Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Stupid chit like this does nothing but divide.
God shut up SVG.
The 1 and done rule is so teams get a 1 year look at these players against more even competition.

God he is so dumb. Robert Swift went from HS to the Seattle Supersonics he got a promise and stop working out for other teams. He went ridiculously high and was a bust. If he goes to college he doesn't get picked in the lottery.

The words racist is thrown out way too casually. If a person is racist they are evil.

If this is the path we ultimately go down, we better get busy creating the best school of sports agents and athlete mareting that money can buy.

So many diminish the value of a scholarship. Let the athletes make their own money and pay their own tuition. Because apparently they could all make way more than the education costs.

Or should they get a free education and paid whatever the free market allows?

Do you know what % of the country right now would beg for a scholarship or no real loans after graduation to pay off?

Go somewhere with that. These athletes aren't recruited because of their academic potential. You know it and they know it. Cut the check or give them an allowance that they can choose what to do with it. There's a clear generational and racial gap when it comes to this debate.

Compensation can be anything with value, not just money. But as Finwad said, fine pay the players but let them pay the cost of tuition. I'll bet it equals out or they come out at a loss.

To me, this construct points out the ridiculousness of what college athletics has become.

College athletic teams are supposed to be composed of students attending a particular school who want to obtain an education and at the same time participate in an athletic extra-curricular activity. Same as other students participate in Greek life, music, drama or whatever. When they represent the school particularly well or in a fashion that creates value for the school, the school awards a scholarship. That is the currency that college students representing their university are paid in.

One of the big reasons that this disconnect exists now is that colleges have allowed athletics to become basically an entirely distinct enterprise from their primary enterprise which is education and research. Today they seek out the best basketball players rather than the students who are the best basketball players. They end up with great basketball players, but those great basketball players often have NO interest in obtaining a college degree. If they have no interest in an education, why are they at a college?? When that is the case those kids have little interest in being compensated in the currency of free tuition.

Seems to me there is one of two ways this could/should go, on a go forward.

1. Adopt rules and make changes that returns college athletics to what it was originally intended to be, a pursuit for students looking for extra curricular activities while they are pursuing an education. Send those that are primarily pursuing a path towards playing athletics professionally somewhere else, like a professional minor league.

or

2. Allow colleges to sponsor professional teams where the players are paid whatever the particular college's budget will support. The athletes will be employees of the universities with no requirement that they take courses and pursue a degree. Completely remove the lie of amateurism.

As a compromise, maybe you have both models. Pro Division and Amateur Division.

Once you go to a fully professional model I don't see how the great majority of schools truly compete. The big state schools and schools that are in the largest population centers are likely going to dominate because they are going to have the biggest fan bases and the best ability to supplement the money that is evenly distributed with additional money so that they can pay the best athletes greater salaries.

Last edited:
Seems to me there is one of two ways this could/should go, on a go forward.

1. Adopt rules and make changes that returns college athletics to what it was originally intended to be, a pursuit for students looking for extra curricular activities while they are pursuing an education. Send those that are primarily pursuing a path towards playing athletics professionally somewhere else, like a professional minor league.

or

2. Allow colleges to sponsor professional teams where the players are paid whatever the particular college's budget will support. The athletes will be employees of the universities with no requirement that they take courses and pursue a degree. Completely remove the lie of amateurism.

As a compromise, maybe you have both models. Pro Division and Amateur Division.

Once you go to a fully professional model I don't see how they great majority of schools truly compete. The big state schools and schools that are in the largest population centers are likely going to dominate because they are going to have the biggest fan bases and the best ability to supplement the money that is evenly distributed with additional money so that they can pay the best athletes greater salaries.

I would go with Door #1.

It seems like everybody wants to make sweeping changes to make sure that the 1% of college athletes with potential to go pro get theirs. But as currently structured, there is no way to single out the athletes who are actually lottery picks from the pole vaulter at a DIII school.

And don't start with the "they should be able to use the free market to sell their image" balderdash. Half of us are ready to storm the barricade because these same players got a free meal from an agent. I can't wait to see how much the agents pony up for a tshirt deal and a player commitment to a college with an "arrangement" with the coach.

Make it so that the 1% can go pro immediately. The college football and basketball games may be a little less exciting (i would disagree), there may be less revenue, but the kids who can get paid should get paid - in a professional league willing to pay them.

BTW - I feel your second idea makes sense as well; I would just prefer the first.

Last edited:
That would be a big risk. So, I have this big scoop. I'm going to hold it and risk another media source scooping me? Only a complete dope would do that.
Would never, ever, ever happen. Never.

That would be a big risk. So, I have this big scoop. I'm going to hold it and risk another media source scooping me? Only a complete dope would do that.

That’s not what I said. I’m saying what if they’ve put everything out they have, but what they have is not everything.

Go somewhere with that. These athletes aren't recruited because of their academic potential. You know it and they know it. Cut the check or give them an allowance that they can choose what to do with it. There's a clear generational and racial gap when it comes to this debate.

They do get an allowance.

That’s not what I said. I’m saying what if they’ve put everything out they have, but what they have is not everything.
I was really responding to the person that you were responding to. Not you.

Schools could give the players a cut of the jersey sales they get from football and basketball.
I bought a Damien Rhodes #1 and this Hakim Warrick #1 while he was in college.
images

A couple extra thousand dollars per basketball and football player wouldn't hurt the schools. Also bring back EA Sports College Football game and give each kid a reasonable amount of money from mid hundreds to a couple thousand for their likeness to be used in the game.

Why should Herbie, Corso, Nessler get paid from the game but the players nothing.

NBC did it with the Harvey Weinstein story. They had the story and let the New Yorker have it.
Because NBC didnt want to break the story. Huuuuuuuuuge difference...Yahoo can't wait to expose the next morsel. They are not holding info on a bigger story.

I was really responding to the person that you were responding to. Not you.

I would have never known. Lol.

Because NBC didnt want to break the story. Huuuuuuuuuge difference...Yahoo can't wait to expose the next morsel. They are not holding info on a bigger story.
Yahoo has more. They aren't done.

What's the advantage of holding the info. What if someone leaks it. Only thing I can see is if they need something verified before they break it. But, I'm not sure any of these news groups do that any more.

I think the fbi has more and are still looking for even more that yahoo doesn’t yet have.

I think the fbi has more and are still looking for even more that yahoo doesn’t yet have.
FBI has given the information to the US Attorneys. The US Attorneys in NY indicted 4 assistants for bribery, and racketeering.
FBI can't do anything but give the information to the prosecutors.

Honestly this stuff really isn't illegal beyond tax issues. Agents/Coaches paying kids isn't federally illegal unless schools claim they are victims but if they did that good bye nonprofit status.

FBI should leak whatever they got to media and expose the corrupt and force the NCAA into change.

Schools could give the players a cut of the jersey sales they get from football and basketball.
I bought a Damien Rhodes #1 and this Hakim Warrick #1 while he was in college.

A couple extra thousand dollars per basketball and football player wouldn't hurt the schools. Also bring back EA Sports College Football game and give each kid a reasonable amount of money from mid hundreds to a couple thousand for their likeness to be used in the game.

OK - so SU gets $500,000 in net revenue a year off of merch sales with a particular athletes name on it. SU gets a cut of 70% (for syracuse branding, marketing, legal fees, etc.) leaving $150,000. That is then shared (under current rules) with the other 1000 scholarship athletes at SU. Each one gets $150. A year.

You may not be really thinking this all the way thru. And whatever happens it ain't gonna be easy...

OK - so SU gets $500,000 in net revenue a year off of merch sales with a particular athletes name on it. SU gets a cut of 70% (for syracuse branding, marketing, legal fees, etc.) leaving $150,000. That is then shared (under current rules) with the other 1000 scholarship athletes at SU. Each one gets $150. A year.

You may not be really thinking this all the way thru. And whatever happens it ain't gonna be easy...
Soccer, Volleyball, Swimming, Hockey, Lacrosse players don't deserve any of the money that Tyus Battle #25 or Eric Dungey #2 jersey sales generate.

That money would get split by revenue generating sports. So divide 150k by 100 and that would be an extra 1500 dollars a player.

The Labor Board has already ruled they aren't employees. Otherwise, any student getting a scholarship would be an employee. Believe it or not, other groups of students other than athletes bring in money and acclaim to universities. Have you seen the research grant money that is thrown at top research schools by governments and corporations?
But if you pay them money, and require them to work for you as a condition, then they would be employees

Soccer, Volleyball, Swimming, Hockey, Lacrosse players don't deserve any of the money that Tyus Battle #25 or Eric Dungey #2 jersey sales generate.

That money would get split by revenue generating sports. So divide 150k by 100 and that would be an extra 1500 dollars a player.

With that thinking why would Howard Washington deserve any money derived from the sale of Tyus Battle jerseys?

And how do you value the worth of the name on the front vs the name on the back? People buy Cuse jerseys each year without regard to the name on the back. In fact in the day and age of the one and done give me a Jersey with no name on the back. If I have a choice of numbers give me 15 or 44, don’t waste my time with 25, 11 or 23.

With that thinking why would Howard Washington deserve any money derived from the sale of Tyus Battle jerseys?

And how do you value the worth of the name on the front vs the name on the back? People buy Cuse jerseys each year without regard to the name on the back. In fact in the day and age of the one and done give me a Jersey with no name on the back. If I have a choice of numbers give me 15 or 44, don’t waste my time with 25, 11 or 23.
I got no problem limiting it to individual player the problem is though they typically only make one new number each year. It is typically the best player's number.

Fans aren't buying volleyball player jerseys or lacrosse jerseys. Give football and basketball players a share of the profits from jersey sales isn't a lot to do.

This is exactly why the schools shouldn't be giving money directly to the student-athletes.

Let them make their own money.