Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

TBH, this report is mostly garbage. A dinner shouldn't disqualify you. Schools are cheating and players are being bought off, but this is all smoke and no fire.

Don't see how the schools are going to get fried from what I can follow. If there isn't a direct tie to the money and the school I think all these schools throw their hands up and say "we didn't do it and how are we supposed to stop it". I think that is probably 50/50 on whether that is true. Some schools don't some if not most schools do cheat. We know it, the media knows it and the NCAA knows it, but if a school creating fake degrees so athletes can stay eligible to play isn't raising the ire of the public, I don't think 3 and 4 figure pay outs will either. What I think is good that the "lesser programs" like Wichita and seton Hall have had the curtain pulled back a little on how they are landing guys.

As someone posted earlier this isn't a bombshell - like steroids in baseball, we all know it's happening and deep down we don't care as long as we win.

100% agree and without direct evidence it's how the blue bloods will weasel out of trouble. The NCAA will say they can't punish the schools if they didn't know.

Another question regarding all of this. Let's assume for a moment that this is all that we get out of the investigation (probably safe to assume more will come later on, but for the moment, let's play it safe).

If all we have to go off of is a list of players that agents paid, do the schools get punished outside of just vacating the wins that included the listed player?

So far so good. (This wasn't behind a pay wall).
Syracuse Not Named in New Details of FBI Investigation
The photo at the top of that article is all of us right now:

IMG_1431.JPG

Another question regarding all of this. Let's assume for a moment that this is all that we get out of the investigation (probably safe to assume more will come later on, but for the moment, let's play it safe).

If all we have to go off of is a list of players that agents paid, do the schools get punished outside of just vacating the wins that included the listed player?
Its a great question. I don't know the answer lol.

If you are guilty of paying players then the school should lose scholarships and get a postseason ban.

We lost 10 scholarships for a drug policy, 2 players getting paid no show jobs at the YMCA and Fab having a paper written for him.

Paying players thousands of dollars is way bigger than what SU did.

If you are guilty of paying players then the school should lose scholarships and get a postseason ban.

We lost 10 scholarships for a drug policy, 2 players getting paid no show jobs at the YMCA and Fab having a paper written for him.

It wasnt even no-show jobs... it was jobs that werent previously approved

"It's disheartening because I know the kind of person I am," Roberts said. "For them to say 45 games are gone because of me? Come on, man. In all honesty, I don't even know what they're talking about. I don't remember that. … But if I got paid for anything it was services rendered. If I got paid for anything, it's because I was working."

Most of them were about tutoring," Boeheim said on the radio show. "Most but not all. One was a speech for $300 where the money was re-paid but not re-instated. That one was 45 games. … The (drug policy) has nothing to do with any of the games."

cant give a speech without being there.

It obviously is. But we all know these schools will skate on by saying they had no knowledge and this was done by outside agents. With no direct link, like a Director of Basketball Operations, we all know nobody will get punished. If any school or coach is found to have knowledge or participated, then yes, they need to be hammered.

UNC had paper classes -- no punishment.
Louisville ran a brothel and then were involved in paying a player via Adidas -- much less punishment compared to SU
SMU admin did coursework, lied and told the player to lie to get him eligible. Larry Brown knew about it, didn't do anything and then lied. -- lesser punishment, though still harsh.

We were made an example of, plain and simple. Until something disgusting or illegal occurs, or the head coach directly pays a kid, I doubt we see anybody getting a worse punishment than we got.

I hear you, but if hypothetically speaking, there's no proof that the schools were involved outside of the fact that agents paid players that happened to be at their school, do you think they'll be punished outside of just vacating wins?

We still don't know what's on the wire taps and with who. That's what downed Pitino.

It wasnt even no-show jobs... it was jobs that werent previously approved

"It's disheartening because I know the kind of person I am," Roberts said. "For them to say 45 games are gone because of me? Come on, man. In all honesty, I don't even know what they're talking about. I don't remember that. … But if I got paid for anything it was services rendered. If I got paid for anything, it's because I was working."

Most of them were about tutoring," Boeheim said on the radio show. "Most but not all. One was a speech for $300 where the money was re-paid but not re-instated. That one was 45 games. … The (drug policy) has nothing to do with any of the games."

cant give a speech without being there.

And it wasn't having a paper written for him, it was adding citations (footnotes) to a paper he wrote.

I hear you, but if hypothetically speaking, there's no proof that the schools were involved outside of the fact that agents paid players that happened to be at their school, do you think they'll be punished outside of just vacating wins?
How do you vacate wins and do nothing else?

That would destroy the NCAA.

Programs will get punished or the NCAA dissolves.

I hope this won’t ruin college B.B., it’s amazing that people are cheering for schools to be hurt. One of the things that makes college B.B. great is great competition.

This is just the appetizer.

All I have to say is: if the NCAA doesn't drop the hammer on Duke, UK / PayPal Cal, and Arizona, then there is no point in continuing the sham that is amateur collegiate athletics anymore.

The thing is that football is the sport these kids should get paid to attend colleges for.
As they give those schools 3 years of indentured servitude too and then go pro.
In basketball you go one year and then leave.

The agents are pond scum. North Carolina is one of the few states that have tough laws for agents interacting with college athletes.

I hope this won’t ruin college B.B., it’s amazing that people are cheering for schools to be hurt. One of the things that makes college B.B. great is great competition.
This is going to save college basketball. It is a joke that only 3 or 4 schools can get a top 10 kid. The competition will be much greater after this is over. You can never reward massive cheating and think you are better off.