Is .500 in serious jeopardy? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Is .500 in serious jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if we don't finish 0.500 or slightly over. Boeheim is a "high floor" coach. I think there is just enough skill on this team to avoid a losing record, but I also think that we will eventually see a losing record before we see a new coach. You can only flirt with 18-13 for so long before you end up with a 14-17 thrown in there...

No coach on Earth got more out of DC than Boeheim.

Of course, DC would be the epitome of one-and-done today.

Along with John Wallace. Big John isn't bringing us to any final four b/c he's leaving after Sophomore year (or whenever probation struck).

I'll be stunned if we finish over .500. We just can't guard or deal with athleticism/size. It's only going to get worse this year.

Based on the schedule and some toss up games, I think we can max out at 14 wins with some luck.

I'll be stunned if we finish over .500. We just can't guard or deal with athleticism/size. It's only going to get worse this year.

Based on the schedule and some toss up games, I think we can max out at 14 wins with some lu
I wouldn't say stunned. As TNIAAM points out recently this team is real close to being 10-4. I'll one up Troy and say this team should be 11-3 because, well...Colgate? So there is skill on this team. But I just don't watch the games with any confidence. We don't have anybody that I have any confidence with the ball in their hands to make a play when needed. I believe I've ranted before that this is a team with 4 PF's, 2 SG, a non-scoring PG and a developing C that is keeping us in games. Shame on JB and the whole coaching staff for this roster. But it is one thing to saddle yourself with this roster, it is another thing to double down on it make it even shorter. Slow and less athletic is bad. But when you add tired to it also no wonder we are losing winnable games late.
I really don't want JB's legacy to end with "Yeah he was great until the end of his career. When he had his son's on the team..." Buddy and Jimmy could be valuable parts of a great team. They cannot be the team. They need help.

The game has changed. It happens. I'm not saying Jim is Bob Knight but he's closer to that model than to the recent model of coaching which is damn the torpedos and go with the 5 star guy and hope they are ready to roll. Even a guy like Calipari is struggling now because those 5 stars sometimes don't work out and sometimes don't want to be dogged at.
Jay Wright's model is perfect in the current system. He doesn't go after the top 10 kids and instead builds a team with overlooked dudes.

Jay Wright's model is perfect in the current system. He doesn't go after the top 10 kids and instead builds a team with overlooked dudes.
You give Jay too little credit on his recruiting. Since 2018 Nova has brought in 4 5* and 9 4* recruits. SU has brought in 9 4* (Guerrier, Carey, Goodine, Richmond, Williams, Swider, Torrence, Bunch, Taylor). Nova has also had 4 top 25 classes in the past 5 years (9, 5 ,22 ,14). SU has not.

I wouldn't say stunned. As TNIAAM points out recently this team is real close to being 10-4. I'll one up Troy and say this team should be 11-3 because, well...Colgate? So there is skill on this team. But I just don't watch the games with any confidence. We don't have anybody that I have any confidence with the ball in their hands to make a play when needed. I believe I've ranted before that this is a team with 4 PF's, 2 SG, a non-scoring PG and a developing C that is keeping us in games. Shame on JB and the whole coaching staff for this roster. But it is one thing to saddle yourself with this roster, it is another thing to double down on it make it even shorter. Slow and less athletic is bad. But when you add tired to it also no wonder we are losing winnable games late.
I really don't want JB's legacy to end with "Yeah he was great until the end of his career. When he had his son's on the team..." Buddy and Jimmy could be valuable parts of a great team. They cannot be the team. They need help.
Great post.

I've just read through this thread and have a few observations.

- Even Sal Maneen, (who hung up on me a couple seasons back for suggesting that the winning season streak might be in jeopardy would have to agree that it's an issue this time.

- I don't think looking at the schedule and deciding who we can beat is the right approach. We just lost to Miami by a point and then they beat #2 Duke by two points. We can beat anybody remaining on our schedule and we can lose to any of them. The issue is: can we beat enough of them? The wins could come anywhere. We need 9 more of them in 16 games to guarantee the streak against any post-season results. That's going to be tough.

- Many times over the years I've heard people say that the NCAA tournament "is all that counts. But in this thread, our NCAA runs have be described as 'band aids' that perpetually optimistic fans put on mediocre seasons. Can we all admit that we'd like to feel good about our team for four months before we find out what happens in March?

- Somebody said that the issue with this team "involves Boeheim's own sons". Buddy and Jimmy are our two most consistent and versatile players. they are not the problem.

- The biggest problem is that our traditionally tough zone defense isn't there. Our late season improvements and post-season runs have been because of our defense. Having four shooters surrounding a young pair of centers isn't the formula to turn this around.

- What could turn things around is the further development of the centers, Benny Williams and Symir Torrance. They could improve the defense and give the offense some more dimensions. But it better start happening soon.

Last edited:

- Even Sal Maneen, (who hung up on me a couple seasons back for suggesting that the winning season streak might be in jeopardy would have to agree that it's an issue this time.

- I don't think looking at the schedule and deciding who we can beat is the right approach. We just lost to Miami by a point and then they beat #2 Duke by two points. We can beat anybody remaining on our schedule and we can lose to any of them. The issue is: can we beat enough of them? The wins could come anywhere. We need 9 more of them in 16 games to guarantee the streak against any post-season results. That's going to be tough.

- Many times over the years I've heard people say that the NCAA tournament "is all that counts. But in this thread, our NCAA runs have be described as 'band aids' that perpetually optimistic fans put on mediocre seasons. Can we all admit that we'd like to feel good about our team for four months before we find out what happens in March?

- Somebody said that the issue with this team "involves Boeheim's own sons". Buddy and Joe are our two most consistent and versatile players. they are not the problem.

- The biggest problem is that our traditionally tough zone defense isn't there. Our late season improvements and post-season runs have been because of our defense. Having four shooters surrounding a young pair of centers isn't the formula to turn this around.

- What could turn things around is the further development of the centers, Benny Williams and Symir Torrance. They could improve the defense and give the offense some more dimensions. But it better start happening soon.
Bullets 4 and 5 seem to be diametrically opposed. And I’m confident you meant Jimmy and not Joe.

We won’t make it now. Have lost 3 games against pretty mediocre to bad teams. The question now is do we finish last in the ACC?

- Somebody said that the issue with this team "involves Boeheim's own sons". Buddy and Joe are our two most consistent and versatile players. they are not the problem.

I mean, I guess you have to pick someone as our most “consistent and versatile players” - but everyone is a problem. Jessie is the only one who consistently plays fairly well (sans the foul trouble).

We won’t make it now. Have lost 3 games against pretty mediocre to bad teams. The question now is do we finish last in the ACC?

We aren’t finishing last. We aren’t great, but we lost our last 3 games by a combined 9 points.

When we win close games a lot of people call that luck. The same can be said for losing close games. Some of it is bad luck.

We are about a 500 team. I think we will need to win 2 in the ACC tournament or 2 in the NIT to have a winning season.

I wouldn’t call Miami mediocre. They are 13-3 and the only undefeated team in the ACC at 5-0 with their win last night over Duke. WF isn’t bad either at 13-3.

We are about a 500 team. I think we will need to win 2 in the ACC tournament or 2 in the NIT to have a winning season.
Best case scenario is they are 1 game over .500 end of year and a Covid outbreak makes them skip ACC tournament and any other ones.

Bullets 4 and 5 seem to be diametrically opposed. And I’m confident you meant Jimmy and not Joe.

Thanks. I did mean Jimy and have fixed it.

If you are going to pull a couple of shooters to fix the defense I don't think you'd pull either of the Boeheims.

The whole conference is mediocre. That’s the issue. If we were ever going to win in the ACC now would be it.

Yeah, we’d pretty much just have to hold serve vs the rest of the ACC dreck, and beat Duke at least once.

Which, with almost any other Cuse squad talent level of the past 20 years, wouldn’t be too much of an ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom