Is This True? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is This True?

I mean recruiting rankings matter because your offensive line goes from good to terrible so quickly. How bad must the guys they don’t play there or WR be. Not to mention the WRs who were serviceable in 2018 somehow got drastically worse behind Trish. It’s a team sport and a next guy up thing unless that next guy is low ranked recruit who showed up worse than expected.

But we can’t pay too much attention to this. I think northeast kids going forward will be under ranked in the rankings and that’s where we need to find the studs and build our teams.

The OL went from good to terrible because:

[A.] We lost two bookend OT's to graduation -- including one who'd been a multi-year SEC starter
[B.] We had injuries in preseason camp that prevented the unit from gelling or establishing any continuity
[C.] The grad transfer we brought in to replace one of the graduating tackles failed to meet expectations
[D.] Losing a starter early in season forced the coaches to shuffle guys around into sub-optimal positions

The WRs underachieved becaue:

[A.] The OL was bad, and didn't give the QB time to throw
[B.] The QB was running for his life, was inexperienced, and locked into his primary receiver

Conversely, the QB who came before was able to make plays on the run, and spread the ball around. Guys like Riley and Nykiem didn't get worse over last off-season.

The OL went from good to terrible because:

[A.] We lost two bookend OT's to graduation -- including one who'd been a multi-year SEC starter
[B.] We had injuries in preseason camp that prevented the unit from gelling or establishing any continuity
[C.] The grad transfer we brought in to replace one of the graduating tackles failed to meet expectations
[D.] Losing a starter early in season forced the coaches to shuffle guys around into sub-optimal positions

The WRs underachieved becaue:

[A.] The OL was bad, and didn't give the QB time to throw
[B.] The QB was running for his life, was inexperienced, and locked into his primary receiver

Conversely, the QB who came before was able to make plays on the run, and spread the ball around. Guys like Riley and Nykiem didn't get worse over last off-season.

I agree with all you said - except the very last sentence.

Nykiem was injured, and clearly never got back to where he was prior season.

Riley was a Sr.
He shoulda been like Erv, and just made ways to get open - but he didn’t.
The O-line isn’t the reason Riley was soooo much less effective in the return game than he’d been prior.

They both spent the entire season on a milk carton.

I admire the lack of any ideas that you can propose. Further, I'm sure you had no idea what or where Milford Academy is. Keep drinking the Jim Jones Kool Aid.
Do you honestly think that anyone who frequents the football recruiting board has never heard of Milford Academy? This is your amazing new find for fixing SU football?

how exactly does this work again? SU recruits highly rated HS players (because remember, kids that the staff likes but don’t have big time offers are no good on this board), outrecruits all the factories to get the kid wanting to go to SU, but then tells him to leave his team and friends for his senior season and go to this prep school in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY where they will protect him and make sure he doesn’t sign with someone else.

or is SU just focusing on the kids that didn’t have big time offers out of HS that prep there fishing for offers and then get those big time offers while at Milford (cause remember without those big time offers at Milford the kid is still no good) and now outrecruit the factories which would happen now cause they’re at Milford?

just need a little more detail before I throw my support behind this new plan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom