Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die?

Should SU retire clapping until the first basket at the start of each half?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 74 44.0%
  • No, tradition is more important

Votes: 94 56.0%

• Total voters
Let's just eliminate the slow starts with an uptempo offense and pressure defense, so that fans don't have to stand so long.

M'kay?
Sure.

Meh, I was a student and season ticket holder in the ‘90s and it was just as bad. The longer it goes, the tighter our players get. The clapping in the first half cost us a game against Seton Hall in 97 or 98.

It’s lame and it doesn’t give us an advantage. It’s not even original. We stole it from another school, just like the chop. It should be retired along with the alma mater after football games.

Somehow I feel this take is a consequence of your hatred of the Lakers. Not sure how yet, but that’s my theory.

Kidding. Kidding.

I wish they did it opposite (and others have stated this on here), keep standing and clapping and making noise until the opponent scores then sit down.

When they score the first basket I think more people are interested in getting to sit down instead of cheering the basket and then making noise for the next defensive possession. Its like a sense of relief instead of making it uncomfortable for the opponent. Its backwards and doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I kinda agree with this if, like orangextreme said, they would tie it in with something that ppl could clap along too. I dont "hate" the tradition, but seriously sounds like 10,000 2 year olds clapping to their own beat

Do you know how intimidating 10,000 two year olds clapping would be!?!?

I mean in fairness, the last decade we were held at will based off the performances of some of our teams.

I’m not comparing us to all those other scrubs, I’m comparing us to past Syracuse crowds.
In my view, our home advantage in big games has always been 30,000+ fans being loud AF. And that doesn’t really manifest itself with the clapping. It happens with organic reactions to game play.

My dad came up for a game when I was a student. He raved about the crowd. Not because of the clapping at the start of each half. Because he almost went deaf every time we made a run.

In my view, our home advantage in big games has always been 30,000+ fans being loud AF. And that doesn’t really manifest itself with the clapping. It happens with organic reactions to game play.

My dad came up for a game when I was a student. He raved about the crowd. Not because of the clapping at the start of each half. Because he almost went deaf every time we made a run.
Agreed, though hopefully there’s a way to get the crowd more into it right from the beginning.

I think more and more it’s become a “we’ll get loud in the last 10 minutes if the game is close” thing.

You’re showing your age! That was done along with the band playing the Saltine Warrior war chant!
Haha.

I guess that may be where it started, but in the late 90s when there was NO Saltine Warrior to be found it was still a tradition and the band still did it. I miss it. Did a great job of getting the crowd amped.

I dont know what it was called but we did this chopping motion in beat with the band when kicking off and I dug it
Yeah, it always seemed to me like a lazy attempt to do was FSU already had.

One of my favorite things is when SU fans have a large presence in an opposing arena (e.g. Georgetown) and we stand and clap there. It's obnoxiously wonderful.
Should we keep it just for away games?

Meh, I was a student and season ticket holder in the ‘90s and it was just as bad. The longer it goes, the tighter our players get. The clapping in the first half cost us a game against Seton Hall in 97 or 98.

It’s lame and it doesn’t give us an advantage. It’s not even original. We stole it from another school, just like the chop. It should be retired along with the alma mater after football games.
Wait, what?!

IMHO, we have few traditions. We should be looking to create more, not throw away the ones that are still around...
THIS^^^^ I find us one of the more boring fan bases. Otto's Army has really stepped up the past 2 years, especially for football. We need to grow our traditions.
Funny story...Around 2010 I proposed that athletics use "44" for more branding opportunities. Chris Gedney took it to Dr. Gross and it was discussed and they decided it was too much a football only thing to use it. Oh guess what??? They use it now. Could I have other suggestions? Would I bother to share them?

Actually, I was thinking about this last night when I thought the TBT announcer mistakenly said we clap until The Nerd Team scored.

it might be fun under Coach Red for the clapping to go until the opponent’s first FG. I suspect the longer they have a drought the louder it may get and it really does add a different element.

I want it to stay but would not oppose this change. It could help emphasize our new lockdown strategy.

SUOrange44
This is a really good idea. And only clap when the other side has the ball.

One of my favorite things is when SU fans have a large presence in an opposing arena (e.g. Georgetown) and we stand and clap there. It's obnoxiously wonderful.
Was just gonna post the same. Announces our presence on the road - more fun than At the Dome where it has seemed tired for a while now.

I wouldn't be so against it if fans didn't act like they were being held against their will. It just comes off as so halfhearted.
Syracuse fans hate having choreographed fun at football and basketball games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom