Is it allowed as a Syracuse fan to say JB is awesome but our offensive system sucks? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is it allowed as a Syracuse fan to say JB is awesome but our offensive system sucks?

Just waiting for Townie.

Why would I want to get involved in this old, tiresome exchange fending off the same old group of armchair non-experts mouthing the same old nonsense? (And congratulating one another on their brilliance in spotting the problem set)

These complaints ought to be numbered so the usual suspects wouldn’t have to expend the energy typing them out.

A few victories shuts the critics up, but not for long. They are waiting in the wings to bitch about the zone after a game in which the opposition is hitting threes from way outside. Or to suggest that JB has somehow “lost it”.

If you don’t like JB, the Zone, the ISO offense, the recruiting strategy, or the recruits than what is it that makes you an SU fan? The fact that your uncle took you to a game when you were 10?

Why would I want to get involved in this old, tiresome exchange fending off the same old group of armchair non-experts mouthing the same old nonsense? (And congratulating one another on their brilliance in spotting the problem set)

These complaints ought to be numbered so the usual suspects wouldn’t have to expend the energy typing them out.

A few victories shuts the critics up, but not for long. They are waiting in the wings to bitch about the zone after a game in which the opposition is hitting threes from way outside. Or to suggest that JB has somehow “lost it”.

If you don’t like JB, the Zone, the ISO offense, the recruiting strategy, or the recruits than what is it that makes you an SU fan? The fact that your uncle took you to a game when you were 10?
Notice how you pivot to points not even referred to. This thread has nothing to do with JB, the Zone or recruiting strategy.
It’s about the offense. Which is a PROBLEM. My god stop turning this into those other things. If I had a problem with those things I would say it.
We can talk about legitimate problems on a fan board and respect JB. Our halfcourt offense has been bad since 2013. The fact we haven’t changed from ISO to something is a legitimate criticism. JB himself agrees with the criticism of the half court offense but we don’t change it.
We are still going to be good this year.
We are still going to be top 25 IMO.
That does mean we can discuss the problems and not hate JB.

Last edited:

I’m not going to start regurgitating tired takes after the third game of the year when we’re not at full strength.

That being said,

I’m not going to start regurgitating tired takes after the third game of the year when we’re not at full strength.

That being said,

Honest question as I think you are tell it the way you see it. If something hasn’t changed and is a problem is that a regurgitated take or are you in nothing is going to change so why care mode. As you know Frank Howard isn’t going to turn us into a good halfcourt offensive team.

He will make us better because we will have more depth and JB may Press more and get turnovers and transition opportunities no doubt but he isn’t going to run sets in the halfcourt. Just watch him last year or his entire career.

Honest question as I think you are tell it the way you see it. If something hasn’t changed and is a problem is that a regurgitated take or are you in nothing is going to change so why care mode. As you know Frank Howard isn’t going to turn us into a good halfcourt offensive team.

He will make us better because we will have more depth and JB may Press more and get turnovers and transition opportunities no doubt but he isn’t going to run sets in the halfcourt. Just watch him last year or his entire career.

Honestly I’m too angry about last night, not so much that they lost but in how they lost to really think about this.

Like, we played into every f@cking stereotype that the most mouthbreatherish Uconn fan has about us.

We shot 26 for 66 (39.4%)
We shot 6 for 22 (27.3%) from 3 point range.
The Offense was the bigger problem.
You can’t expect to win a game shooting those percentages.

You also can’t expect to win when you allow 83 points and give up nearly 60 percent from 3. I said it was an offensive and defensive problem. This program prides itself on defense. Go check and see how many times we’ve won allowing 83 points.

Press more???

God, I hope not. Did you see what happen last night on our first and only use of the press?

And UConn had 20+ turnovers without SU pressing.

But I agree with your sensible assessment of Frank and the limited impact he will have. Frank is a good player and an asset, but not a great or impact player.

This team will take time to gel.

You also can’t expect to win when you allow 83 points and give up nearly 60 percent from 3. I said it was an offensive and defensive problem. This program prides itself on defense. Go check and see how many times we’ve won allowing 83 points.
UConn had 70 points with 2:45 left.
The last 13 points were because they hit a 3 and we fouled to extend the game.
If our offense was better we wouldn’t have fouled and extended the game.
Our defense wasn’t great but JB is a defensive genius and that will be elite this year.
Our problem yesterday was we shot under 40% overall and 26% from 3pt you won’t win games with those percentages as well.
The O is a bigger concern than the D.

UConn had 70 points with 2:45 left.
The last 13 points were because they hit a 3 and we fouled to extend the game.
If our offense was better we wouldn’t have fouled and extended the game.
Our defense wasn’t great but JB is a defensive genius and that will be elite this year.
Our problem yesterday was we shot under 40% overall and 26% from 3pt you won’t win games with those percentages as well.
The O is a bigger concern than the D.

I said this in another thread, but a lot of you are panicking for no reason.

Brissett isn't playing this bad all year.

The defense will get better.

Frank will come back.

Somehow our 3 point percentage will go up.

I'm not nearly as worried as most people.

Frank will come back.

I am not worried about the D at all.
It was a fluke. I know JB’s D works it’s proven. That is why we will win enough games to safely make the tournament and I think we will be a top 25 team this year.
I am talking about being an actual threat to win it all. This offense isn’t going to win 6 games in March.
I think that is what last night told me we aren’t a national threat like the preseason hype. I accept this. I am just ticked our halfcourt O hasn’t changed.

It was a fluke. I know JB’s D works it’s proven. That is why we will win enough games to safely make the tournament and I think we will be a top 25 team this year.
I am talking about being an actual threat to win it all. This offense isn’t going to win 6 games in March.
I think that is what last night told me we aren’t a national threat like the preseason hype. I accept this. I am just ticked our halfcourt O hasn’t changed.

I disagree. They'll figure out the offense. It only needs to be a bit better than average with how good our D will be.

Frank will come back.

Definitely some truths here. I’m worried about getting easy baskets. Not an embellishment to say we don’t get easy baskets the past few years and probably take the toughest contested shots of any ‘name’ program. The coaches seem okay with this.

Frank will help. No doubt. But, after Carey’s struggles very early on, he WAS trying to run the ‘offense.’ It’s not like he’s disobeying the coach. He’s passing the ball to the guys he should pass to. This no PG excuse is a bit bunk. Do the players who are all back not know the plays? Does Jalen not know who to pass to? The answer to these questions is of course no to both. But, the players are expected to make plays. Our guys were smothered, rejected at the rim, and took a lot of bad shots. Often after no movement. One of the few true plays/sets run was a nice out of bounds play to Brissett for a three. There’s just no off ball movement, off ball screening, just the same old players looping around to initiate another ball stopping ISO play. Frank will help but this WAS the worst offense in the P5 last year. This year we just gotta hope it gets to ‘average’ level and it will take a considerable improvement to get it there, IMO. At this point I think it is more scheme than players honestly. UConn committed 20 turnovers last night yet it didn’t really feel we were ever in it.

Last edited:

The half court O isn’t changing. This is JB’s system. He doesn’t change to suit the players.

Definitely some truths here. I’m worried about getting easy baskets. Not an embellishment to say we don’t get easy baskets the past few years and probably take the toughest contested shots of any ‘name’ program. The coaches seem okay with this.

Frank will help. No doubt. But, after Carey’s struggles very early on, he WAS trying to run the ‘offense.’ It’s not like he’s disobeying the coach. He’s passing the ball to the guys he should pass to. This no PG excuse is a bit bunk. Do the players who are all back not know the plays? Does Jalen not know who to pass to? The answer to these questions is off course no to both. But, the players are expected to make plays. Our guys were smothered, rejected at the rim, and took a lot of bad shots. Often after no movement. One of the few true plays/sets run was a nice out of bounds play to Brissett for a three. There’s just no off ball movement, off ball screening, just the same old players looping around to initiate another ball stopping ISO play. Frank will help but this WAS the worst offense in the P5 last year. This year we just gotta hope it gets to ‘average’ level and it will take a considerable improvement to get it there, IMO. At this point I think it is more scheme than players honestly. UConn committed 20 turnovers last night yet it didn’t really feel we were ever in it.

It was a 4 point game with 4 minutes to go. If that's not in it what is.

UConn also destroyed us on the glass and shot 57 percent from 3 poitn range. That's not going to happen much.

It was a 4 point game with 4 minutes to go. If that's not in it what is.

UConn also destroyed us on the glass and shot 57 percent from 3 poitn range. That's not going to happen much.

It’s playing catch-up the whole game without ANY juice/swag. Yes, I didn’t feel like we were in it, truly.

Rebounding was a problem yes. If you’re going to let those guys step into threes then you better pick it up and score on the other end.

The half court O isn’t changing. This is JB’s system. He doesn’t change to suit the players.
You aren’t saying this but basically it comes off like you are saying if crappy halfcourt offense is inevitable just sit back and enjoy it.

You aren’t saying this but basically it comes off like you are saying if crappy halfcourt offense is inevitable just sit back and enjoy it.

We have some good players. Extremely/very talented ones? No. The offense will look pretty good against an EWU or Colgate who don’t have the athletes to deal. On a level playing field like yesterday with collectively better guards that UConn has; you see the offense really struggle with the ISO stuff. Thee isn’t enough Plan Bs and much schematically devised to help the players out, IMO. It’s going to be a struggle to be efficient and get easy baskets all season.

Feel like everything just works smoother on O with Marek in the game at the 4 or the 5. He just makes the right play and never forces anything. I hated watching him sit on the bench for the 1st 12 minutes or whatever it was last night. Also think Hughes thinks he's an Alpha and took some selfish shots towards the end that were early in the shot clock and dumb.

I’m a lot more inclined to accept bad shooting as a “fluke” The an I am poor D or rebounding. I mean, what tf WAS that?
Wait are you saying the poor shooting is more of a fluke than our D being poor?
Our D was a fluke last night. That was about as bad as our D will play this year or we are a bubble team. Our D is going to be elite. Our shooting hasn’t been a “fluke”. It was this way last year.

There will a number of times, we know, that the offense will gel and shots will fall. But my fear this year was that the offense would struggle again with essentially the same lineup and scheme.

We’ll see if that continues.

Wait are you saying the poor shooting is more of a fluke than our D being poor?
Our D was a fluke last night. That was about as bad as our D will play this year or we are a bubble team. Our D is going to be elite. Our shooting hasn’t been a “fluke”. It was this way last year.

I’m not sure how the team collectively playing poor defense is a “fluke.”

Bottom Line our players were put in a position to win the game and failed. Our two best players didn't show up and nobody gave effort on the glass. Our freshman guard not only lead the team in points but rebounds also. Our team shot 27% from 3 and under 40% from the field. That is on our players not the coach. We should have won that game going away if anyone gave any effort besides Carey. That isn't being "outcoahed" (hot take) That doesn't have anything to do with our defense. That doesn't have anything to do with our offense. That was our best players decided not to give effort or make a shot.

I’m not sure how the team collectively playing poor defense is a “fluke.”
So teams don’t have nights where they are more energetic?
On this one you are IMO completely wrong. Poor defense can happen in individual games and you can still be an elite defense.
Our guys can play poor defensively in single games and the D is still elite. That would be a fluke in what I am saying.
Teams shooting 57% from 3 against our D is a fluke IMO. It won’t happen often.
I really don’t get your point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom