Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is JB willing/able to assemble a winning roster anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids want to play and score, and JB is right that the NBA drafts by scorers (unless you're a Mitchell Robinson type which might not be that useful).

My point is that on the list of things we have a problem with, that one is way down it at best.

If you go back and revisit the initial post of mine you responded to, you will see that that was the last thing I mentioned. So, I agree with you, that there are much larger issues. The "furthermore" is just icing on the cake so to speak.

Probably not at his age. And not if both sons are back playing every second of every game which they will its hard to see us picking up high end portal guys.

Whats wrong with ending on this season? He got a Sweet 16 last year and should avoid a losing record and got to coach his kids. Odds aren't any better on future seasons being better. The program hasn't played a ranked conference game in close to a decade. On which note its the perfect time to give someone else the keys its incomprehensible how bad the ACC is this year compared to other top conferences. No one honestly thought they'd ever see THIS league this weak.

Does a top coach chose us or Louisville if the money is the same?

Yeah I disagree. The head coach of the team openly spoke about Jimmy getting another year like a month ago

and, as we all know, what is said openly to the press is the only thing that matters. There could never ever be some confidential rumors or back channel discussions. That's nonsense.

Right...I never brought up Flip. You did.

...so when you said “It’s never been said or hinted that everyone was coming back”. You’d agree that you were incorrect, right?

Lol. Do you do stuff like this on purpose. Context context context. You responded to my post that the current roster had no impact on the current class because there was no reason to think they’d come back. You disagreed and used a quote by JB that he made long after we lost this kids. Yes I did mention flip as one of those we lost. Should I have mentioned all of them. No I wasn’t incorrect.

Willing and able are two completely different things. Willing yes, able is up to each persons opinion. But he’s certainly willing. Just look at the recruits we were going after this past spring. And JB was out there himself seeing them.
What is he doing that’s not working then when other programs historically much worse than us are succeeding? If we can’t recruit the top kids anymore, we can’t contend. Which means JB needs to sail off into the sunset.

Last edited:
We only have 5 recruits as well. If he wants to get specific.
Let’s get Mintz before we count him.

Mintz would be the highest rated recruit as well.
We have a good depth recruiting class but we need a stud.

We need all conference players.
Jessie will be all conference next year. Buddy was first team preseason. Hughes was all conference. Guerrier was third team last year. I guess they don’t count.

Lol. Do you do stuff like this on purpose. Context context context. You responded to my post that the current roster had no impact on the current class because there was no reason to think they’d come back. You disagreed and used a quote by JB that he made long after we lost this kids. Yes I did mention flip as one of those we lost. Should I have mentioned all of them. No I wasn’t incorrect.
*looks at thread*

YOU responded to MY post. I never posted to you and try not include you in discussions much anymore because you or one of the others frequently delete posts to control the story which leads to posters saying stuff like “Weird posters aren’t talking about such and such anymore”.

so I stand by my intitial post. The Daddyball scenario laid out by Gottlieb and the clear nepotism shown by the head coach has had an impact on recruiting.

Because we don’t get a recruit, the default answer is he wasn’t willing?
We basically let Dior Johnson go, because apparently he was FaceTiming coaches in the middle of the night. Oh boo hoo. So sad and annoying for them. Coaches need to learn to deal with these challenges in recruiting. Instead JB cuts bait. Oregon swooped in and found a way to put up with his shenanigans. Now we can go watch him dominate the PAC-12 next year and put Oregon back in the top 25.

Jessie will be all conference next year. Buddy was first team preseason. Hughes was all conference. Guerrier was third team last year. I guess they don’t count.
Yes, Hughes and Q don't count because they're not here.

I don't know, depends on the definition and what value there is if "willing" = "wanting". There are lots of things I'm willing to do, but not going to sacrifice much for.

Also I wouldn't put much stock in what random posters write on the recruiting forum. I think with every recruit there will be at least one post about how underrated this gem is and is a great get. That doesn't make it so.

We aren’t discussing posters opinions about recruits.

We basically let Dior Johnson go, because apparently he was FaceTiming coaches in the middle of the night. Oh boo hoo. So sad and annoying for them. Coaches need to learn to deal with these challenges in recruiting. Instead JB cuts bait. Oregon swooped in and found a way to put up with his shenanigans. Now we can go watch him dominate the PAC-12 next year and put Oregon back in the top 25.

If you read the post I said with the exception of Johnson. And you think JB cut bait with him only because he was FaceTiming coaches at 3am?

And Devoe is all-conf for GT.
And Seabron is all-conf for NCst.
And Hughley is all-conf for Pitt.

Great

We aren’t discussing posters opinions about recruits.
You did.
All I know is that during this past recruiting cycle our posters, maybe even you, were pumped up on the recruiting board. There was thoughts of a top 5 class and all these 4 and 5 star kids. People kept commenting on how hard JB was working and being out on the trail more than usual. We even had some pics of him at certain events with one or more assistants.

I heard on the radio that we're bringing in 6 recruits and we'll hit the portal if necessary.

I also heard we're playing m2m next season.

Must be I listened to a different station.
What I read was that we would bring in a 6th OR hit the portal. Might have misunderstood.

Without looking up the scholarship numbers, they probably need 6 frosh, 1 transfer at forward and or retain Cole.

Cut some deadweight from scholarship Chaz, have JBA portal, etc.

It was good to hear that he might try adjusting to M2M, thats a sign he is at least acknowledging he may have to adjust but in reality next year looks potentially to be a serious rebuild with a youth movement...it might be a good time call it a career. If this season is taking a toll on him, I dont know why at 78 you would want to try to go through what looks like a possible rebuild season?
Do you understand that you can’t cut scholarship players?

*looks at thread*

YOU responded to MY post. I never posted to you and try not include you in discussions much anymore because you or one of the others frequently delete posts to control the story which leads to posters saying stuff like “Weird posters aren’t talking about such and such anymore”.

so I stand by my intitial post. The Daddyball scenario laid out by Gottlieb and the clear nepotism shown by the head coach has had an impact on recruiting.

And you’re still wrong. Yes I replied to your daddy ball post with facts. The flips and others we recruited was long before JB said anything about Jimmy petitioning. You used his quote as if it impacted the incoming class. Again, not getting flip or any of the other top recruits we all hoped for had nothing to do with daddy ball or some petition.

You did.

That’s not posters opinions. That’s facts that kids like flip and others were 5 stars. That’s not some poster trying to say a 3 star is better than he is.

Do you understand that you can’t cut scholarship players?
Sure you can, I don't know if they changed it that they are locked in for 4 years but even if they are, it can still be done

Theres plenty of ways its done, told to transfer and help them find a landing spot, in football its often a medical DQ that takes them off the 85 but they still get a scholarship for academic purposes, theres the old violation of team rules and poof they gone.

Plenty of coaches do it, look at how Lincoln Riley at USC football will turn over half the roster 1 in off season

Last edited:
That’s not posters opinions. That’s facts that kids like flip and others were 5 stars. That’s not some poster trying to say a 3 star is better than he is.
And I'm done here. Have a nice day.

If you read the post I said with the exception of Johnson. And you think JB cut bait with him only because he was FaceTiming coaches at 3am?
You don’t think we’ve had other problem recruits in the past that we put up with to get them on campus? Also, JB flew out to La Lumiere like once or twice to see Starling. He shoulda been out there on the regular, building a relationship with the kid, especially since we were at a disadvantage with Brey just down the road. He doesn’t work as hard in recruiting as other P5 coaches.

Last edited:
And you’re still wrong. Yes I replied to your daddy ball post with facts. The flips and others we recruited was long before JB said anything about Jimmy petitioning. You used his quote as if it impacted the incoming class. Again, not getting flip or any of the other top recruits we all hoped for had nothing to do with daddy ball or some petition.
in your opinion, correct.

i believe it did impact the incoming class. I believe coaches are using how he played his sons and son’s friends against us. I believe how he handled and the subsequent loss of CERTAIN PLAYERS is being used against us in recruiting.

so again, to answer the OP, I AGREE WITH YOU believe Jim is trying to get players. I just believe his actions the last couple of years have hurt the appeal of coming here. That’s all I was saying in my first post. Feel free to have the last word or not

Willing and able are two completely different things. Willing yes, able is up to each persons opinion. But he’s certainly willing. Just look at the recruits we were going after this past spring. And JB was out there himself seeing them.
HAHAHAHA.

Do you think JB was willing to recruit high rated kids this past year? That was the question and That’s what I answered.
He's not willing to do what it takes to successfully recruit high rated kids. Period.

You can debate what those tactics are or what it would take, but he's not willing to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom