Is it crazy to think we can win the ACC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is it crazy to think we can win the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would be the worst Power 6 team to ever win, but I don’t think it’s nuts. The conference is awful this year. Obviously we need to win and win a lot down the stretch, but we have been playing a lot better as of late. Maybe?
We gotta win 2 of the next 3 games against good competition to start making some real noise and get us in a better position to vie for a tourney bid. That’s what I’m focused on. We can be competitive in all three of our next games and hopefully win two. Guys need to come out playing with confidence.

Last edited:
Suggesting that having depth to win the acc tourney is a good thing is def the exact same as having us go 7-0 on the road.

by the way, we lost to Miami, so you were wrong
Yes indeed you are 100% correct that I was wrong in stating this team would run table for the remaining road games but the record prediction is still on target.

Agree depth is important regardless but I believe the OP was referring to the regular season and you conflated the topic by alluding to the ACCT.

You mean sitting at 6-3 and 2 games behind Clemson with half the season to play we aren't mathematically eliminated? This team is going to win this league, much to the chagrin of the Boeheim has no clue crowd.
I love your bonkers optimism. I do think the team looks better than they did early in the season, which is what you’d expect from a fairly young team.

Last edited:
You mean sitting at 6-3 and 2 games behind Clemson with half the season to play we aren't mathematically eliminated? This team is going to win this league, much to the chagrin of the Boeheim has no clue crowd.
All 6 conf wins are against the bottom 5 teams in the conf.

I love your bonkers optimism. Hell, why not? I do think the team looks much better than they did early in the season, which is what you’d expect from a fairly young team.
They look like a team that is putting it together. The loss at Miami was hard to swallow but when it was a 1 day turn around to take a long flight to play a very good team who just lost an overtime heart breaker on the road, that it seemed like a hard W to get. I think they will take another step up Tuesday.

All 6 conf wins are against the bottom 5 teams in the conf.
I know, but the term mathematically is like when there are 3 or 4 games left. There are a lot of players on this team to like, a plethora.

I don't know if it is crazy, but it is certainly premature.

On the other hand, let's inject some optimism. After almost every win, you can find threads looking for negativity. This guy didn't play well, that guy should be playing 100 minutes a game, JB's glasses were fogged, whatever. It isn't just the fan thing of "whatever the outcome, the fan always knows the cause." It's "whatever the outcome, I can find something that sucked."

So sure, let's put on our Orange-colored glasses, let's look at the POTENTIAL upside. We have had some years in the past where we have struggled early but got all the trains running on time later in the season. This could be one of those years. We are certainly not the same band of youngsters that lost the bad games early.

We are very, very young. We start two frosh and a soph. The next three guys off the bench are often two frosh and a soph. But those kids are growing before our eyes. In the end, the growth might have happened too late, but they are doing it and we might as well try and be hopeful.

We are doing things we have not done in a long time. JB is going deep into the bench, he is trying tons of combinations, we are pressing. Almost every one of the guys are capable of a double-figure night, and the ones who are not going to go for 10+ are capable of giving us a solid game in another couple of areas. Coach has a lot of chess pieces to move, and he is trying all the combinations. You might quibble with the fine points but on a high-level basis, it is a breath of fresh air.

It's paying off. You can see the growth. You can see the potential that JB saw when he touted the team and freshmen during the pre-season.

I truly don't think we can win the ACC, but stranger things have happened. I do think that if we can somehow work our way into the tournament that, come March, we will have matured even more. At that point, we may be in the enviable position of being a team that nobody wants to face in their bracket.

I don't know if it is crazy, but it is certainly premature.

On the other hand, let's inject some optimism. After almost every win, you can find threads looking for negativity. This guy didn't play well, that guy should be playing 100 minutes a game, JB's glasses were fogged, whatever. It isn't just the fan thing of "whatever the outcome, the fan always knows the cause." It's "whatever the outcome, I can find something that sucked."

So sure, let's put on our Orange-colored glasses, let's look at the POTENTIAL upside. We have had some years in the past where we have struggled early but got all the trains running on time later in the season. This could be one of those years. We are certainly not the same band of youngsters that lost the bad games early.

We are very, very young. We start two frosh and a soph. The next three guys off the bench are often two frosh and a soph. But those kids are growing before our eyes. In the end, the growth might have happened too late, but they are doing it and we might as well try and be hopeful.

We are doing things we have not done in a long time. JB is going deep into the bench, he is trying tons of combinations, we are pressing. Almost every one of the guys are capable of a double-figure night, and the ones who are not going to go for 10+ are capable of giving us a solid game in another couple of areas. Coach has a lot of chess pieces to move, and he is trying all the combinations. You might quibble with the fine points but on a high-level basis, it is a breath of fresh air.

It's paying off. You can see the growth. You can see the potential that JB saw when he touted the team and freshmen during the pre-season.

I truly don't think we can win the ACC, but stranger things have happened. I do think that if we can somehow work our way into the tournament that, come March, we will have matured even more. At that point, we may be in the enviable position of being a team that nobody wants to face in their bracket.
Dick, there is no team in the ACC that looks great, I don'think any of them look better than the Orange. Hold serve at home, get even with PITT at ther house and beat the weak teams. That's the recipe. Clemson's the ACC bell cow in BASKETBALL? No way.

I know, but the term mathematically is like when there are 3 or 4 games left. There are a lot of players on this team to like, a plethora.
People were discussing possibilities/probabilities……I was making the point that from a mathematical standpoint it is ‘possible’’. However considering all things up to this point in the season it is rather unlikely they win the conf (even with the conf being weak).

From where things looked, especially during that Illinois game I can’t believe it’s even not that far fetched of a thought.

I don’t get why all the negativity, I guess it’s easier to be negative but with how much better the team is playing and the makeup compared to past years I can’t help but be excited.

Tuesday is a massive opportunity and measuring stick game. UNC has underwhelmed compared to preseason expectations but is a veteran team that as of now is relatively comfortably in the tourney discussion. Have to protect home court.

Mathematically the Pirates have a chance next season.

From where things looked, especially during that Illinois game I can’t believe it’s even not that far fetched of a thought.

I don’t get why all the negativity, I guess it’s easier to be negative but with how much better the team is playing and the makeup compared to past years I can’t help but be excited.

Tuesday is a massive opportunity and measuring stick game. UNC has underwhelmed compared to preseason expectations but is a veteran team that as of now is relatively comfortably in the tourney discussion. Have to protect home court.
Good post, and OptimusOtto is a solid handle.

We would be the worst Power 6 team to ever win, but I don’t think it’s nuts. The conference is awful this year. Obviously we need to win and win a lot down the stretch, but we have been playing a lot better as of late. Maybe?
It’s nuts.

Remember this post if you complain about what happens over the next two weeks as well.

Won’t complain. Obviously won’t be easy. But no team in this league is scary, including Virginia. Not expecting to win, but wouldn’t be shocked if our boys pull it off.

3 of our first 9 ACC games, were against team that are in the tournament "as of now" per bracket matrix. And we were 0-3 in those games.

8 of our next 11 games will be against teams that are in "as of now" (or first 4 out).

The positive is we have a chance to still prove ourself and can at least plausibly believe we are headed in the right direction.

The negative of course is our 6-3 ACC record doesn't mean too much given the SOS.

1g5u5w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors