Is Red our next HC | Syracusefan.com

Is Red our next HC

kcsu

Living Legend
Before you light the torch think about it. Why would Griff or any good assistant take the SU job knowing that in all likelihood JB is done in three years or less. Why wouldn't GMac have followed Hop?
Could we have a new yet silent coach in waiting?

No reason too think that Hop still can't be our next head coach.

This could be a win-win scenario for Syracuse. Let Hop go to Washington for 3-4 years and gets some real head coaching experience. If he does good SU could always offer to poach him when JB does desire to hang 'em up.

Before you light the torch think about it. Why would Griff or any good assistant take the SU job knowing that in all likelihood JB is done in three years or less. Why wouldn't GMac have followed Hop?
Boeheim has ten years left in him. By then, who knows who will be in line to replace him.

Why does JB's replacement have to be on the staff?
I like Autry but I wouldn't put money on him or anybody on the staff he getting the job.
Nobody is going to get the HCIW title because we don't want to address when JB is going to leave for negative recruiting purposes.

Why does JB's replacement have to be on the staff?
I like Autry but I wouldn't put money on him or anybody on the staff he getting the job.
Nobody is going to get the HCIW title because we don't want to address when JB is going to leave for negative recruiting purposes.
Thats why i stated "silent"
As to why? We dont.

Thats why i stated "silent"
As to why? We dont.
I think it would be silent but also I doubt Wildhack is going to limit himself to the 3 assistants as the next HC.

I have read from Francis that Autry wants a HC spot. So I wouldn't want his first HC to be Syracuse.

Mike Hopkins lost supporters after his 9 game experiment. I think we need to see our assistants flock from the hen house and the one who does best should be considered as the next HC. The reason for as long as they remain here they will be implementing JBs system and not what they would want to do as HC.
Hop isn't going to be a clone of JB at Washington.

Why would he? Move 2700 miles away from Scranton/Syracuse for a downward move?

I think it would be silent but also I doubt Wildhack is going to limit himself to the 3 assistants as the next HC.

I have read from Francis that Autry wants a HC spot. So I wouldn't want his first HC to be Syracuse.

Mike Hopkins lost supporters after his 9 game experiment. I think we need to see our assistants flock from the hen house and the one who does best should be considered as the next HC. The reason for as long as they remain here they will be implementing JBs system and not what they would want to do as HC.
Hop isn't going to be a clone of JB at Washington.
The same people who were upset by Hopkins losing 5 out of 9 games are the same people here who go around saying the sky is falling. They remind of the mindless villagers in a horror film like Frankenstein who go around inciting others with torches and pitch forks.

The same people who were upset by Hopkins losing 5 out of 9 games are the same people here who go around saying the sky is falling. They remind of the mindless villagers in a horror film like Frankenstein who go around inciting others with torches and pitch forks.
Incorrect. Listen to the board insiders Hop was shocked by the FANBASE reaction at his performance.
Hop thought he had more patience from the fanbase and reactions shocked him.
It wasn't a vocal minority. Posters like Kaiser weren't anti-Hop but his performance shocked him.

Why would he? Move 2700 miles away from Scranton/Syracuse for a downward move?
GMac was going to Washington till he got a promotion and pay raise from SU.

Incorrect. Listen to the board insiders Hop was shocked by the FANBASE reaction at his performance.
It wasn't a vocal minority. Posters like Kaiser weren't anti-Hop but his performance shocked him.
Hope outperformed JB against SJU, maybe GTown as well.

Hope outperformed JB against SJU, maybe GTown as well.
St. John's this year was way more competitive than last year.
Georgetown was the same both years both losses were equally pathetic.

Also 4-5 was bad.

Last edited:

What board insiders said Hop felt this way? Is there a link? Thanks because I didn't read that and must have missed it.

What board insiders said Hop felt this way? Is there a link? Thanks because I didn't read that and must have missed it.
It was from posters who were close to Hop.

Also 4-5 was bad.
I am too lazy to look, but I'd be willing to bet Boeheim had at least a dozen 4-5 stretches during his 40+ seasons on the bench. He had one in December this year. And he had one in 1995-96, the year we lost to Kentucky in the Natl Champ Game.

Alsacs, and anyone else with a like mind, stop obsessing over Hop's 9 games at the helm. It is such a simpleton's mindset. You're all so much better than that. Please.

I am afraid, however, that those 9 tough games did change the course, and potentially the trajectory, of the program, which would have included Hop. And if so, it's a great shame on "us." And it shows that the NCAA may actually have "won" with their excessively punitive sanctions.

Also 4-5 was bad.

4-5 coaching someone else's team...people really needed to calm down. Such an overreaction.

I am too lazy to look, but I'd be willing to bet Boeheim had at least a dozen 4-5 stretches during his 40+ seasons on the bench. He had one in December this year. And he had one in 1995-96, the year we lost to Kentucky in the Natl Champ Game.

Alsacs, and anyone else with a like mind, stop obsessing over Hop's 9 games at the helm. It is such a simpleton's mindset. You're all so much better than that. Please.

I am afraid, however, that those 9 tough games did change the course, and potentially the trajectory, of the program, which would have included Hop. And if so, it's a great shame on "us." And it shows that the NCAA may actually have "won" with their excessively punitive sanctions.
I am not obsessing over the 9 games. I am telling you Hop got pissed at the fanbase reaction to it. Please tell me where I said I was pissed.
Hop thinking he had more patience with the fanbase is a fact and last year did affect him.

4-5 coaching someone else's team...people really needed to calm down. Such an overreaction.

I don't get this logic. Wouldn't Hop's first 2 years after JB retired been someone else's team? So it would have been ok for Hop to for 14-15 in 2019 and 2020 because of that?

I don't get this logic. Wouldn't Hop's first 2 years after JB retired been someone else's team? So it would have been ok for Hop to for 14-15 in 2019 and 2020 because of that?

No, because at that point Hop would actually be the head coach and would be doing things his way.

He filled in for someone else in the middle of the season.

If Hop has the kind of success he's hoping to have at Washington, he won't be coming back. If he doesn't, would we want him?
Hop is not going to find quick success at UW. He could be winless this year and it would have nothing to do with his coaching.

I wouldn't be surprised if when JB decides to step down he does it much like Dean Smith did at UNC. It will come out of the blue a month or two before practice starts so it's too late to hire a coach from outside and the AD has to give the job to Red ... at least for a year. If he does reasonably well he gets the extension.

It was 9 games that he was thrusted into the head coaching position without any preparation. Villagers have no patience and don't like anything but winning all the games.

I wouldn't be surprised if when JB decides to step down he does it much like Dean Smith did at UNC. It will come out of the blue a month or two before practice starts so it's too late to hire a coach from outside and the AD has to give the job to Red ... at least for a year. If he does reasonably well he gets the extension.

Well, if he does do that hopefully he does it when the cupboard is incredibly full like Dean did.

UNC had like 6 of their top 7 players returning from a final four team, including Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. He handed Guthridge a guaranteed 30 win team and NC contender.

It was 9 games that he was thrusted into the head coaching position without any preparation. Villagers have no patience and don't like anything but winning all the games.

No prep? How so? If that is the case how would he have been prepared for 2019?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom