Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Can't wait for the class action lawsuits demanding the same $100k for every woman's field hockey member. Going to be the end of collegiate sports.
This is the real issue. Where exactly do you draw the line in paying players? The top players on the top teams that generate a lot of the $? What about the role players on that team or top recruits that don’t dominate as projected? What about players at a mid major school or lower level team in a P5 team? What about athletes from all the other sports?

The fact is football and basketball athletes get 100% of their education paid for whether they are a dominate player or just a regular player on their team. Win or lose, they get their education. What happens if the TV deals go south or the fans don’t come out and fill the stadiums one year? Will those same players accept that there is less money to share?

Full athletic tuition is rare for every other sport and the idea that college athletics can afford to pay all athletes is ridiculous. Do the revenues from football and basketball subsidize the rest of that school’s teams? Yes the do. But those same players have a great platform to prepare and even make a name for themselves in college and are able to get a full ride in college. As anyone who ha recently paid, currently paying or about to pay for college tuition, that is a huge benefit.

Screenshot 2018-02-24 00.26.00.png

What was Miller thinking being the one to deal directly with the money and talking about it on the phone? He clearly never watched The Wire.
That’s my whole thing. It makes zero sense. You have book do everything and deny later.

This is the real issue. Where exactly do you draw the line in paying players? The top players on the top teams that generate a lot of the $? What about the role players on that team or top recruits that don’t dominate as projected? What about players at a mid major school or lower level team in a P5 team? What about athletes from all the other sports?

The fact is football and basketball athletes get 100% of their education paid for whether they are a dominate player or just a regular player on their team. Win or lose, they get their education. What happens if the TV deals go south or the fans don’t come out and fill the stadiums one year? Will those same players accept that there is less money to share?

Full athletic tuition is rare for every other sport and the idea that college athletics can afford to pay all athletes is ridiculous. Do the revenues from football and basketball subsidize the rest of that school’s teams? Yes the do. But those same players have a great platform to prepare and even make a name for themselves in college and are able to get a full ride in college. As anyone who ha recently paid, currently paying or about to pay for college tuition, that is a huge benefit.
Agreed.

1) schools paying players directly would destroy higher education in the US. Not a good trade

2) you can avoid all of the fairness and equality issues by allowing student-athletes to profit from their name and likeness. Opportunity to profit is the outcome. Once things move to payment, that's when outcomes will differ, and that is when schools will have a problem. But if you aren't restricting any athlete from opportunity, they're all equal

Hate to post speculation, but just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who has connections in the 'Zona athletic dept, and he in no uncertain terms said Miller is gonzo effective immediately... Romar takin' over as interim.
Right.

Because given his history, Romar is probably clean.

:cough:

That’s my whole thing. It makes zero sense. You have book do everything and deny later.
He probably felt that he had to go the extra mile to get players that Kentucky and Duke wanted.

I feel kind of bad for saying this, really, but I would absolutely love it if K got hung in all of this.

My wife is a dookie and all of her family. You can't imagine how bad that is for me. I love my in-laws, but they're unbearable at times with how great dook is.

Hate to post speculation, but just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who has connections in the 'Zona athletic dept, and he in no uncertain terms said Miller is gonzo effective immediately... Romar takin' over as interim.

What a debacle there lol. Miller is an idiot.

Should have been gone in November. School dug themselves in deep here.

The problem is that many (not all) coaches know something is going on, just not exactly what it is. They turn a blind eye to have plausible deniability.
Of course they’re aware that this stuff is going on. But not all are privy to the particulars—and many probably try to steer clear of it. I have no problem with that. They’re caught in a broken system that’s been broken for a long time, in most cases for longer than they’ve been in the coaching profession.

Holy moly! Did you guys read the whole thing? More than just Zona. Coaches from Michigan State, Indiana...

I can't believe this Dawkins guy and their staff actually typed this stuff out and sent detailed emails, let alone phone calls about it. Money, money, money!

I disagree with Jay Bilas so much on this... Paying college athletes would be terrible. If that were to happen then you could say goodbye to a lot of college teams... Wouldn't be able to compete with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC. Recruits just gonna go to who gives most... And its not like they don't get anything... They get a free a FREE college education. Kids pay thousands and thousands of dollars for that.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. And I think your opinion is borne out of fear of what the new system would become if schools were paying, your fear that smaller schools like SU wouldn’t be able to compete. But no one’s saying that’s the system that would be created. you could allow players to benefit from their likenesses or allow them to sign endorsements with local businesses. You could also easily create a system with rules and a more level playing field for colleges, so certain schools aren’t favored over others. The P5 schools/conferences could agree on a number that they would pay players—or divvy up money by seniority or other factors. The players should have a college athletes union to advocate for them. But you have to pay the players something because of the billions in TV money being made by colleges on the backs of these athletes.

Holy moly! Did you guys read the whole thing? More than just Zona. Coaches from Michigan State, Indiana...

I can't believe this Dawkins guy and their staff actually typed this stuff out and sent detailed emails, let alone phone calls about it. Money, money, money!

Yup I also read "Villanova coaches, and saw Kyle Lowry and some other Nova guard on the payroll for like 3-4k... guess, we can cross Wright off the list of potential replacements for JB lol.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. And I think your opinion is borne out of fear of what the new system would become if schools were paying, your fear that smaller schools like SU wouldn’t be able to compete. But no one’s saying that’s the system that would be created. you could allow players to benefit from their likenesses or allow them to sign endorsements with local businesses. You could also easily create a system with rules and a more level playing field for colleges, so certain schools aren’t favored over others. The P5 schools/conferences could agree on a number that they would pay players—or divvy up money by seniority or other factors. The players should have a college athletes union to advocate for them. But you have to pay the players something because of the billions in TV money being made by colleges on the backs of these athletes.

The problem is with the enforcement, as there will always be guys willing to throw bags of cash, etc at recruits. Ncaa is complicit in this and whose to say another system will work any better? Just playing devil's advocate here...

Rob Murphy was mentioned!

I read elsewhere on the webs that the call to Sean Miller was made with the FBI in the room. If true, a lot of the taped conversations were directed and a lot of people will be screwed

edit: LOL

Last edited:
I read elsewhere on the webs that the call to Sean Miller was made with the FBI in the room. If true, a lot of the taped conversations were directed and a lot of people will be screwed
Wow. That's crazy, man. Why am I so shocked that they were actually blabbing on the phone?

I just watched a documentary called "At All Costs" about the slimeball nature of high school AAU ball and the relationships between it, shoe companies, college coaches and agents. I don't know if its well known or popular but it had been sitting in my Netflix watch list for probably a year at least. And I figured what the hell I'll give it a shot tonight with all the articles that have come out.

I don't think I could have picked a more appropriate documentary for the night. I've never heard of Etop Udo-Ema until reading the Yahoo article earlier, but he shows up 5 mins in and is a focus of it. You can tell he is a scumbag and a major influence in recruiting. You can tell there are lots of other shady characters involved too. It also focuses on some Arizona recruits from a few years ago and gives small peaks into their program.

Another thing I found funny was a Clark Francis list from 2013, of the top 10 players in the class of 2017. #1 was none other than Deandre Ayton. Brian Bowen and Billy Preston were also on it.

Overall good doc with good insight