery played 19 minutes/game last year as a RS freshman, after coming off an injury. He's a solid floor general (102 assists 43 turnovers) but he stunk as a shooter (6-29 on 3's and 36% overall FG) He's supposed to be a better shooter than that, so we'll see this year.

SG. Isaiah Moss was supposed to be their returning senior, but decided to graduate transfer to Arkansas. He was a streaky shooter averaging 9.2 PPG in 24 minutes. The thinking is he wanted to go to a school where he could be "the man" and play more than 24 minutes. In his place, they are probably looking at redshirt freshman CJ Frederick. They are also in the running for Bakari Evelyn, a grad transfer from Valparaiso who scored 13 PPG as a sophomore, but then slumped to 9 PPG as a junior dealing with an ankle injury.

SF Joe Weiskamp. This is probably the highlight matchup of the game vs Elijah Hughes. Weiskamp averaged 11 PPG on 48% FG and 42% 3 point FG and I think will take a huge step up this year and lead the team in scoring. He is the all time leading Iowa high school scorer and tested NBA waters, but not seriously. He just wanted to go through some workouts but is coming back.

PG Tyler Cook left after his junior year for the NBA, so there could be one of three options at this position. 6-11 Jack Nunge is a redshirt sophomore. He played as a freshman, but redshirted last year rather than play limited minutes behind Cook. As a freshman, he averaged 5.7 PPG and 2.8 rebounds and scored 18 vs Ohio State and 16 vs Iowa State so he showed some potential. He's probably my favorite to start,but they have 2 other options. 6-8 Cordell Pemsl will be a redshirt JR. He took a medical redshirt last year and averaged 5.7 PPG and 4.5 as a sophomore the year before. They also have 6-9 Ryan Kreiner who can play PF or C and averaged 5.7 PPG and 3 rebs in 14 minutes. All three guys will play as McCaffery plays a deep bench, but I think Nunge starts and I think he is a promising player.

C Junior Luka Garza averaged 12 PPG and 6 rebounds as a sophomore last year and I think will be a bad matchup for us. I think Marek will be our best way to matchup here unless Sidibe shows up healthy or Ajak/Edwards comes ready to play out of the gate. Garza is a good inside and outside player. He made 21 3's last year, but I think he is one of the players where the longer distance will still be a factor. But we will have to watch him both inside and outside.

Iowa is a fun offensive team, but can be very streaky. They are an awful defensive team though. McCaffery mixes both man and zone, when they bother to play defense at all. They were better on that end last year but it's still not a strength and one of Fran's weaknesses as a coach imho.

If Bohannon does end up playing, I think this will be a very tough game to win, even in the Dome. That trio of Bohannon, Weiskamp and Garza would be solid. But things don't look promising for him to play at this point.

If that's the case, I think it will be a close matchup. Both teams would be working in a new starting PG with some experience last year (Carey vs McCaffery) As I mentioned, I think C will be a decided advantage for Iowa. But without Bohannon, I think we'll win a close matchup that could go either way.

Update on the Valpo transfer I mentioned in my post.

Hawkeyes land Valparaiso graduate transfer Bakari Evelyn

Yup just shows we are lower than Nc St and Ville in the pecking order. All self inflicted we get one of those matchups if we don’t suspend Frank for bogus crap no other major program would.
Didn't he fail 3 times. How about Frank knowingly breaking the rules is what caused Frank to be suspended. Like the BYU kid a few years ago with premarital sex. Knew the schools rules. Violated them anyway. He was literally suspended for something no other school would have suspended him for.
Stop blaming everyone but Frank, who had the sole responsibility.

C Junior Luka Garza averaged 12 PPG and 6 rebounds as a sophomore last year and I think will be a bad matchup for us. I think Marek will be our best way to matchup here unless Sidibe shows up healthy or Ajak/Edwards comes ready to play out of the gate. Garza is a good inside and outside player. He made 21 3's last year, but I think he is one of the players where the longer distance will still be a factor. But we will have to watch him both inside and outside.

Ryan Kriener getting coached up by Griff...

Oh the Being and Moaning was in reference to Frankiefan. I am 100% in agreement with you in regards to Panera. My office gets it for literally every major offsite/project meeting we have.

Chick Fila should be a requirement at these meetings.
I gotta say I like Chik fil a when at the restaurant but don't like it catered. Everytime I've had it, it was soggy from sitting in the containers during delivery. That's nothing against Chik fil a. I think it's probably just hard to keep breaded chicken from getting soggy.

not here to say we'll be worldbeaters in Nov - but Iowa really is losing a whole bunch in Bohannon, Cook, and Moss. Garza and Weiskamp will score alot but we'll have to play really poorly to lose that game

not here to say we'll be worldbeaters in Nov - but Iowa really is losing a whole bunch in Bohannon, Cook, and Moss. Garza and Weiskamp will score alot but we'll have to play really poorly to lose that game

Yeah when I first posted I hadnt realized that Cook stayed in the draft, that Bohannon might RS and that Moss is transferring. That is a lot for them to give up, and I am not sure they have much coming in to replace it. Fran's boy isnt very good, he has another coming in that is supposed to be much better though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom