Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, JB is willing but I don’t think he will “chase” recruits nor does he feel he needs to. He has shown that he does not want the hassle of a full roster or managing egos. He definitely thinks he can still win and will continue to do it his way until that is no longer true - in his mind at least.
yep

Come on bees. This is a results-driven business and we all know that. And the results are mediocre at best.

As noted above he's simply not willing (recruiting grind, portal pursuit) to get the players here and he's apparently not able to see how fatally flawed his constructed rosters are - at least in the context to get them to rise above the barely-mediocre threshold. And apparently not able to sufficiently develop enough of those lesser players we do bring in, who either transfer or languish on the bench.

Again, results are everything.

You asked a question and I answered it. Your compete answer has to do with able. Should we list the recruits we were after this spring? Most if not all JB went and saw himself this summer, some multiple times. If he wasn’t willing he wouldnt have been recruiting Flip, Clingan, JJ, Westry, Gayle, Johnson, etc etc plus the 5 we did get who weren’t as highly rated and now Mintz. The willing is there.

You asked a question and I answered it. Your compete answer has to do with able. Should we list the recruits we were after this spring? Most of not all JB went and saw himself this summer? If he wasn’t willing he wouldnt have been recruiting Flip, Clingan, JJ, Westry, Gayle, Johnson, etc etc plus the 5 we did get who weren’t as highly rated and now Mintz. The willing is there.
Willing to get meh recruits to remain meh mediocre? OK

Willing to get meh recruits to remain meh mediocre? OK

Lol. So you’re saying he didn’t want the higher rated kids? Ok.

You asked a question and I answered it. Your compete answer has to do with able. Should we list the recruits we were after this spring? Most if not all JB went and saw himself this summer, some multiple times. If he wasn’t willing he wouldnt have been recruiting Flip, Clingan, JJ, Westry, Gayle, Johnson, etc etc plus the 5 we did get who weren’t as highly rated and now Mintz. The willing is there.

Will 10 years of not being ranked be the point where you are capable of putting down the Boeheim criticism shield? Kind of interested in how long you can keep this up as the seasons get worse.

i think Billy might take umbrage at cutting loose Chaz. Just sayin'
Fair point, but college basketball is a business not a charity

A bball scholarship from SU should be given to those who have earned it, not given because of who their daddy is

Come on bees. This is a results-driven business and we all know that. And the results are mediocre at best.

As noted above he's simply not willing (recruiting grind, portal pursuit) to get the players here and he's apparently not able to see how fatally flawed his constructed rosters are - at least in the context to get them to rise above the barely-mediocre threshold. And apparently not able to sufficiently develop enough of those lesser players we do bring in, who either transfer or languish on the bench.

Again, results are everything.
Coaching mindset must change from all player development occurs in practice to practice and regular game participation from beginning of the season for all scholarship players, IMO!

Will 10 years of not being ranked be the point where you are capable of putting down the Boeheim criticism shield? Kind of interested in how long you can keep this up as the seasons get worse.

Do you think JB was willing to recruit high rated kids this past year? That was the question and That’s what I answered.

IMO, JB is willing but I don’t think he will “chase” recruits nor does he feel he needs to. He has shown that he does not want the hassle of a full roster or managing egos. He definitely thinks he can still win and will continue to do it his way until that is no longer true - in his mind at least.
and thats the problem, your getting what is it, $2.5 mill a year to coach? I think you should be able to give 100% committment

If a CEO was making that at Fortune 500 company and the board sensed that, he would be removed

I'm saying he wasn't willing to do what it would take to get those kids

Because we don’t get a recruit, the default answer is he wasn’t willing?

He was willing to go after the major recruits until it became a battle then backed away which seems to be the MO as we descend to irrelevancy.

Who did we “back away from”? And if we did, how would you know? Just an assumption? With the exception of Johnson since that is well known.

Recruit, as in offer a scholarship to and go watch play once or twice? Sure
Willing to grind it out to get a commitment? No

Define grind it out as it applies to recruiting.

He was willing to go after the major recruits until it became a battle then backed away which seems to be the MO as we descend to irrelevancy.
From my understanding, it isn’t so much about a willingness to do battle. He battled for JJ and Flip. It’s more about how much “nonsense“JB is willing to tolerate. He’s not gonna go out of his way to tend to egos, to guarantee playing time, or offer other incentives. He just doesn’t think he needs to. He has a long history of winning doing things his way. Even though the last several seasons fly in the face of that.

We lost a top 50 player who grew up 10 miles from the Carrier Dome to Notre Dame when his family wanted him to come here.

We have lost multiple kids from Rochester and multiple kids from Albany. We lost Symir originally. We are getting cooked in our own backyard.

Last edited:
Define grind it out as it applies to recruiting.
Doing what it takes to get identified priority recruits to sign letters of intent.

And if what's being identified as priority, and ends up signing, and the roster is still lacking (the current state of affairs, it seems) then that would tie to the "able" aspect referred to above

I'm saying he wasn't willing to do what it would take to get those kids
Unfortunately, I think this is the correct answer. Clingan was a long shot anyway, but his recruitment had a different challenge (getting him out of CT). But I think JAB has always been pretty smart about staying away from kids who have too much baggage, but the last 6-8 years has been about being very careful with recruiting amidst sanctions. I think the recruiting landscape has changed significantly and he isn't interested in playing that game as much as he may have in the past and/or adapting to the new environment.

Doing what it takes to get identified priority recruits to sign letters of intent.

Well as we’ve seen, that’s not always as easy as it seems. We as a staff including JB did what they could and were WILLING to recruit these kids. All your arguments, and others, are on the able side.

Well as we’ve seen, that’s not always as easy as it seems. We as a staff including JB did what they could and were WILLING to recruit these kids. All your arguments, and others, are on the able side.
Let's not get hung up on "willing" "able" semantics. At the end of the day it's results - both in who you're bringing onto the roster and how many games you're winning. JB's results in both areas have become barely mediocre.
You can say it's his ride into the sunset and he deserves that ride in any manner he chooses - I say that ride has gone on long enough now.

Does anyone have insight to how Cuse has done recruiting wise compared to the other ACC teams - for the upcoming season?

Does anyone have insight to how Cuse has done recruiting wise compared to the other ACC teams - for the upcoming season?
We are 7th in the ACC overall but 11th in avg recruit rating. So basically we have good quantity and not so great quality. Mintz would help move both those numbers up for sure.

Do you think JB was willing to recruit high rated kids this past year? That was the question and That’s what I answered.
What HS games has JB gone to during the season. Like the college coaches who go to all those games do.
We send Red, GMac because the HC doesn’t go.

When we played at Virginia Tech it was Red at Mintz HS game not JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom