Is Red our next HC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is Red our next HC

i was listening to NPR's only a game and charlie pierce mentioned was how nice it would have been for the old BE to have chris mullins at st. john's , patrick ewing at georgetown and the late great pearl washington at syracuse.

Last edited:
Before you light the torch think about it. Why would Griff or any good assistant take the SU job knowing that in all likelihood JB is done in three years or less. Why wouldn't GMac have followed Hop?
Could we have a new yet silent coach in waiting?

Because most AC's are used to being transient. He took the job because it was prestigious resume fodder, even if it only lasts 2-3 years.

As to your original question, I certainly hope not.

GMac was going to Washington till he got a promotion and pay raise from SU.

If true, how does this fold in with the Gmac sucks narrative that is practically the subtitle of this board? Doesn't seem to make much sense that a HOF coach would give a raise to a guy who another HC just starting out wants on his staff if the guy stinks as a coach and recruiter.

I remember when HOP took over for JB, Jay Bilas said the worst Hop would do is 6-3. So a lot of people were suprised at 4-5. It wasn't until his last game that he actually started coaching on the sidelines. Timeouts were better and so was his substitution patterns. He was like a zombie the first 8 games.

If true, how does this fold in with the Gmac sucks narrative that is practically the subtitle of this board? Doesn't seem to make much sense that a HOF coach would give a raise to a guy who another HC just starting out wants on his staff if the guy stinks as a coach and recruiter.
JB didn't give GMac the raise it was Wildhack because he didn't want the staff to blowup with a 72 year old coach. Wildhack gave GMac the raise. JB was fine with it. If you have been reading my posts you have heard me say if all GMac does now for recruiting is get JB to go on the road with him and that is fine.
GMac hasn't been killing it on the road. The GMac sucks narrative hasn't existed it has been the GMac isn't getting it done and maybe that is because he jumped ahead when he got a top 10 assistant job as his first job.
I wasn't jumping up and down when Wildhack wanted GMac to stay. I think a shakeup would have been good and brought in new energy.

I am too lazy to look, but I'd be willing to bet Boeheim had at least a dozen 4-5 stretches during his 40+ seasons on the bench. He had one in December this year. And he had one in 1995-96, the year we lost to Kentucky in the Natl Champ Game.

Alsacs, and anyone else with a like mind, stop obsessing over Hop's 9 games at the helm. It is such a simpleton's mindset. You're all so much better than that. Please.

I am afraid, however, that those 9 tough games did change the course, and potentially the trajectory, of the program, which would have included Hop. And if so, it's a great shame on "us." And it shows that the NCAA may actually have "won" with their excessively punitive sanctions.

In how many how many of those 4-5 stretches by JB was Texas Southern the signature win?

Let's be fair here. Or at least make an attempt.

From what I understand, Hopkins was managing the team and the game as he thought JB would have.

So, instead of making his own decisions, he was deciding based on what he thought JB would do or would want him to do.

There's a huge difference between that and managing a team/game as you would do without this outside factor.

That's what we saw in those 9 games. Hopkins guessing at what JB would do or would want.

Let's be fair here. Or at least make an attempt.

From what I understand, Hopkins was managing the team and the game as he thought JB would have.

So, instead of making his own decisions, he was deciding based on what he thought JB would do or would want him to do.

There's a huge difference between that and managing a team/game as you would do without this outside factor.

That's what we saw in those 9 games. Hopkins guessing at what JB would do or would want.

i think managing to win is more important than what the boss thinks. but perhaps he was the ultimate toadie.

i was listening to NPR's only a game and charlie pierce mentioned was how nice it would have been for the old BE to have chris mulling at st. john's , patrick ewing at georgetown and the late great pearl washington at syracuse.

Typical NPR sentimentality.

Mullin is struggling at SJC.

Ewing got the GU job because no one else wanted it and/or would agree to an arrangement where Big John was his de-facto boss.

Ans Pearl never showed any real interest in coaching anything.

i think managing to win is more important than what the boss thinks. but perhaps he was the ultimate toadie.

I don't know how this makes him a "toadie".

JB was gone for 9 games. Hop was filling in. Everybody with a brain would know that continuity and consistency is what was needed.

But the fact remains that it wasn't Hop doing Hop. It was Hop doing JB. It had to be.

well the Pearl has as many coaching victories as ewing or hopkins bless his sweet soul.

I don't know how this makes him a "toadie".

JB was gone for 9 games. Hop was filling in. Everybody with a brain would know that continuity and consistency is what was needed.

But the fact remains that it wasn't Hop doing Hop. It was Hop doing JB. It had to be.

if your captain is shackled up down in the brig and you've got the wheel and see a rock ahead...STEER!!!

"Mullin is struggling at SJC."

handed us a 93-60 home loss.if you wanna knock a coach try not to pick one who kicked our a$$ recently.

Hopkins performance really isn't the debate I was talking about.
The reaction of the fanbase to the 4-5 and MH shock to the response was.
Hop thought he had more good will than he actually and with the cupboard not being stocked if he took over in 2018 the guy would have walked into a tough situation.

i don't think a lot of people were upset about the 4-5. i wasn't. and i speak for myself when i say i was bothered that he stayed as an assistant for 25 years rather than tackle a program (any program) on his own . we still don't know if mike hopkins can build or sustain a program. it's a crap shoot washington took. and i hope he does well there.
they seem to be bleeding talent.

Last edited:
I don't get this logic. Wouldn't Hop's first 2 years after JB retired been someone else's team? So it would have been ok for Hop to for 14-15 in 2019 and 2020 because of that?
Once he is the head coach it's his team. He was a substitute teacher when everyone knew Boeheim was coming back. I don't get your line of logic or lack of it. Are you trolling?

i'd say a new coach entering a program should get a lot more slack than someone who's been there before the current players were born. the bar is not the same. if you been there 25 years you get no rope. maybe 2 feet.

i'd say a new coach entering a program should get a lot more slack than someone who's been there before the current players were born. the bar is not the same. if you been there 25 years you get no rope. maybe 2 feet.
Huh?
download.jpg

Typical NPR sentimentality.

Mullin is struggling at SJC.

Ewing got the GU job because no one else wanted it and/or would agree to an arrangement where Big John was his de-facto boss.

Ans Pearl never showed any real interest in coaching anything.
Pierce was not talking about anyone's coaching chops, in my opinion. It was more like those three belong on their respective campuses because they are emblematic of their programs' (and the BE's) heydays. Sort of like it was good to have Floyd Little around our football program.

Of course, giving the Legends control of the basketball programs is problematic. But StJ and GT may be simply clutching at straws at this point. Let's hope SU doesn't end up in the same situation.

i got that. dwayne was never a coaching possibility here (although he served great purpose as a good will ambassador of our program ) still it was fun to hear his name dropped respectfully in the patrick ewing piece.
and who knows ...

Hopkins performance really isn't the debate I was talking about.
The reaction of the fanbase to the 4-5 and MH shock to the response was.
Hop thought he had more good will than he actually and with the cupboard not being stocked if he took over in 2018 the guy would have walked into a tough situation.
I think the reaction was over the top. It was obvious the people who were reacting this way wanted a national search and just used the record to make the argument. There were plenty of people on here calling for the national search which is fine and I respect. Just be honest about it. I was more shocked at the way the team played in some of those games. The effort was lacking in my opinion which surprised me considering how many players liked Hop a lot and claimed to respect him as a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom