IPF Update | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

IPF Update

Found this buried in a comment section on one of the articles OE posted.

Ron says:
February 19, 2014 at 12:53 am
Terry;

I told everyone earlier when things were happening with the new IPF that I would let you all know what was happening,when it was happening.

Well Terry, the new steel beams/girders are starting to arrive and is being stacked up over at the Skytop parking lot. I expect to see more getting delivered over the next few days. I was told and expected this to happen back in November,but what the hell it’s better late than never. Also there was more heavy equipment delivered to the same site.

If Malone was correct in telling us that the city needs to be involved building a better drainage system on site then I expect construction to start as soon as the weather breaks. Things are looking promising fella’s.

I apologize to everyone for talking Syracuse football during the basketball season,but you know how it goes.

Malone says:
February 19, 2014 at 7:27 am
Ron, great update. I expect the ground work and infrastructure to last all of March at least, but major steel work taking April. I think they will work linear and apply the cladding once the steel is far enough ahead. By mid May, it will look like a building, leaving June and July to address the interior stuff and exterior details. Facility will be up and running by mid August. I believe that is exactly what I said in December. The drainage issues I heard about put it back probably 2 weeks if I had to guess. Lets not forget that in high offices, the city and the University are not partners or really friends.

Ron says:
February 19, 2014 at 8:49 am
@Malone;

I know about the unlikely friendship between the city and university. It really heated up during Mayor Lee Alexanders tenure.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie(money) that Syracuse generates ever year and Syracuse ends up having to fight to keep what’s rightfully theirs. That’s why I just can’t see Syracuse going off campus to play their football/basketball and lacrosse games in a stadium downtown and losing contol over the games it has now. I just don’t see it happening. I just can’t see them sharing the money with the county or the city.

Malone says:
February 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Ron, I don’t think the problem is new or all that out of the ordinary (the old turf used to get pretty water logged in my day). It is not so much a problem except that the solution needs lots of moving parts to come together (this is where the city comes in) and warmer temperatures. earth work, foundation work, concrete work require warmer temps and a more controlled environment (water and temp.) This is where some of the earlier delays I have mentioned here have projected out and caused a bigger problem. If they were resolved sooner, it is likley the site work would have been done in the fall. Now we are waiting for winter to end.

But weren't we told that this wasn't happening? People were certain that the school had changed its mind.

I just hope this thing is very nice (upper end of the IPFs out there) and a selling point once it's finished. I'd hate for this thing to be just ok once they do get it up.

Seriously, where did you find this information? Besides the exciting news about finally having some progress on building the IPF, it certainly casts serious doubt on any plans for an off-campus stadium. I think the Dome is going to be around for quite a while yet.

Seriously, where did you find this information? Besides the exciting news about finally having some progress on building the IPF, it certainly casts serious doubt on any plans for an off-campus stadium. I think the Dome is going to be around for quite a while yet.

It explains the dynamic with City Hall, doesn't explain why the University was seeking to have it happen and they were okay with the idea of being a tenant.

It explains the dynamic with City Hall, doesn't explain why the University was seeking to have it happen and they were okay with the idea of being a tenant.

That was Nancy's legacy--sounds like the new Chancellor is putting forth his own agenda--which maybe doesn't include closer ties with the city. Nancy's Connective Corridor sounds like it may evolve into Syverud's Disconnect the Corridor. Why else would he have politely told Miner to go to hell when she asked for SU representatives on her commission of omission?

GoSU96 said:
But weren't we told that this wasn't happening? People were certain that the school had changed its mind.

I remember 1 person saying it wasn't happening.

Ron says:
Terry;

I told everyone earlier when things were happening with the new IPF that I would let you all know what was happening,when it was happening.

Well Terry, the new steel beams/girders are starting to arrive and is being stacked up over at the Skytop parking lot. I expect to see more getting delivered over the next few days. I was told and expected this to happen back in November,but what the hell it’s better late than never. Also there was more heavy equipment delivered to the same site.

If Malone was correct in telling us that the city needs to be involved building a better drainage system on site then I expect construction to start as soon as the weather breaks. Things are looking promising fella’s.

I apologize to everyone for talking Syracuse football during the basketball season,but you know how it goes.

Malone says:
Ron, great update. I expect the ground work and infrastructure to last all of March at least, but major steel work taking April. I think they will work linear and apply the cladding once the steel is far enough ahead. By mid May, it will look like a building, leaving June and July to address the interior stuff and exterior details. Facility will be up and running by mid August. I believe that is exactly what I said in December. The drainage issues I heard about put it back probably 2 weeks if I had to guess. Lets not forget that in high offices, the city and the University are not partners or really friends.

Ron says:
@Malone;

I know about the unlikely friendship between the city and university. It really heated up during Mayor Lee Alexanders tenure.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie(money) that Syracuse generates ever year and Syracuse ends up having to fight to keep what’s rightfully theirs. That’s why I just can’t see Syracuse going off campus to play their football/basketball and lacrosse games in a stadium downtown and losing contol over the games it has now. I just don’t see it happening. I just can’t see them sharing the money with the county or the city.

Malone says:
Ron, I don’t think the problem is new or all that out of the ordinary (the old turf used to get pretty water logged in my day). It is not so much a problem except that the solution needs lots of moving parts to come together (this is where the city comes in) and warmer temperatures. earth work, foundation work, concrete work require warmer temps and a more controlled environment (water and temp.) This is where some of the earlier delays I have mentioned here have projected out and caused a bigger problem. If they were resolved sooner, it is likley the site work would have been done in the fall. Now we are waiting for winter to end.

OT: 'Lee Alexander'. That is a serious blast from the past.

After being snubbed by SU by refusing to appoint a rep. to the "commission" just hope that Miner doesn't pull a payback with this drainage issue. All work must be done to city engineers specs, and a city hookup permit is required. She can easily hold up permits, require more studies etc...

Ron says:
Terry;

Malone says:

Ron says:
@Malone;

Malone says:

Who knew? I am sure they wanted it done sooner than it will but once winter set in and foundations weren't in, just decided to wait instead of throwing money at it. Like I said, big cost consideration for doing, foundations and Slab on Grade in January

IthacaBarrel said:
Who knew? I am sure they wanted it done sooner than it will but once winter set in and foundations weren't in, just decided to wait instead of throwing money at it. Like I said, big cost consideration for doing, foundations and Slab on Grade in January

Even if winter hadn't set in, it wasn't getting done sooner.

Just to start a conspiracy, maybe Syverud declined Minor's commission invite because she was holding up permits.

Even if winter hadn't set in, it wasn't getting done sooner.

Bees, you keep alluding to this timing (I have no insight into any of this). Is what you are alluding to chalked up to normal delays in construction or is there something else?

Bees, you keep alluding to this timing (I have no insight into any of this). Is what you are alluding to chalked up to normal delays in construction or is there something else?

At the end of the day, does it really matter?

As long as it gets done, and gets done within the next year or two, who cares?

Not trying to pick on you - just saying in general.

MikeSU02 said:

Wouldn't call it normal, but it can happen. There have been a few bumps in the road having nothing to do with weather. Remember, it's been delayed now for almost a year. Hopefully the final hurdle has been cleared or will be real soon so that it does in fact go full steam ahead when the weather breaks.

Wouldn't call it normal, but it can happen. There have been a few bumps in the road having nothing to do with weather. Remember, it's been delayed now for almost a year. Hopefully the final hurdle has been cleared or will be real soon so that it does in fact go full steam ahead when the weather breaks.

Do you happen to know what the final hurdle is/was? Is so, are you at liberty to share that factoid with us mere mortals? ;-)

At the end of the day, does it really matter?

As long as it gets done, and gets done within the next year or two, who cares?

Not trying to pick on you - just saying in general.

It matters to me for this reason only: if it is something native to only SU, then I have larger concerns of confidence with the Ath Dept. If it is normal (within reason) project delays that permeate projects regardless of organization, then I'd be more comfortable. So I guess my concern isn't about this getting done necessarily, it's fixing any problems moving forward so other endeavors can be done better.

I think it's time to move on from this already. I said in 1 post in the other thread that I had heard it wasn't happening. I also said the information was a few months old, and I realize now that I misinterpreted the information. My bad, I am just happy the project is going to get done.

I think it's time to move on from this already. I said in 1 post in the other thread that I had heard it wasn't happening. I also said the information was a few months old, and I realize now that I misinterpreted the information. My bad, I am just happy the project is going to get done.
Considering all the information you bring to the board, a mishap is more than allowed. Second the notion to let it go.

Guys, I'm parking in Manley South everyday. When I see activity, I'll let you know.

Guys, I'm parking in Manley South everyday. When I see activity, I'll let you know.
But what about Manley North? East? West? Southwest? West-Southwest?

Hold on, I need to talk to Zeno about whether this is getting us anywhere.

I went up to Skytop yesterday to verify that the information I posted was surely #hardnosed #sleuth. The steel and machines were there. I tried to get into the football wing, yet it was after 5. It looks like the added to it in the last renovation ( they blew out the walls on the interior away from the glass). The foyer of the football wing looked legit. Well.... through the rain soaked me soaked glass.
RainyDay.jpg

Pictures or it didn't happen you say...?
Resize_0220141702-00_01.jpg

Now, if someone can help me with #cheesecakefactory #linestolong #nocheesecake:(

Last edited:
I went up to Skytop yesterday to verify that the information I posted was surely #hardnosed. The steel and machines were there. I tried to get into the football wing, yet it was after 5. It looks like the added to it in the last renovation ( they blew out the walls on the interior away from the glass). The foyer of the football wing looked legit. Well... through the rain soaked me soaked glass.

View attachment 8225

Now, if someone can help me with #cheesecakefactory #linestolong #nocheesecake:(

Ate at Cheesecake Factory last night. Waited 97 minutes to be seated. Was well freaking worth it. Had a few drinks at the bar with the wife while we waited. They said it usually takes 3 months before things settle down to normalcy when they open a new Cheesecake Factory. I was talking to the manager.

I went up to Skytop yesterday to verify that the information I posted was surely #hardnosed #sleuth. The steel and machines were there. I tried to get into the football wing, yet it was after 5. It looks like the added to it in the last renovation ( they blew out the walls on the interior away from the glass). The foyer of the football wing looked legit. Well... through the rain soaked me soaked glass.

View attachment 8225

Maybe you need to make friends with the Cooper family...

Bg9ZwgnIAAEJdXt.jpg:large

1). Thank you for the update. Really appreciate the work this board does to keep us all informed and verifying what the facts are.

2). What the heck? You were there, why didn't you get started putting up some steel? We have photo evidence the steel is there, the machines are there and you still had daylight. Please explain! (Sarcasm off)

Thanks, again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom