IS Tyler Ennis an upgrade over MCW? | Syracusefan.com

IS Tyler Ennis an upgrade over MCW?

Gabjon

All American
Jason King may think so:

No. 11: Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse
Carter-Williams averaged 11.9 points, 7.3 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 2.3 steals last season, making him the most versatile point guard in all of college basketball as only a sophomore.
Is there a chance Syracuse could actually experience an upgrade at the position? That may be a stretch, but Telep said inserting freshman Tyler Ennis into the lineup won't cause the Orange to take a step back.
[+] Enlarge
AP PhotoSyracuse will turn to true freshman Tyler Ennis at the point.
"I think Tyler Ennis can have a really big role at Syracuse next year," Telep said. "There are some things he's naturally better at than Michael Carter-Williams. He's a better perimeter shooter and he has a strong voice as a leader. So I think that those two things combined give him a jump start on playing that position at Syracuse. He's a mature kid in his approach and his make-up."
Indeed, Carter-Williams -- who shot 39 percent from the field and 29 percent from the 3-point line -- could be his own worst enemy when things weren't going his way. But Syracuse fans also know the Orange would've never made the Final Four if not for MCW. Now they're hoping their squad will experience similar success with Ennis manning point. Having experienced players such as C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant to pass to certainly won't hurt.
"I think he'll be ready to go," Telep said. "It's very strange to talk about a high school kid replacing a lottery pick and using the word 'seamless.' But in many ways, Tyler is more ready to do this than Michael was at the same age.
"It's not 25 years ago anymore where we ask guys to come in and sit and learn. They need to be ready to go. Tyler is more than ready to be a starting point guard at a high-major team, even as a freshman."

Jason King may think so:

Carter-Williams averaged 11.9 points, 7.3 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 2.3 steals last season, making him the most versatile point guard in all of college basketball as only a sophomore.
Is there a chance Syracuse could actually experience an upgrade at the position? That may be a stretch, but Telep said inserting freshman Tyler Ennis into the lineup won't cause the Orange to take a step back.
[+] Enlarge
"I think Tyler Ennis can have a really big role at Syracuse next year," Telep said. "There are some things he's naturally better at than Michael Carter-Williams. He's a better perimeter shooter and he has a strong voice as a leader. So I think that those two things combined give him a jump start on playing that position at Syracuse. He's a mature kid in his approach and his make-up."
Indeed, Carter-Williams -- who shot 39 percent from the field and 29 percent from the 3-point line -- could be his own worst enemy when things weren't going his way. But Syracuse fans also know the Orange would've never made the Final Four if not for MCW. Now they're hoping their squad will experience similar success with Ennis manning point. Having experienced players such as C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant to pass to certainly won't hurt.
"I think he'll be ready to go," Telep said. "It's very strange to talk about a high school kid replacing a lottery pick and using the word 'seamless.' But in many ways, Tyler is more ready to do this than Michael was at the same age.
"It's not 25 years ago anymore where we ask guys to come in and sit and learn. They need to be ready to go. Tyler is more than ready to be a starting point guard at a high-major team, even as a freshman."
ESPN outside of Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman has gotten so bad whenever I read I an article by Jason King, Myron Metcalf, and Eammon Brennan I know its horrible. I like Ennis and think he has potential, but this article King wrote describing each lottery pick's replacement was atrocious. King, Brennan, Metcalf honestly must suck up to Katz or something because somebody like Marsh could do their job SO MUCH BETTER.

Interesting. In my mind Tyler doesn't need to match MCW's statistical production in order to be very effective. I'm thinking in the ballpark of 9 and 5 with better shooting percentages than MCW and we'll be in really nice shape.

ESPN outside of Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman has gotten so bad whenever I read I an article by Jason King, Myron Metcalf, and Eammon Brennan I know its horrible. I like Ennis and think he has potential, but this article King wrote describing each lottery pick's replacement was atrocious. King, Brennan, Metcalf honestly must suck up to Katz or something because somebody like Marsh could do their job SO MUCH BETTER.

Marsh would be great but would have to be toned down a bit.:)

One thing that surprised me was when they said that Tyler is a vocal leader. I've seen him play a dozen times; he does talk to his teammates but tends to lead more by example. He's pretty soft spoken and quiet overall but still is an excellent leader and will be in Orange as well.

every time ive seen ennis ( via links from francis , tee etc) or in the all star games he makes it clear that he has the reins regardless of who is on the floor. That alone , throwing statistics out the door makes me optomistic about next year. Also instead of crossing half court and looking to really make things happen - he seems to just calm everything and allow his teammates to get into a flow. I really think we will benefit a great deal having this kid if he can transfer that to the next level. i dont like making comparisons but he reminds me of kidd at times with his presence and command as a pg- maybe not the flashy eyes in the back of his head but definitely some of the other leadership traits- hope that sticks just with better shooting #'s :)

This is a tricky question really. If I consider the option of starting and playing incoming freshman Ennis OR a returning junior MCW, there's no question that MCW would get the nod. Obviously that's not the situation for us so if I consider freshman Ennis or freshman MCW, I probably would have to go with Ennis. Then again, perhaps the question is much more straight forward. In contemplating the possibility that Ennis will be equal to or improve upon MCW's statistical and leadership impact on last year’s team, I'll always side with the one that's already in the record books over the expectations of an unproven commodity. So, I suppose it really depends upon what version of MCW we want to use when answering this question. Regardless, it's nearly impossible to consider an incoming freshman as an "upgrade" over a departed lottery pick, no matter how much faith I have in Ennis to lead HIS team to the FF.

While a frosh Tyler certainly can't be considered an upgrade over the so MCW, the dropoff doesn't seem like it will be too bad. I'm more worried about the shooting guard replacement for Triche, it just seems like a more unsettled situation.

While a frosh Tyler certainly can't be considered an upgrade over the so MCW, the dropoff doesn't seem like it will be too bad. I'm more worried about the shooting guard replacement for Triche, it just seems like a more unsettled situation.
I think we'll get there. Although unproven at this level, we have options:
BJ - Probably our best shot at a perimeter game imo. I would have given the nod to Cooney, but he has to take a huge leap from last year.
Gbinije - Slasher, open court game. Might be serviceable as an outside shooter, but to be determined. I have a strong feeling he is going to be a monster defensively in the zone.
TC - Come on, bro. Not giving up on you. Heart and defensive aggressiveness alone might bring this guy back for us.
Buss - Can shoot, can certainly play defense. Question really is, how much run does he get to be accustomed to playing up top the 2-3?

Still, options and one or more of these guys step up. No question that happens. Our frontcourt is strong enough that these guys won't have to take over games to prove their value.

I think we'll get there. Although unproven at this level, we have options:
BJ - Probably our best shot at a perimeter game imo. I would have given the nod to Cooney, but he has to take a huge leap from last year.
Gbinije - Slasher, open court game. Might be serviceable as an outside shooter, but to be determined. I have a strong feeling he is going to be a monster defensively in the zone.
TC - Come on, bro. Not giving up on you. Heart and defensive aggressiveness alone might bring this guy back for us.
Buss - Can shoot, can certainly play defense. Question really is, how much run does he get to be accustomed to playing up top the 2-3?

Still, options and one or more of these guys step up. No question that happens. Our frontcourt is strong enough that these guys won't have to take over games to prove their value.
While it's possible you may be right, we have no idea what he is capable of in a college level situation. To me it's no different than knowing TC is our best shooter in practice.

Doubt he'll be an upgrade, but the analysis isn't bad. Ennis is likely to be a better shooter (because it'd be difficult to be worse), he probably won't be as reckless in some of his decision-making, and (to use the author's words) "he's a mature kid in his approach and his make-up," which should also be an improvement.

Can't imagine he'll be a better passer and he most certainly won't be a better rebounder (because virtually no guard could be) or defender (which isn't as clear-cut as it seems - I feel Mike was inconsistent and a little overrated in this regard, but no freshman is going to step in and be better at the top of the zone than he was last season).

Ennis can have fewer of Mike's 10-assist nights and spectacular dunks, fewer of the 6-turnover and 10+ shot attempt games, and be very effective for us. All we need is consistency - lower highs but higher lows.

I think this entire question is premature as we won't know what we have until the fall. I would love for the kid to end up being a Sherm type player for four years and I would take that over the one flashy (yet admittedly successful) year we had MCW IMHO

I think this entire question is premature as we won't know what we have until the fall. I would love for the kid to end up being a Sherm type player for four years and I would take that over the one flashy (yet admittedly successful) year we had MCW IMHO
I hear you but Sherm would have never played 4 years if he was a player today. If Ennis is that good we will be lucky to get two years out of him. Sherm was great from the beginning if the kid is great for the beginning he is gone. I don't think he will be great from the beginning but you can't have it both ways. anymore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I hear you but Sherm would have never played 4 years if he was a player today. If Ennis is that good we will be lucky to get two years out of him. Sherm was great from the beginning if the kid is great for the beginning he is gone. I don't think he will be great from the beginning but you can't have it both ways. anymore.

That is an opinion I don't necessarily agree as time travel has yet to be perfected :noidea:

Just curious why you think Sherm would not have been here for four years today.

Just curious why you think Sherm would not have been here for four years today.
Because the business of basketball has changed and players of his talent level don't stay 4 years anymore...nor should they. How many seniors were drafted in the first round this year?...1! CJ McCollum a kid from a mid-major.

No. I think Ennis will be a solid freshman guard in the ACC, a very good sophomore, and possibly all conference by junior year, but we will definitely miss MCW.

I don't think most SU fans realize how good MCW actually was. Put him on a team with 2 three point shooters (Duke) or two bigs that can score easy (UK 2012) and he would have had 10+ assists. SU was good last year, but when CJ and BT were off the court, MCW was the only guy who could create for himself or others. It's tough when you're asked to make something happen every single play and you can't dump it off to a big every now and then.

MCW is under-appreciated by a lot of SU fans, IMO. There's a reason he's a lottery pick. I'm pumped for Ennis, but MCW was a special talent, even with his ugly jumpshot ;)

Because the business of basketball has changed and players of his talent level don't stay 4 years anymore...nor should they. How many seniors were drafted in the first round this year?...1! CJ McCollum a kid from a mid-major.
Well, during that time period, Pearl and Billy Owens both left early. Do you think Sherm was less talented then they were.

Jason King may think so:

[+] Enlarge
I kind of thought and still do that MCW was a bit of a loose cannon with the ball in his hands As likely to throw it away as make a spectacular pass or drive in the pain. I think we are going to really like Ennis If he can distribute th ball as well as provide offense ,I think we will be fine with him in there. Its when he isn't in there is my concern.Foul trouble or breather or dinged are reasons he might not be on the floor. Jimmy and Mike are going to need a competent answer to this issue.

Tyler Ennis looked like a Mark Jackson clone when I watched him play.
He's not very vocal from what I could see, but he was the unquestioned leader on the court, and other players followed.
I also noticed times when he knew he needed to be more aggressive, & was.
Also, MCW now joins a long list of players who're under-appreciated by some SU fans, predictably AFTER they leave. He, and especially Brandon, will be greatly missed next year.
Finally, I still have faith in Trevor Cooney and believe he'll emerge as that sniper we need at SG. If one considers the job that Hancock did at L'Ville, let's not forget that he was a transfer (G. Mason), and had 2 years under his belt. He was used to NCAA pressure and it showed. Cooney will surprise many detractors this year- Bookmarket!

Well, during that time period, Pearl and Billy Owens both left early. Do you think Sherm was less talented then they were.
yes...but he was mentally stronger. The bigger point is back then seniors dominated the first round and today there was one senior chosen. The league and the business of basketball has changed.

Doubt he'll be an upgrade, but the analysis isn't bad. Ennis is likely to be a better shooter (because it'd be difficult to be worse), he probably won't be as reckless in some of his decision-making, and (to use the author's words) "he's a mature kid in his approach and his make-up," which should also be an improvement.

Can't imagine he'll be a better passer and he most certainly won't be a better rebounder (because virtually no guard could be) or defender (which isn't as clear-cut as it seems - I feel Mike was inconsistent and a little overrated in this regard, but no freshman is going to step in and be better at the top of the zone than he was last season).

Ennis can have fewer of Mike's 10-assist nights and spectacular dunks, fewer of the 6-turnover and 10+ shot attempt games, and be very effective for us. All we need is consistency - lower highs but higher lows.
This ^^^^^
pretty much hits the nail on the head. I also think that the demeanor of the point guard can be as valuable an asset as their skill set. As Orangezoo mentioned above, Ennis's calm, steady and even approach will be something we haven't seen in quite a while. Although we have had some outstanding talent at point, Flynn, Jardine, MCW ... calm, steady, consistent they were not. I'm looking forward to that aspect of Tyler's game.

The fact that there is even discussion about Ennis possibly being an upgrade, while not likely, is a good thing in and of itself. I'm feeling that JB is going to have so many more options than he's ever had before that there's no way this team isn't really good by the end of the year. The depth and average player talent level is at the programs all time high water mark IMHO.

One other thing, I too agree that MCW was under appreciated IN SOME AREAS of his game and perhaps overall by some people. He was / is a special talent and will represent SU well in the league for years to come.

Jason King may think so:

Is there a chance Syracuse could actually experience an upgrade at the position? That may be a stretch, but Telep said inserting freshman Tyler Ennis into the lineup won't cause the Orange to take a step back."
We will probably take a hit defensively in the first year, but on offense, I am not quite so sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom