Is there anything worse... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is there anything worse...

To be fair, it was about how to order NCAA tickets, or NIT tickets on the off-chance we don't make the Dance.
You might have gotten a different email. Mine didn't say off-chance. It gave the scenario for both but never said "in case we don't make the NCAA".

I'm finally starting to believe that JB is just dead wrong regarding players not getting tired, fatigued, or whatever.

I used to be in the camp that they are college aged highly athletic guys and they can handle at most 40 games in a season. I've flip flopped on this and have no problem admitting it.

I'm finally starting to believe that JB is just dead wrong regarding players not getting tired, fatigued, or whatever.

That's because he is. He's mentioned a couple of times that Duke won last year playing 6 guys. Well, duh, three of them were first round NBA picks. And, he's reminded us all about three wins in three days in the Bahamas when he only played six guys. Well, duh, it was November, no one was tired or fatigued at that point.

You might have gotten a different email. Mine didn't say off-chance. It gave the scenario for both but never said "in case we don't make the NCAA".
'Off-chance' was my attempt at humor - gallows humor. Didn't mean to make it sound as if the email said that.

A Clockwork Orange said:
Just to try and give some balance to my above info about the last three years, let's look at the the five years prior to that: Down the stretch (February and on): 2012-2013: 12-6 2011-2012: 12-2 2010-2011: 9-4 2009-2010: 9-4 2008-2009: 11-5 So that's a really good five year stretch of February and March basketball.

That was a good run, no question.

cuseguy said:
That was a good run, no question.

A good run and a blown opportunity to grab another NC.

Probably the last for JB.

That's because he is. He's mentioned a couple of times that Duke won last year playing 6 guys. Well, duh, three of them were first round NBA picks. And, he's reminded us all about three wins in three days in the Bahamas when he only played six guys. Well, duh, it was November, no one was tired or fatigued at that point.

Yup. Yet he contradicted himself going back to after the season ended with the Dayton loss. I wish I could find the damn quote but he came out and said (paraphrasing) that it was wrong playing Ennis/Cooney so many minutes. He said that's not something he wants to do again in the future.

sad part is i remember coach saying the exact same thing about jonny flynn.

Just to try and give some balance to my above info about the last three years, let's look at the the five years prior to that:

Down the stretch (February and on):

2012-2013: 12-6
2011-2012: 12-2
2010-2011: 9-4
2009-2010: 9-4
2008-2009: 11-5

So that's a really good five year stretch of February and March basketball.

It is a pretty good stretch. But here's some minutes played stats from those years:

In 2012 - 13, nine guys played at least 11 mins. Three of the starters played in the 30s, with Fair the most at 35. Southerland was essentially in that group at 29. But five other guys got at least 11 mins, with RAK at 21, Baye at 17, Jerami at 14, Coleman at 12 and Cooney at 11.

In 11 - 12, 10 guys played at least 10 mins a game. KJ had the most at 32 but none of the next five guys had more than 26. That was followed by Southerland at 16, Baye at 12, RAK at 11.5 and MCW at 10.

In 10 - 11, eight guys played at least 14 minutes. Three starters played at least 30 with Jackson at 32 and Scoop and KJ at 32. Triche was next at 29. Four other guys played at least 14 mins, including Waiters, Fair, Southerland and Baye. Fair played 18 and Waiters 16.

In 09 - 10, seven guys played at least 21 minutes, but only Wes at 35 and Rautins at 32 were in the 30s. The other five guys ranged from Triche’s 21 to KJ’s 28.

In 08 - 09, I don’t have MP stats but nine guys played in 34 games.

No 38 min guys, no 40s, much better distribution of minutes even in 09 - 10 with just seven playing. Somewhere since 12 - 13, JB lost what it means for players to be tired.

Yup. Yet he contradicted himself going back to after the season ended with the Dayton loss. I wish I could find the damn quote but he came out and said (paraphrasing) that it was wrong playing Ennis/Cooney so many minutes. He said that's not something he wants to do again in the future.

No it wasn't something he wanted to do in the future. He wanted to play guys all 40 minutes instead.

It is a pretty good stretch. But here's some minutes played stats from those years:

In 2012 - 13, nine guys played at least 11 mins. Three of the starters played in the 30s, with Fair the most at 35. Southerland was essentially in that group at 29. But five other guys got at least 11 mins, with RAK at 21, Baye at 17, Jerami at 14, Coleman at 12 and Cooney at 11.

In 11 - 12, 10 guys played at least 10 mins a game. KJ had the most at 32 but none of the next five guys had more than 26. That was followed by Southerland at 16, Baye at 12, RAK at 11.5 and MCW at 10.

In 10 - 11, eight guys played at least 14 minutes. Three starters played at least 30 with Jackson at 32 and Scoop and KJ at 32. Triche was next at 29. Four other guys played at least 14 mins, including Waiters, Fair, Southerland and Baye. Fair played 18 and Waiters 16.

In 09 - 10, seven guys played at least 21 minutes, but only Wes at 35 and Rautins at 32 were in the 30s. The other five guys ranged from Triche’s 21 to KJ’s 28.

In 08 - 09, I don’t have MP stats but nine guys played in 34 games.

No 38 min guys, no 40s, much better distribution of minutes even in 09 - 10 with just seven playing. Somewhere since 12 - 13, JB lost what it means for players to be tired.
Yep, I think fatigue has definitely played a factor these last three years. Lack of a bench and lack of players who can create their own shot has hurt the last couple of years.

So the years we made it the final four... Not tired.

Lose early or don't make it... Fatigued.

Good players don't get tired, but bad ones do?

Don't buy it. We're just not that good.

So the years we made it the final four... Not tired.

Lose early or don't make it... Fatigued.

Good players don't get tired, but bad ones do?

Don't buy it. We're just not that good.

The point was our good teams played more guys more minutes so fatigue wouldn't become a factor.

The 87 and 96 teams had seven-man rotations.

The Kentucky team that beat us in 1996 played 10 guys and Indiana in 87 played 9 guys. Our championship team played 8 guys significant minutes.

Last edited:
The Kentucky team that beat us in 1996 played 10 guys and Indiana in 87 played 9 guys. Our championship team played 8 guys significant minutes.
so the 87 and 96 teams lost because of fatigue?

So that's what you're saying? I didn't say that. I said they played more guys more minutes. Our championship team also did exactly that and so did our 87 and 2012 teams FF teams. The 96 team played seven guys significant minutes.

GoHamSU said:
We don't play with any passion for 40 full minutes

I'm pretty convinced they don't practice hard.

I've only seen practices a while ago, but they weren't intense

When you don't practice hard, it's easy to care less or give up.

One defense, one offense, one inbounds play, seemingly very little situational work.

Just my impressions from watching games, I could be wrong but don't think so.

Honestly if it weren't for some crazy 22 rebound game from Roberson, whom nobody including the coach seemingly likes, this season would be a disaster.

G's play and Colemans attitude were pleasant surprises

two3zone said:
I used to be in the camp that they are college aged highly athletic guys and they can handle at most 40 games in a season. I've flip flopped on this and have no problem admitting it.

The season use to be 32 games. It's now 41 hopefully

The problem is when we are pacing ourselves while the other team is going flat out. A sprinter can sprint for 1/4 mile; if it is an 880 then the runner will go at a slower pace. He is pacing himself. Basketball is no different. You can not go flat out for 40 minutes, even with intermittent timeouts, especially in the heat of these enclosed buildings. Take a look at the players as they are covered in dripping sweat. On the other hand, what choice did we have? Howard does not score and you cannot count on Roberson and DCII to score. Our problem was not our defense, it was our inability to score. I long for the old days when we used to run the other team off the court. That was fun basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom