Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore? | Syracusefan.com

Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl31

in cahoots
Based on what we've seen this year, and his words last night on the radio, I'm afraid the answer is No.

I'm not sure if it comes down to the "willing" or the "able" - probably a combo of the two - but it's become clear that he can't/won't assemble the type of roster required to be relevant (compete to be in top of ACC, a non-bubble seed in NCAAT).

Obviously I'll wait to see what the roster for next year is actually comprised of before fully judging - but if it's the incoming freshmen (plus Mintz perhaps) minus the Boeheim bros and Swider, as JB indicated last night, that's roster malpractice - just as this season was/is roster malpractice.

It's sad and tiresome.

Appears he’s coasting and isn’t trying to put together the best possible team he can. Our forward rotation next year currently projects to be frightening.

It’s going to be a white knuckle job to score 60 points next year. We have shown an inability to mix the correct appropriate basketball skill and athleticism to field a top 25 team. It’s just one or the other.

Do you honestly think those 6 recruits, coupled with what we'll be losing, is a winning ACC roster?

We won't know until they get here, will we?

We offer kids scholarships and they don't commit here. Not sure how you come to the conclusion that JB doesn't want them in the first place.

Has JB been unable to assemble the Avengers lately? Sure.

Is JB unwilling? Is JB refusing? I highly doubt it. He wants to win as bad as the other 350 coaches.

Do you honestly think those 6 recruits, coupled with what we'll be losing, is a winning ACC roster?
We only have 5 recruits as well. If he wants to get specific.
Let’s get Mintz before we count him.

Mintz would be the highest rated recruit as well.
We have a good depth recruiting class but we need a stud.

We need all conference players.

Based on what we've seen this year, and his words last night on the radio, I'm afraid the answer is No.

I'm not sure if it comes down to the "willing" or the "able" - probably a combo of the two - but it's become clear that he can't/won't assemble the type of roster required to be relevant (compete to be in top of ACC, a non-bubble seed in NCAAT).

Obviously I'll wait to see what the roster for next year is actually comprised of before fully judging - but if it's the incoming freshmen (plus Mintz perhaps) minus the Boeheim bros and Swider, as JB indicated last night, that's roster malpractice - just as this season was/is roster malpractice.

It's sad and tiresome.
JB has been lazy on the recruiting front for quite a few years now. With NIL and the transfer portal it’s even more pronounced.

I’d be happy with the point guard, small forward and power forward off of the UB roster. (Segu,JWill,Mballa)

Pair them with JG3, Jesse and the incoming Freshman and I think we could have a competitive team again.

We offer kids scholarships and they don't commit here. Not sure how you come to the conclusion that JB doesn't want them in the first place.

Is JB unwilling? Is JB refusing? I highly doubt it. He wants to win as bad as the other 350 coaches.
But he ain’t winning and he keeps thinking these rosters are good enough. Then we hear the excuses. Tired of it.

Oh come on.
"Willing" = grinding out recruiting battles and pounding the portal.
"Able" = Identifying what pieces are needed (to compete for top spot in ACC and for a non-bubble tourney spot) and how they'll fit together.
JB has done neither for at least 5 years.

But he ain’t winning and he keeps thinking these rosters are good enough. Then we hear the excuses. Tired of it.
We aren’t trying to be a Conference title contender never mind a NC contender.
JB is doing it his way and that won’t bottom out but its just obvious watching good college basketball teams and then watching us we aren’t close.

We’d be ok at guard(maybe better if a freshman is ready to be solid immediately) and really good at Center.

But if Cole leaves, a transfer forward that’s ready to be good immediately is a necessity. We can’t roll with Benny and a bunch of freshmen at forward. Given the depth we had at forward last year, this position is maddening to me. We’re friggin Syracuse, we should always have a couple 6’8 athletes that can play.

“We had to get better athletically and we did, but we lost too much shooting ability and it’s been really difficult to score. There’s too much responsibility on Joe every night and he can’t do it alone.”

It's sad and tiresome.

Willing and able are two completely different things. Willing yes, able is up to each persons opinion. But he’s certainly willing. Just look at the recruits we were going after this past spring. And JB was out there himself seeing them.

Willing and able are two completely different things. Willing yes, able is up to each persons opinion. But he’s certainly willing. Just look at the recruits we were going after this past spring. And JB was out there himself seeing them.
Come on bees. This is a results-driven business and we all know that. And the results are mediocre at best.

As noted above he's simply not willing (recruiting grind, portal pursuit) to get the players here and he's apparently not able to see how fatally flawed his constructed rosters are - at least in the context to get them to rise above the barely-mediocre threshold. And apparently not able to sufficiently develop enough of those lesser players we do bring in, who either transfer or languish on the bench.

Again, results are everything.

Without looking up the scholarship numbers, they probably need 6 frosh, 1 transfer at forward and or retain Cole.

Cut some deadweight from scholarship Chaz, have JBA portal, etc.

It was good to hear that he might try adjusting to M2M, thats a sign he is at least acknowledging he may have to adjust but in reality next year looks potentially to be a serious rebuild with a youth movement...it might be a good time call it a career. If this season is taking a toll on him, I dont know why at 78 you would want to try to go through what looks like a possible rebuild season?

IMO, JB is willing but I don’t think he will “chase” recruits nor does he feel he needs to. He has shown that he does not want the hassle of a full roster or managing egos. He definitely thinks he can still win and will continue to do it his way until that is no longer true - in his mind at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom