Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die? | Syracusefan.com

Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die?

Should SU retire clapping until the first basket at the start of each half?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 74 44.0%
  • No, tradition is more important

Votes: 94 56.0%

• Total voters
Don't we have some folks from Otto's Army on here? Its their school and they're really the ones that should come up with something that is fun and gets them pumped up

Like orangezoo said half hearted middle aged folks with God awful rhythm is pretty sad

Last edited:
I would amend it to first bucket OR first defensive stop.

It actually hurts the energy when it goes on too long. Makes slow starts a worse experience.

Get a big turnover, block a shot, snag a board and the crowd goes nuts, that works. Win the tip right away, get a nice bucket, crowd goes nuts, that works.

Tell me I'm wrong that this wouldn't be better.

You can't.

YOU CAN'T

It actually hurts the energy when it goes on too long. Makes slow starts a worse experience.

Get a big turnover, block a shot, snag a board and the crowd goes nuts, that works. Win the tip right away, get a nice bucket, crowd goes nuts, that works.

You can't.

YOU CAN'T

Let's just eliminate the slow starts with an uptempo offense and pressure defense, so that fans don't have to stand so long.

M'kay?

No. It maps to the large attendance we have. It makes sense when you have 20k+ in the Dome and from the jump everyone is on their feet and clapping.

You can add new traditions without stomping on the old ones.
Meh, I was a student and season ticket holder in the ‘90s and it was just as bad. The longer it goes, the tighter our players get. The clapping in the first half cost us a game against Seton Hall in 97 or 98.

It’s lame and it doesn’t give us an advantage. It’s not even original. We stole it from another school, just like the chop. It should be retired along with the alma mater after football games.

No, but it would be nice if the enthusiasm for it from half the crowd or so could be ramped up somehow.

10,000+ doing the old person groan (whether they’re actually old or not) as they begrudgingly stand up, barely clap, and sit down as fast as possible as soon as we score is just classic CNY.

No, but it would be nice if the enthusiasm for it from half the crowd or so could be ramped up somehow.

10,000+ doing the old person groan (whether they’re actually old or not) as they begrudgingly stand up, barely clap, and sit down as fast as possible as soon as we score is just classic CNY.

And a sign that our program has been down, lacked energy, etc.

The standing and clapping won't be a problem when people are excited again, and enthusiastic when the game starts.

I dont know what it was called but we did this chopping motion in beat with the band when kicking off and I dug it
You’re showing your age! That was done along with the band playing the Saltine Warrior war chant!

No. It maps to the large attendance we have. It makes sense when you have 20k+ in the Dome and from the jump everyone is on their feet and clapping.

You can add new traditions without stomping on the old ones.
I kinda agree with this if, like orangextreme said, they would tie it in with something that ppl could clap along too. I dont "hate" the tradition, but seriously sounds like 10,000 2 year olds clapping to their own beat

You can't.

YOU CAN'T
Actually, I was thinking about this last night when I thought the TBT announcer mistakenly said we clap until The Nerd Team scored.

it might be fun under Coach Red for the clapping to go until the opponent’s first FG. I suspect the longer they have a drought the louder it may get and it really does add a different element.

I want it to stay but would not oppose this change. It could help emphasize our new lockdown strategy.

SUOrange44

Yep, only happens in cny. All other fan bases jump up and down like the Cameron crazies.

If it was done properly, I think it should continue. But it is done at half effort like it is an obligation, so I vote to discontinue it.
I think that's because the team has been meh. Hard to get into traditions when you feel you're going to leave disappointed. Especially in big games.

They talk about the clapping on ESPN every game, anything that becomes a “thing” for a school should be kept.

As for the half hearted comments. If the team gets better, so will the clapping.

edit: for a group that has a lot of folks clamoring for the old rivalries to come back, I would hope this tradition poll falls the way of “keep it.”

Yep, only happens in cny. All other fan bases jump up and down like the Cameron crazies.
I’m not comparing us to all those other scrubs, I’m comparing us to past Syracuse crowds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom