Is there anyway Kaleb is good enough to be a 1st rounder after this year? | Syracusefan.com

Is there anyway Kaleb is good enough to be a 1st rounder after this year?

Shark58

BANNED
...just so I can get waaaaaaaay ahead of myself with a Chicken Little "we have no PG" mentality

~~~

gif not related
mmbmx4f.gif

He gone.

Related to your gif - if you're the dude inside that crazy dinosaur thing (I'm assuming it's a dude in there), once you've got that cheerleader in there with you, how far do you take it? I mean, you're definitely trying to get her phone number, but do you go straight to an attempted make out? Do you ask her to marry you? I kind of feel like you may never get the chance to be in a dinosaur costume that just swallowed a cheerleader again, so you better be ready to swing for the fences.

He is talented enough yes! Will he play well enough? Will SU play well enough? Will he like his projected position in the draft enough to leave or will he feel another season can move him up higher? It also has to do with the other players in the draft and overall strength of the draft. Its very possible that if SU has a great season or deep run that Kaleb will be headed to the NBA. I wouldn't put it at probable yet but we'll see.

I think a lot of it will depend on how well SU does this year. If they completely blow up and go undefeated going into January, they'll be getting plenty of media attention which will get the hype machine going around Kaleb, assuming he's playing as well as he did against Carleton. I think this was a HUGE factor that went into Ennis getting drafted after last season on top of his steady play. 25-0 and #1 in the country for several weeks will get you tons of attention.

Don't get me wrong, Ennis was a VERY good player especially as a freshman. He played so well under control and was quite a talent for us. However, what REALLY helped him get drafted is the attention that the team got on that 25-0 stretch and the attention he got particularly in the game winner against Pitt. Remember the stat they showed about how well he played in the final minutes of every game? They made a HUGE deal about it and showed it over and over on SportsCenter. Well, after the 25-0 start, that stat was blown up. Not that he played poorly but he wasn't quite the same consistently and didn't seem to have the magic that people thought he did during the undefeated run. It didn't really matter because by that time, he had already garnered the attention from scouts. Ennis = a great college player + being at the right place at the right time.

I would bet we have Kaleb for one more year, BUT...

He's absolutely got the combination of size/athleticism/talent. A 6-3, super athletic point guard who can knock down jumpers? Yes, the NBA will be paying very close attention to him.

I don't have the stats, but I'm curious: A) how many freshman point guards play 35+mpg over say the last decade and B) how many stick around for a second season. I know Flynn played a pile of minutes his first season and came back for a second. But other than that (admittedly I probably couldn't name another frosh PG that played 35 mpg off the top of my head), I wonder how the percentages shake out.

I don't have the stats, but I'm curious: A) how many freshman point guards play 35+mpg over say the last decade and B) how many stick around for a second season. I know Flynn played a pile of minutes his first season and came back for a second. But other than that (admittedly I probably couldn't name another frosh PG that played 35 mpg off the top of my head), I wonder how the percentages shake out.

Probably very few who play on perennial top25 teams. If they are good enough to play 35min a game for a team that is always in the mix then they are likely being sought after by the NBA.

I wish I could sit here and type that NBA personnel were smarter than watching SportsCenter and listening to media personnel talk about kids.

Unfortunately if I did do that I would probably be lying.

Probably very few who play on perennial top25 teams. If they are good enough to play 35min a game for a team that is always in the mix then they are likely being sought after by the NBA.
Case in point, Kyrie, who actually only played 11 games for Duke. He didn't play that many minutes in those but that was skewed by his early season injury.

That Gif totally stole the show. You should really change your handle to PhatRapta.. it just works..

And oh yes as for Kaleb- it will definitely come down to exposure. If we go on a tear and start climbing up the rankings his skillset could earn him and early ticket to Silverland.

I would bet we have Kaleb for one more year, BUT...

He's absolutely got the combination of size/athleticism/talent. A 6-3, super athletic point guard who can knock down jumpers? Yes, the NBA will be paying very close attention to him.

SHUSH it, you!!! Be quiet!!!

shq.gif

Last edited:
I don't think anything will be a surprise anymore. Selfishly it would really hurt losing both of this years Freshman.