Is there any hope? | Syracusefan.com

Is there any hope?

rocfan44

All Conference
Serious question and serious responses please. Is there any hope at all that this season can be salvaged? It seems like this team shows flashes but then falls apart. If we can start to put together a complete game we can make some noise.

Serious question and serious responses please. Is there any hope at all that this season can be salvaged? It seems like this team shows flashes but then falls apart. If we can start to put together a complete game we can make some noise.
Imo this season is over and we will end up being a few games over .500

Too many flaws on this team; both athletically and defensively

The season is done unless Buddy gets stupid hot and we win a bunch of games in a row. The better question is whether or not the program is done? And could the program withstand a couple more years of JB or not? Those are the real questions this season is cooked.

Here's what's so hard about this question...

I think for a good majority of the fan base, it seems clear that a change is needed. My thought (could be way off) is that a losing season would expedite the change process, make it clear that the time has come.

But, man... I love Syracuse basketball heart & soul, they are my favorite sports team in the world. I was wondering if the same thing would happen last season, but we salvaged it & I was LOVING the NCAA tournament run. Ya boi was taking calls & texts from across the country from friends & family all about "Buddy Buckets!"

The change needs to come in the next year or two... but the NCAA tournament isn't close to the same without the Orange in it. I never want that. Ever.

Only hope now is to transition to Benny as starter with Jimmy coming off the bench. Benny keeps improving on defense and and offense and offers us something a little different than what Jimmy Jr can do . Doubt it happens but it should be painfully obvious you can have both Swider and Jimmy jr as your primary forwards. They are Awful defensively and with minutes Benny can come close to Jimmy’s production and make up for what he doesn’t with contributions elsewhere.

Absent that I don’t see much hope for getting better defensively. 17-14 or 16-15 regular season at best.

Cuse!

Absolutely yes. I believe this roster was constructed around Benny being a super frosh, like Banchero at Duke. Now it's taking more time than anyone would like, least of all Benny, for him to adjust, but he is ready now. I can see his confidence growing and expect him to come on strong for the rest of the season.

Here’s the problem…teams that have Hope have games where they step up and win games they shouldn’t. They don’t blow 18 point leads. Miami and UVA are BAD teams and we can’t get by them. Watch about 10 defensive sequences and just watch the rotations. You could run the same videos without us on the court and see the same offensive action. It’s really crazy how bad the D and rebounding are. Jimmy and Buddy are just really slow and lack will down there.

Here’s the problem…teams that have Hope have games where they step up and win games they shouldn’t. They don’t blow 18 point leads. Miami and UVA are BAD teams and we can’t get by them. Watch about 10 defensive sequences and just watch the rotations. You could run the same videos without us on the court and see the same offensive action. It’s really crazy how bad the D and rebounding are. Jimmy and Buddy are just really slow and lack will down there.
How can you say UVA is a bad team? They have one of the best coaches in the country who won a NC. He has talented players that he selected and are now gelling. That doesn't seem like a bad team. Miami has a lot of players that are very likable and are playing well together, and are at the top of the league.

If we won last night perhaps there was still a sliver of hope to turn this thing around, but I think it's impossible now. We're just in too big a hole with too many major problems.

Outside of Buddy going supernova again, I’m not sure.

If I were the coach, I’d start Sy and bump Buddy down to the three.

In an ideal world, the other wing would be Benny and things having clicked for him so we at least have one athletic wing defender.

But that’s a lot of what ifs and wishes.

The good news is the ACC is down this year, so you never know.

This was seen as the easier part of our schedule no? I don't think finishing above 500 is a given at all. We are half a season in - we know what we are and it is not good.

My bigger focus will be on minutes, and will we give Frank, Benny and Symir run to see what they have. I know the answer but I can hope.

How can you say UVA is a bad team? They have one of the best coaches in the country who won a NC. He has talented players that he selected and are now gelling. That doesn't seem like a bad team. Miami has a lot of players that are very likable and are playing well together, and are at the top of the league.
That’s a bad UVA team. We can make it seem like they are not to feel better if we want but UVA and Miami are bad. The whole league is trash for
The most part

That’s a bad UVA team. We can make it seem like they are not to feel better if we want but UVA and Miami are bad. The whole league is trash for
The most part
UVA followed up their win against Cuse with a road win at Clemson, who is a strong team. UVA can win the ACC. Wong is a real nice player at Miami and they have a lot of other good pieces for the kind of ball Larranaga wants to play. IMO.

UVA followed up their win against Cuse with a road win at Clemson, who is a strong team. UVA can win the ACC. Wong is a real nice player at Miami and they have a lot of other good pieces for the kind of ball Larranaga wants to play. IMO.
UVA winning the ACC lol

Lol what does VCU have to do with anything?
Because people have said they weren't a very good team, and they are the best defensive team in the country. To me UVA, UM and VCU are all tourney teams.

Ok. If you are somehow making this an argument that we are not awful I don’t buy it
Teams a work in progress, I still think they can get it together.

I don’t think there is anyway this team makes the NCAA tournament unless they win the ACCT. I do think they can salvage the season and finish with a winning record if some or the bench guys develop and rotations are solid.

I guess it depends on what your definition of success for the season is. The team has shown a lot of improvement, even though the results haven't been what we want them to be. They are still inconsistent and get rattled very easily. There are many reasons for this, and most have been hashed over multiple times on this board. I think eventually offensively we will become a cohesive unit, we aren't that far away from it. Jesse is really getting more involved, and it helps tremendously. Cole is the biggest question mark, and if he ever clicks we become very good. Bench play is slowly improving, will they get to where they need to be in time? The biggest issue-other than free throw shooting-is defense. The lack of quickness is the most alarming on this team, consistently giving up dribble drives. Jesse can only do so much, he needs help. Playing the 1-3-1 helps with this but opens up the corners to much. Going man to man probably wouldn't help to much either as we lack the overall quickness, but being the taller bodies on the floor our length would help disguise this a bit. Either way you go it is a gimmick. Benny would definitely help here, and if he does our season would have a definite uptick. In short, what your hopes are for a successful season will determine your happiness. I believe we will end up an NIT team, if there is a tourney this year, and will be improved enough to have a good run in it. I hope I am proven wrong, and that the light switch is flicked on today and we have a good run over the next two months.

I guess it depends on what your definition of success for the season is. The team has shown a lot of improvement, even though the results haven't been what we want them to be. They are still inconsistent and get rattled very easily. There are many reasons for this, and most have been hashed over multiple times on this board. I think eventually offensively we will become a cohesive unit, we aren't that far away from it. Jesse is really getting more involved, and it helps tremendously. Cole is the biggest question mark, and if he ever clicks we become very good. Bench play is slowly improving, will they get to where they need to be in time? The biggest issue-other than free throw shooting-is defense. The lack of quickness is the most alarming on this team, consistently giving up dribble drives. Jesse can only do so much, he needs help. Playing the 1-3-1 helps with this but opens up the corners to much. Going man to man probably wouldn't help to much either as we lack the overall quickness, but being the taller bodies on the floor our length would help disguise this a bit. Either way you go it is a gimmick. Benny would definitely help here, and if he does our season would have a definite uptick. In short, what your hopes are for a successful season will determine your happiness. I believe we will end up an NIT team, if there is a tourney this year, and will be improved enough to have a good run in it. I hope I am proven wrong, and that the light switch is flicked on today and we have a good run over the next two months.
In what way have we improved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom