Is it next season yet? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is it next season yet?

This team is a nice assemblage of athletes, but one that features about 1 1/2 impressive basketball players.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There's a ton of season left, and they have shown flashes of being really good. I'm not giving up on them and I don't think anyone else should too. But it's your right to do what you want...

pearl31 said:
I hear ya, and I love me a feel-good undermanned/scrappy SU team (as in when Ogeanat was playing and T.Rob with 2 bum knees) but this team is just coasting... and playing really stupidly... and a bunch of head cases...

Yeesh. Did the thing about 8 scholarship players not sink in? Personally I was VERY pleased at Chino's play. Based on previous games I thought he'd be terrible. But he stepped up when Roc was out.

Why are so many of you, like Henny & Coke, so positive about next year's team? Can we count on freshme making an immediate impact? Can we count on DaJuan? Do we know Bryant is coming? We are losing our number one option and bringing back the underwhelming sophs. G and TC are what they are, with their plusses and minuses.

So explain why we are going to be much better next year?

My only concern is the center spot.

I don't agree that Cooney and Gbinije are what they are. Both are clearly improved from last year. I'd expect more improvement next year. Having 2 5th year seniors among your best players is a good thing.

And I think Roberson and Joseph can both make big jumps next year. I'm very confident that Roberson will do that.

So 4 starters back, plus a top recruiting class coming in. The Center spot is the big question make though. How much Coleman plays and how well he plays will be the wild card.

And I forgot about McCullough. If he's back, we're loaded.

Rak is the missing link we've lacked on a number of good to great SU teams.

If we had him during some of those years, we'd have a few more national titles.

That's why I'm sceptical about next year. No Roc and no post option, unless we get Bryant...and would we be able to get big production from a freshman?

Rak is the missing link we've lacked on a number of good to great SU teams.

If we had him during some of those years, we'd have a few more national titles.

Perhaps if we passed him the ball last year, things might've turned out different......

I know he's improved and all, but find it hard to believe he couldn't have scored more than 5-6 ppg last year, and now he's 18 ppg.

He could've given us 10 last year.

iommi said:
That's why I'm sceptical about next year. No Roc and no post option, unless we get Bryant...and would we be able to get big production from a freshman?

Diagne may surprise us.

Diagne may surprise us.

I've seen Diagne play a couple times in person. I think he's going to great but I'm not sure if he will be an impact freshman. Impact frosh big men are a rare breed. I think Diagne will be a stud for us in time.

Why are so many of you, like Henny & Coke, so positive about next year's team? Can we count on freshman making an immediate impact? Can we count on DaJuan? do we know Bryant is coming? We are losing our number one option and bringing back the underwhelming sophs. G and TC are what they are, with their plusses and minuses.

So explain why we are going to be much better next year?

Well, start with returning 2 pretty important pieces/players in Gbinije & Cooney - players who provide this team with decent outside shooting, which is a skill that usually takes a player 1-2 seasons of regular playing time to become consistent with.

And Gbinije especially, to me, has me excited to see what his game can be like as a 23 year-old 5th year Senior - a 6-7 guy who can dribble, shoot, rebound, drive, score, assist...he can do it all, and right now we are seeing him really start to put it all together (ACC play he is averaging 12.6ppg, 7.2rpg, 3.6apg and shooting 416% FG & a sizzling 611% from 3pt! Since this is 1st season he is playing at this high level, he'll be prone to inconsistent play...but that should be what improves next year for him.

Cooney in ACC play so far is averaging 16.2ppg and 2.4spg. Sure, his shooting percentages are not where they could be, and he is also struggling to be consistent in his game...but he has made improvements in this area from last season, where he would have a long streak of really bad games in ACC play. This year he has seemingly limited those stretches of poor play. Again, next season he should be even more consistent, given that he will also be a 23 year-old 5th year Senior.

Players that I will be looking to turn their potential into production next season include Tyler Roberson, Chris McCullough, and Kaleb Joseph. The two forwards ooze talent - Roberson is already rebounding at a pretty high level (averaging 10.6rpg in ACC play!), but IMO his main problem is that his nerves are holding him back, even in his 2nd season. I guess you could attribute it to this being his 1st season in which he's getting real playing time...but I feel like next year, his 3rd in the program, he will have built more comfort with his role, his playing time and with JB...and this will allow Roberson to really play to his high potential. In fact, I'm hoping he is able to continue improving this season too, but not holding my breath that the improvement will be great enough this year.

McCullough will be coming off a major injury, but the guy is talented. Big time talented, as evidenced by his early season play. In his first 8 games this year he scored in double figures in all of them, and also had 3 double-doubles!! That's pretty remarkable. Yes, he hit a major slump shortly thereafter...but there may not be a more talented returning forward in the entire country next year.

And Kaleb Joseph...I have to admit that his play so far this season has been disappointing to me...and yet, his averages of 6.7ppg and 4.8 apg (in ACC play Kaleb is averaging 3.8apg vs only 1.0tpg) at least provide something we can work with. And, since I do subscribe to the theory that PGs improve a lot from 1st to 2nd year, I think that Kaleb will prove to be a much better floor general next year, even if he still isn't taking games over with his scoring. But, we may not need that from him, considering we will have Cooney, G, McCullough, Roberson, and even Richardson that should be able to fill the points column next year.

So right there, you have 5 players that I feel are at least "good"...and all have the potential to be "very good", with another year of experience & growth.

Then, if DaJuan comes back at close to 100%...well, I know I may be in the minority here in thinking that DaJuan is/was close to being a pretty good player for Syracuse...at the very least I feel he is a high level rebounder & does have a knack for scoring around the hoop. Again, DaJuan will be a 23 year old 4th year Junior.

Add in a recruiting class that JB has said is one of the best he's ever had...one that includes a possible "immediate star-type" player in Richardson...a guy with good size who can really shoot the ball & by all accounts has a knack for scoring...

And really, any contributions that guys like BJ, Buss, Chino can add to this already very solid core (these players will all be in their 3rd year in the system)...and any contributions that the other recruits like Diange, Lydon, Howard can make...these things are all a bonus, IMO. Good/great if they happen, but not even really necessary, IMO.

Then, the impact that all these older, experienced guys with multiple years in the system will have on the zone...we may be looking at a season similar to 2012-13, where experienced guys like Triche, Southerland, Keita, Fair, MCW really started to master the zone defense, leading us to a Final Four birth...I can see a similar type of thing happen for next year's team.

And finally, even something like the level of competition at practices next year...due to fact that there will be 13 legit players available to practice with, as opposed to the 8 scholarship players we currently have...

I think it all adds up to the potential for a very special season next year.

Pearl is one of the more positive posters here... I'm fine with his moment of frustration on this team.

My attempt at a positive spin is that the expected ACC record of a bubble team right now (with the same schedule) would be 5-1. So we stay on track, and just hope we can slide a few surprises in there in the back half.

Just imagine if we'd had a semblance of this inside scoring presence on the 2013 final four squad.
I thought we did...?

Obviously not like this, but didn't he flash some greatness a few times that year late??

Id never figure you for a skeptic. Never.

I've been editing my natural scepticism much better this year. I guess overcoming a personal challenge helps bring some perspective. That said, we need to find a post presence next year. A back-to-the-basket scorer. Maybe Diagne could be that guy. Maybe TB, if he wears Orange and Silver.

Same complaints and crap every year. You'd be surprised SU is good enough to have won half the games in the past decade after a day of comments from this board.

Listen sporto, you're the pathetic marroner crying for his baba.

We look forward to the next 30 win season when you can 'pump sunshine' for us, because we will all be so distraught after the 3 or 4 losses that year, how could we ever continue on without those posts.
you're kind of a dumb@ss, aren't you?

I absolutely love that "Marroning" is becoming a thing. Its funny as hell. That guys sucks.

Next year will be great-

1. Senior leadership from Cooney and G.
2. Probably the best sophomore in the country in CMac
3. Outstanding freshman class (Boeheim thinks one of his best, I agree)
4. Sophomore jump expected from KJ2
5. Hopefully a healthy DC2
6. Improvement from Roberson, BJ, and Buss. Chino transfers.

You have to be mentally handicapped to think next years team isn't final four or bust.

I'm pretty much done with this year's team. Probably the most frustrating and unenjoyable Syracuse team I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of watching.
Oh Lord

This post would have made more sense after Clemson, which was just a horrific loss. Tonight they did what they had to do and if not for the free throw shooting this game's a laugher throughout despite Christmas' foul trouble, which was BS. Nos. 3 and 4 were really, really late calls that were seemingly made just to stick it to Rak for showing the refs up. Otherwise we had good balance, we worked our advantage in the paint as we should have, limited the number of 3s we took, Gbinije was assertive (which is always welcome). I came out of this game more hopeful. If Gbinije understands what kind of talent he has and puts this team on his back, we're going to the tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom