Class of 2014 - Is There Another Bromley Out There? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Is There Another Bromley Out There?

IMO it is. He's currently on the roster. Zeke Johnson. I understand most like him at DE. I do to, but he might have the biggest upside in the interior. We have welch, robinson, simmons, trejo, and thompson (who can also go inside) if Zeke works hard in S&C and gains about 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. He will start next to Crume by the summer.

Bromley had 10 sacks. He was a really pass rushing DT. Johnson could definitely fit that mold. A 6-6 285-295 athletic as heck guy. Count me in.

Also Zeke was initially recruited as a DT and moved outside for the depth issues there. DTs who have 10 sacks in a season are hard to come by. Also pressure up the middle is harder to gameplan around than outside pressure (harder to really double team and you can't chip inside pressure with running backs).

Donnie Simmons is the guy people should be talking about. Him and Hickey coming back 100% healthy are our 2 most important recruits this year. You get a guy like Donnie in there who is capable of starting, it allows some other guys who are a little bulkier to move to the interior. Johnson and Thompson come to mind.

Donnie Simmons is the guy people should be talking about. Him and Hickey coming back 100% healthy are our 2 most important recruits this year. You get a guy like Donnie in there who is capable of starting, it allows some other guys who are a little bulkier to move to the interior. Johnson and Thompson come to mind.
We are defiantly moving a DE to DT IMO. With Simmons back, it makes too much sense. Also, Trejo's bulked up and ready to move up the depth chart. Johnson makes the most sense, but Thompson keeps getting bigger. Even Robinson may be a candidate to slide inside with Simmons back healthy. Let's not forget Slayton may surprise and earn PT. DL not as dire as some think, without Raymon potentially not being ready to go. Rodney's underrated and supposedly played at 290lb at all-star game last month. Hope he qualifies and commits here, he's a kid who's been under the radar, but coming on strong in recruiting circles lately.

I am eager to see what Simmons can do. But it is important to keep in mind that this is a kid who hasn't played meaningful snaps yet. I HOPE that he brings it--I remember when we recruited him, several knowledgeable posters suggested that he might prove to be a better player than the more ballyhooed Ishaq Williams at DE. But before we anoint him, I want to see what he can do on the field.

The report form Coach Shafer was encouraging, but both of last year's DEs return and are coming off of solid years. I liked what I saw from Thompson and Johnson, and both are versatile players. Simmons has to fight his way up the depth chart, because all of those guys were contributors last season.

I hope he is up to the task. We could use more pass rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom