Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

If Ayton or his family cashed $100K then I think not only the coach and school are to be punished but so should the player be punished. If there is some sort of effort to stop this behavior then all involved need to feel the pain.

I'm not sure how the NBA would be giving up leverage by getting dibs on the players out of high school via an amateur draft, a la baseball. If they draft a player and they choose not to sign but to go to college. The team that drafted owns the rights to that player for three years.
It's the way they view these negotiations. Any change proposed by one party gives the other party leverage to get something else. That's how these things work.

The NBA is not going to put something on the table they don't care about, because that gives room to the players union to negotiate something else.

The NBA doesn't want baseball's system, folks. Deal with it.

Players that are drafted by NHL teams are permitted to have agents, even if they play in the NCAA. They cannot sign entry level contracts though.

We can all have different viewpoints on whether players should get paid by the institution. And if you don't think they should, I think that is the wrong view, but at least it has some reason to it. And if that is the rule players should get dinged for it.

But why can't a basketball player have an agent... or accept a loan from an agent. I know some will say they can direct one to a school, but that is not the intent of the agent, The intent of the agent is to make fees from the player in the future. NCAA creates issues for themselves by having to much control over a player.

Maybe the screen grab in the tweet was blocked? I copied it again below. I took it to mean the NCAA cleared him for competition. Maybe they are being literal and just presented the info to the NCAA and walked away without waiting for a response?

View attachment 123494
My bad. Should have read it more thoroughly. It does contradict an earlier statement if I recall correctly.

Yeah as jncuse and others said, there is no proof (yet) of Ayton or any of these guys taking money. Is it illegal? I don’t know. The shameful part is on the coaches and it really looks bad as a guy who is the head of a basketball program. Miller has to go and takes the fall. Nothing is going to happen to these players right now and the teams need to win.

Yeah as jncuse and others said, there is no proof (yet) of Ayton or any of these guys taking money. Is it illegal? I don’t know. The shameful part is on the coaches and it really looks bad as a guy who is the head of a basketball program. Miller has to go and takes the fall. Nothing is going to happen to these players right now and the teams need to win.
I hear you, and I realize each player/situation might be slightly different, but why did SD St just sit Pope? Why did lvlle not allow Bowen to play? Preston KU?

For those that say Duke and Coach K are clean... c'mon man! Seeing Capel next to K says it all. Duke's recruiting picked back up when he came back to their bench after departing Oklahoma (and why did he leave there?). This year... Duval, Carter, Trent, and then BAGley. Next year... numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the class! Nothing to see here folks... :rolleyes:

Anyone else have Dukie V on mute?

It's the way they view these negotiations. Any change proposed by one party gives the other party leverage to get something else. That's how these things work.

The NBA is not going to put something on the table they don't care about, because that gives room to the players union to negotiate something else.

The NBA doesn't want baseball's system, folks. Deal with it.
I don't really need to "deal with it" because it doesn't bother me a bit what the NBA does as I'm not a fan of the league. I just don't agree that the NBA would be ceding leverage to the players given that a minor league system would benefit both sides.

The 90th kid in the country is getting something. I don't buy it.

A friend of mine is an AAU coach. I don't want to name the school but he told me of an academic oriented college in the northeast that paid one of his players mid five figures to attend that school. Kind of shocking if true because this is not the kind of school you would expect to have this happen.

The 90th kid in the country is getting something. I don't buy it.
Hameir Wright is ranked 89th in the 2018 class and is all set to go to Brewster Prep this year. Towards the end of this past June, he decides to skip prep school and decides to move almost 3000 miles away from his family. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but you can't say that it doesn't raise eyebrows.

A friend of mine is an AAU coach. I don't want to name the school but he told me of an academic oriented college in the northeast that paid one of his players mid five figures to attend that school. Kind of shocking if true because this is not the kind of school you would expect to have this happen.
Bill A Nova?

I've heard a pretty reliable story of an Ivy League school paying players, so I'm not surprised at all.