Is being as good as Oregon State too much to ask? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is being as good as Oregon State too much to ask?

Much of my wife's family lives in Oregon. They're all Oregon State grads, and her uncle has been a season ticket holder for 25+ years.

Since Mike Riley took over for Dennis Erickson in 2003 they're 69-49, with 6 bowl appearances, 3 top 25 finishes, and 7 appearances in the top 25 at some point in the season.

Oregon State is an agricultural school (no joke, my cousins-in-law are farmers) located in the middle of nowhere. The state has a population about the same as Connecticut, and produces a small amount of top-tier FBS recruits. OSU's athletics program is entirely overshadowed by a much more well-funded, and larger fanbased program at UO.

And yet somehow this school has managed to win 28 more games than SU in the past 9 1/2 years and is currently the #8 team in the country.

I'm a pretty reasonable fan, I don't expect to see SU win a national title, ever. I don't expect us to be a perennial top 15 team, ever. But I do expect more than the raging dumpster fire that this program has been for 10 years and counting.

If someone can explain to me why we shouldn't expect to at least be as good as Oregon Freakin' State, I'm all ears.

I'm sure I'll be told that all we have to do is limit turnovers.

:bang:

A state school that has been a pretty prosperous conference.

A state school that has been a pretty prosperous conference.

A state school that is out-supported, financially and fanbase-wise, at least 10-to-1 by it's in-state big brother. And the Pac-10 wasn't the cash-making monster it is today back in the early 2000s.

Use selective stats much?

Those seasons were pre-dated by 9-4, 9-4 and 10-4 from the same coach.

It's a lot easier to stay the course with a guy who has already proven he can win 9-10 games, eh?

sounds like with Erickson's recruits also. Now that he has his he took a downfall but is coming back nicely for the first 6 games,give it a few weeks though

sounds like with Erickson's recruits also. Now that he has his he took a downfall but is coming back nicely for the first 6 games,give it a few weeks though
erickson won with riley's recruits

riley left to coach the chargers for a couple years and and came back. what is it about going to the chargers that makes peopl ehave do overs (deleone)

A state school that is out-supported, financially and fanbase-wise, at least 10-to-1 by it's in-state big brother. And the Pac-10 wasn't the cash-making monster it is today back in the early 2000s.

And doesn't Oregon State have one of the smaller stadiums in D1? I never got the feeling that was a facilities hotbed kind of school.

If being a state school and being in an attractive conference guarantees success then there are a lot of schools that have some explaining to do. For example, one that we lost to this year that I don't believe has won a game since. They should be a perennial power by that logic, no matter who is coaching.

So address my question then. How could Marrone be such a genius as to get that hapless bunch of players to a bowl win? But then why have we been losing ever since?
Cosmic conjunction.

The BE conference was experiencing a horrible horrible year for offense. Defense was our strength, and Derrell Smith was our leader. He forced guys into line.

On offense, we had Delone and just enough line play to grind out those close grudge matches.

Great year, but we absolutely stole it.

Cosmic conjunction.

The BE conference was experiencing a horrible horrible year for offense. Defense was our strength, and Derrell Smith was our leader. He forced guys into line.

On offense, we had Delone and just enough line play to grind out those close grudge matches.

i don't think a good defense and a good running back are cosmic

i don't think a good defense and a good running back are cosmic

I don't think the Big East experiencing a horrible year for offense is cosmic either. Unless cosmic now means ordinary.

Cosmic conjunction.

Yeah, I'm with Millhouse. "Cosmic" was us beating West Virginia last year, that one is still totally unexplainable.

In 2010 we had several impact players on defense and an excellent running back. Also 2 of our top 3 receivers that year are starting right now.

An odd amount of talent for one of the worst programs in D-1, right?

Yeah, I'm with Millhouse. "Cosmic" was us beating West Virginia last year, that one is still totally unexplainable.

In 2010 we had several impact players on defense and an excellent running back. Also 2 of our top 3 receivers that year are starting right now.

An odd amount of talent for one of the worst programs in D-1, right?
In the right places and at the right time. Things went our way that year. It's not a predictive year, and I don't draw any conclusions about it. It was an outlier.

In the right places and at the right time. Things went our way that year. It's not a predictive year, and I don't draw any conclusions about it. It was an outlier.

I agree completely that it was an outlier. This is why I'm not nearly as optimistic about our future as some of you seem to be.

Before doing any research my initial thought on their improvement was they get B list California kids, who are still pretty good, and coach them up. Here's their 2012 roster.

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/orst-m-footbl-mtt.html

I counted 43 players from California on this roster. Much like Baylor and the state of Texas discussed in another thread, I think there is so much CA talent that a program like Oregon St. can find enough diamonds in the rough to make it work.

OSU is what Oregon use to be about 10-12 years ago. They take JUCO kids, California Kids, a few Samoans, possibly a few tx athletes like the Rodgers brother and they take quite a few kids with questionable character, not judging just stating what I believe to be accurate. Now, they take the duck leftovers in the NW as well. Oregon U is not referred to the University of California at Oregon for nothing.

Riley also has a solid staff with minimal turnover for the most part, which is great. Look at their OC.. not a ton of experience there when he was hired, mentored by Riley and has been there almost 10 years. Of course we are years 2-3 with Hack and people are screaming about his playcalling!!! we need a real OC. I watch a ton of Pac 12 football, Riley has lost to two a 1AA teams over the years, they have played some bad games, lots of them. People here would be questioning his accumen much like Marrone's. Sure he has had success but the past 2-3 years Syracuse fans would be screaming for him to replace coordinators, become a CEO!!! Etc, Etc.

Anyone watch the Sun Bowl a few years ago versus Pitt, OSU scored 3 points and lost. I can only imagine how fans here would have taken that, fire the OC, Riley stinks!! Like I said, I get it but that is what you get with a long tenured coach. I have watched OSU quite a bit over the past few years

Before doing any research my initial thought on their improvement was they get B list California kids, who are still pretty good, and coach them up. Here's their 2012 roster.

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/orst-m-footbl-mtt.html

I counted 43 players from California on this roster. Much like Baylor and the state of Texas discussed in another thread, I think there is so much CA talent that a program like Oregon St. can find enough diamonds in the rough to make it work.

But it is all relative. Oregon St is getting B list Cali kids and has to beat A list Cali kids at USC and Oregon plus beat B list Cali kids at Washington, Zona, ASU, UCLA, Stanford, and Cal. Baylor is getting B list Texas kids but has to beat out A list kids at Texas, OU, Okie St as well as B listers at Tech and A&M (before)/TCU(now). SU doesn't have to play a squad in the BE with A listers. Only a bunch of teams with B listers. Yes Oregon St having B list Cali kids will have a better chance at being a legit Top 15 squad than SU having B list Northeast kids. But Oregon St isn't our peer. We should actually have an easier time being ranked (see RU this year) because we do not have as difficult a schedule.

I agree completely that it was an outlier. This is why I'm not nearly as optimistic about our future as some of you seem to be.
Ouch.

To heck with Oregon State, why can't we be Boise State? They have a blue field but we have a Dome! '-' Steve

Just saw a Rivals article that said Oregon State flies a plane over the West Coast on Friday Nights and Saturdays to "visit" recruits/stadiums during their games and the plane has an "OREGON STATE" or "GO BEAVS!" banner behind it. that's pretty awesome.

Much of my wife's family lives in Oregon. They're all Oregon State grads, and her uncle has been a season ticket holder for 25+ years.

Since Mike Riley took over for Dennis Erickson in 2003 they're 69-49, with 6 bowl appearances, 3 top 25 finishes, and 7 appearances in the top 25 at some point in the season.

Oregon State is an agricultural school (no joke, my cousins-in-law are farmers) located in the middle of nowhere. The state has a population about the same as Connecticut, and produces a small amount of top-tier FBS recruits. OSU's athletics program is entirely overshadowed by a much more well-funded, and larger fanbased program at UO.

And yet somehow this school has managed to win 28 more games than SU in the past 9 1/2 years and is currently the #8 team in the country.

I'm a pretty reasonable fan, I don't expect to see SU win a national title, ever. I don't expect us to be a perennial top 15 team, ever. But I do expect more than the raging dumpster fire that this program has been for 10 years and counting.

If someone can explain to me why we shouldn't expect to at least be as good as Oregon Freakin' State, I'm all ears.

I'm sure I'll be told that all we have to do is limit turnovers.

:bang:

But the real question is how many great character men does that program produce? I mean, we could take some bad seeds from time to time, but then we wouldn't be able to run around and brag about how incredible a school we graduated from two decades ago.

I agree with those who say the 7-5 season two years ago was smoke and mirrors. The D was pretty good and that carried us, but that season we were the underdog and won a lot of ugly games ( at WVu, rutgers, at USF all come to mind. Even the Kansas st game victory came from a gift from the refs. Granted wins are wins ugly or not. My biggest frustration has been that the New Orleans Saints offensive juggernaut coach has not been able to recruit and/or develop real difference makers that allow us to score more than 14 points a game. He was in particular an offensive line guy and let the quality of linemen and running backs have steadily decreased. To paraphrase JB you are only as good as the players you have. The talent across the board just isn't there, hence we don't have ppl competing for starting spots and benched for other players when they turn the ball over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom