Is there any hope? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is there any hope?

If you're going to be hopeful, Jesse Edwards is the reason

If next year's recruits can contribute, or we manage to get someone off the portal, there is a reasonable chance next year can be much better. When we have a center that is a focal point of the offense (senior year Rak, AO, etc), it changes everything. It will require an effort to get him the ball too.

This year is too far along to have a major turnaround. We are guaranteed 3 more losses with Duke (twice) and UNC. That gets us to 10 losses on the year, and than means winning every single other game in the ACC

Realistic upside if we get hot is 18-12, and that's limping into the NCAA's again

I would put the real over/under at 16-14, and an injury or cold streak away from losing record

Making the tournament at this point would be one of the more stunning developments in all of D1, imo. Would essentially need to go 12-5 the rest of the way to have a shot, maybe 11-6 with several legit wins included (Duke/Louisville/UNC). This assumes other games are not fully canceled.

Blowing the Gtown and Miami wins are really the two biggest missed opportunities. You turn those around, you're looking at 9-5. Substantially different than 7-7. Stunning to blow those 2.

In what way have we improved?
In every way. Jesse has improved offensively and defensively. Although we struggle against ball pressure they have figured out they need to help each other out instead of just leaving the ball handler in the back court. We have improved getting out on the shooters, although that has exposed the weaker help inside. Joe isn't forcing things quite as much, and Buddy isn't trying to force things by trying to carry the team when he is constantly double teamed. Benny and Symir are improving, and both deserve to get a bit more time in and I suspect they will going forward. A few games ago, the Miami turnaround would have turned into a complete blow out. Last night they were able to keep it a game, and even had chances to win it. One can just look at all the negatives and always be pessimistic, but these guys are trying, and learning.

Here’s the problem…teams that have Hope have games where they step up and win games they shouldn’t. They don’t blow 18 point leads. Miami and UVA are BAD teams and we can’t get by them. Watch about 10 defensive sequences and just watch the rotations. You could run the same videos without us on the court and see the same offensive action. It’s really crazy how bad the D and rebounding are. Jimmy and Buddy are just really slow and lack will down there.

I noticed the same thing with our rotations. Miami had a different gear than us. We are extremely slow, unathletic and cannot play an effective 2-3 with the guys we're running out there.

No. In past years, when things looked really bleak, JB would overcome by playing his best defensive players, riding them hard, and trying to win rock fights through superior coaching.

We don’t have any good defenders save Jesse and maybe Williams.

Last edited:
Making the tournament at this point would be one of the more stunning developments in all of D1, imo. Would essentially need to go 12-5 the rest of the way to have a shot, maybe 11-6 with several legit wins included (Duke/Louisville/UNC). This assumes other games are not fully canceled.

Blowing the Gtown and Miami wins are really the two biggest missed opportunities. You turn those around, you're looking at 9-5. Substantially different than 7-7. Stunning to blow those 2.
Only 4 teams from the ACC are currently in the bracket for the NCAA, so winning games in conference aren't getting us in.
Probably winning the ACC tournament is the only way in.

The issues with the team can't be fixed because the roster personnel is not good for a 2-3 zone defense or even the pick and roll offense. I'm still shocked JB put this roster together and actually thought it was going to work.

I can’t even watch a full game. That’s how bad it is for me.

a
That’s a bad UVA team. We can make it seem like they are not to feel better if we want but UVA and Miami are bad. The whole league is trash for
The most part
UVA lost to Bill & Mary and Navy. That's a bad UVA team for them but they are better than SYR

Losing to 4-10 Colgate is inexcusable. We should have seen this coming from that debacle.

At this point I am refocusing what I will try to enjoy when watching this team for the rest of the year. We unfortunately are not a Tournament team so my enjoyment will shift from winning to player growth. More specifically, Benny and Edwards's continued development. They are the key to this programs success in future years. Im not going to spend much energy hoping for wins or for staff changes because I'm going to try and focus on what can yield me the most positive enjoyment moving forward.

The one thing we should expect is that JB will at some point in the season run off five wins in a row. We’ve seen it before. The ACC is ripe this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom