Is it Time... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is it Time...

.Alot of people on this board just dont get that the game is passing him by... it happens. It has happened to all the great ones. He is outcoached nightly. God forbid anyone speak the truth here.
Glory to god—I'm enlightened now!
I had no clue what the truth was, but now I do!
The board owes you our collective gratitude for what you're providing here.

The game hasn't passed him by. Teams wouldn't be copying his zone every year. It's not time for him to retire, but it would be nice if he would make some adjustments. He can go when its in heart. He's earned that and I hope nobody pushes him out the door. I also worry about where this program goes under Hopkins, and I'd rather that be prolonged as long as possible...

As has always been an issue with him, his stubbornness can get in the way of what the team really needs. I'm not sure what the fix is this year because this team just isn't that good, and has some fatal flaws, but JB likes to stick with his system whether its working or not. The NBA-esque offense works when you have guards that can blow by, kids that can shoot and a big or two that can do work down low. This team really has none of that, yet plays the same offensive sets we've always seen. Is there something that could work for this team? Maybe, but JB is not likely to try something that different.

Going beyond that, I sometimes wonder if his recruiting strategy needs to change a bit. Instead of recruiting kids that are snug fits for the zone, why aren't we going after more offensively skilled players that may not have the length to play the zone as well as others? We constantly see kids recruited that have length, athleticism and potential, but how often do we really get kids that have a strong offensive game going into college? Recruit some shooters, even if they aren't super long or quick. Recruit a 6'6" PF type that has a ton of offensive skills. Recruit a true PG (hopefully Ennis) that has a strong handle and shooting ability moreso than potential to develop that.

Mr. Albert up the street from my parents has been saying it is time for him to go since 1985. Of course, he's insane.

A minor technicality ... his insanity, that is.

Two of college basketball's elite coaches (John Calipari and Roy Williams) are currently having worse seasons than Boeheim. Is it time for them to go, as well?

Two of college basketball's elite coaches (John Calipari and Roy Williams) are currently having worse seasons than Boeheim. Is it time for them to go, as well?

they dont have 1/10th the talent of this Cuse team.

Hmmm... not sure I agree with that. Nerlens Noel and Willie Cauley-Stein are projected lottery picks, and Archie Goodwin is projected to go late first round.

I'm convinced feeding the post is something that has never been practiced at SU. Obviously that's not true, but its never been a strength or a feature of any SU team. Now, the meaningless roll after the ball screen...that's a staple.

44cuse
We had a great 2 man game when AO was here

The game hasn't passed him by. Teams wouldn't be copying his zone every year. It's not time for him to retire, but it would be nice if he would make some adjustments. He can go when its in heart. He's earned that and I hope nobody pushes him out the door. I also worry about where this program goes under Hopkins, and I'd rather that be prolonged as long as possible...

As has always been an issue with him, his stubbornness can get in the way of what the team really needs. I'm not sure what the fix is this year because this team just isn't that good, and has some fatal flaws, but JB likes to stick with his system whether its working or not. The NBA-esque offense works when you have guards that can blow by, kids that can shoot and a big or two that can do work down low. This team really has none of that, yet plays the same offensive sets we've always seen. Is there something that could work for this team? Maybe, but JB is not likely to try something that different.

All good points.

I like Hopkins a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little less conservative than Boeheim. But people would be crazy to wish Boeheim away - Hopkins isn't going to be as successful. He can't be. Boeheim's an excellent coach who is going to leave here with about a .740 winning percentage. I don't envy the guy who has to follow that act.

It'd be nice to see some adjustments with this group of players, though. Dial down the outside shooting, focus on playing to our guards' strengths. We've done this before (think of 1991, when he limited a better group of shooters than this to 13 attempts per game).

for Boeheim to retire? Always arguing with media and now being out coached more than ever. That one bad half comment is a classic...

Don't have a good feeling about hoops on the hill recently.

I heard that about Calhoun n 2011. I think UConn finished 9th in the Big East that year, and then did ok in March.

So that means we need to stand around chucking threes? I don't buy that one bit. We have guys who can score around the basket. And furthermore, a good offense shouldn't rely on an either/or situation where you either score inside or you stand around chucking threes. Our players are best suited for the midrange game, by and large, yet they stand around the perimeter jacking up bad three pointers.

no but that fact along with the fact that teams no we are poor from 3(besides sutherland) means teams pack the lane leaving our players open from 3

very well said. Alot of people on this board just dont get that the game is passing him by... it happens. It has happened to all the great ones. He is outcoached nightly. God forbid anyone speak the truth here. Its tough to watch now. Any schlub could coach against Jimbo. Same old crap and substitution pattern game after game. The crazy talent we have had the past few years has disguised this.

The fact he didnt sit Triche today is comical. Worst game the kid has ever played. Why do we even have a bench? Very very sad game to witness. This stretch of 8 days has been very brutal.
Was the game passing him by just last year? In case you forgot, we were a school best 34-3. Really stupid post.

no but that fact along with the fact that teams no we are poor from 3(besides sutherland) means teams pack the lane leaving our players open from 3
And whose job is it to come up with a gameplan to combat that tactic, and put our players in the best possible position to score?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think that JB needs to go. Again, just playing devil's advocate. Our offensive ineptitude of late has to fall at least in part on JB.

And whose job is it to come up with a gameplan to combat that tactic, and put our players in the best possible position to score?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think that JB needs to go. Again, just playing devil's advocate. Our offensive ineptitude of late has to fall at least in part on JB.
Theoretically you are correct on the last part, but the team is getting the shots---They are just not making them. Even easy lay-ups in the paint. When MCW missed that dunk, they showed the replay ten times and I couldn't believe the ball didn't go down. Plus they had ridiculous turnovers. JS literally dribbled the ball off his knee out-of-bounds like a 5th Grader.

What tralent do we have? Two guards that can't
shoot. And worse than that, we have no center that can post up and make a lay-up. We have pretty good forwards. But fair is a jr and he isn't good enough to go pro this year. And Southerland will never play in the NBA. Grant, time will tell but he isn't there now. We aren't that good or talented.

for Boeheim to retire? Always arguing with media and now being out coached more than ever. That one bad half comment is a classic...

Don't have a good feeling about hoops on the hill recently.
idiotic post

Passing him by? What was our record last year again? Have we attained the #1 ranking in two of the last four seasons?

Haven't we been in the top 10 the entire year this year, before this slide?

Talk about overreaction. Yeah, the game has really passed him by.

Thank God there are still rational people here like you RF. Good post, much needed in this thread. JB shouldn't "have" to do anything. He has more than earned his right to stay here until he's 85 if that's his desire. And the Dome will continue to sell out, too.

Heck yeah! They don't even know what to do with the Mickey Ds they recruited. Fire the slackers.

I'm convinced feeding the post is something that has never been practiced at SU. Obviously that's not true, but its never been a strength or a feature of any SU team. Now, the meaningless roll after the ball screen...that's a staple.

44cuse
Is it really possible that you've already forgotten Arinze? We used to start every game feeding the ball into him, resulting in thunderous dunks and opening up the outside for shooters who could make shots from out there with some consistency.

We had a great 2 man game when AO was here

Great would be a stretch IMO. Great is what dominant bigs do in the post or initiate off a roll. A lot of what AO did was OREB and put backs. Greg Monroe was great in the post. It's not a staple of SU hoops. And that is fine. But in years when you get literally zero production out of the post...where you are essentially playing four on five on OFF...its going to cripple the offense.

So much in the SU offense depends on slash, drive and dish...that getting nothing from the post closes down those opportunities.

44cuse

A lot of what AO did was OREB and put backs.
44cuse

We will have to disagree on this point. We fed AO in the low post a ton his senior year. It was a staple of the offense.

Is it really possible that you've already forgotten Arinze? We used to start every game feeding the ball into him, resulting in thunderous dunks and opening up the outside for shooters who could make shots from out there with some consistency.

Certainly not. Nor have I forgot the brief stretch in Hak's career where he could actually be fed mid post and had enough length to drop step t the hole or enough skill to pull up and hit the fade.

But even in those years our guards were not great at feeding the post (technically). Post feeds come in essentially two forms: to the bigs baseline hand with the pass aimed at the top of the hand thrown in the direction of the top corner of the back board, or, a bounce pass if the defender is playing straight up instead of coming over the top. I can't think of a guard anyone would really consider a good post feeder. Average...maybe, but its just not something that has ever been an emphasis in the SU offense. The emphasis is on drive, slash, and dish to the wing.

Offenses that go through the post: Wisconsin, G'Town (think Greg Monroe), and Duke to an extent.

AO took 11% of SU's team shots in '09 and '10.
RJ took 12% and 16% of SU's team shots in '10 and '11.
RC takes 7% of SU's team shots this year.

DC, Baye and RC combined account for about 13% of SU's shots on the season (I have not broken it out by BE conf games, but I suspect these #'s would go down).

We're not a post oriented offense. Nothing wrong with having a perimeter or drive and kick oriented offense. Hence post passing is not an emphasis or not emphasized as much as transition and scoring out of the transition. You don't try and play up tempo and then enter into an offense that begins in the post.

44cuse

We will have to disagree on this point. We fed AO in the low post a ton his senior year. It was a staple of the offense.

Actually...AO took 11% of SU's shots that year. Is that a ton to you?

And besides, that's only part of the point. The point is that our guards are not and have never been great post feeders. It's because of the style we play. It shouldn't be what we are best at. It's not what we do.

44cuse

Actually...AO took 11% of SU's shots that year. Is that a ton to you?

And besides, that's only part of the point. The point is that our guards are not and have never been great post feeders. It's because of the style we play. It shouldn't be what we are best at. It's not what we do.

44cuse
I'd say so when he only plays 20 minutes a game. With Ricky's stats that's a quarter of our shots for the year.

I don't think he should be forced to resign or anything close to that, but knowing that the end is near I really could care less if he leaves. We will have to make the adjustment sooner or later, and I don't see a final four in our near future, so I'm not averse to getting started with the transition. Doesn't mean he hasn't done a great job here. Just a recognition that nothing lasts forever.
And exactly which final four that we were in did you see? Thought so!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom